UKBouldering.com

Stanage HVS challenge (Read 22446 times)

Tommy

• junky
#25 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
August 25, 2012, 10:46:40 am
JB, aren't you going to break the Staff's Nose time with Andi? Or has he got some other hotshot partner  :)

I've always wondered if someone could do the Peak District Midgard Serpent. All the Eastern and Western grit Brown and Whillan's route in a day. I've got the list and it's absolutely monumental. And quite scary.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
August 25, 2012, 11:32:35 am
Tom, I'd like to see your version. 

I made a start some time ago here and got to 125. 

I was thinking of making them a lifetime goal; in-a-day would be astonishing.

Tommy

• junky
#27 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
August 25, 2012, 11:51:57 am
Shit, I never noticed that was one at Rylstone and Widdop. That does make it hard!

Although.......... do these fall outside of "Western/Eastern grit"? You could exclude the Yorkshire ones.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#28 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
August 31, 2012, 10:42:12 am
Be keen to try again...

What! I thought we made a pact to chuck away our comfy boots and only boulder from now on?

Adam having had more than enough after only 33 pitches (and well off route if you look at Alpinist JB):

Although I wouldn't mind another go at the HVS challenge or the Staffs Nose (might be tricky to fit into my 6 hour window whilst May is at school)

Tommy

• junky
#29 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
August 31, 2012, 09:04:43 pm
Ben, 6hrs is perfect! You've also got the added incentive to get it finished nice and fast  :)

Get Adam in a pair of 5.10 trainers and surely he's an unstoppable partner?

Eddies

• forum hero
#30 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 01, 2012, 12:01:33 am
Andi asked me if I was up for the nose challenge with him... i said "HEEEEL NOOO" Gutted Pete and him missed out by such a narrow margin :o(
Note how the 5c's in that list only got 1star
Likkle bit scary for HVS me thinks!?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#31 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:23:45 am
Forecast was looking good for Sunday and I had an offer of belay/support from semi-retired slab legend Jon Coe, so went for it. Slept in the van close by so I didn’t have to wake any earlier than needed, got to Suzzanne at 7:15 (opted to leave the two at Apparent North till last, so I could get through the Popular end quickly before the crowd turned up and so Jon didn’t have to turn up early to belay as I planned to solo the first 28 on the list, with the exception of the route Apparent North). Finished the last route at 19:45 with not much light to spare. Conditions were pretty good, got a bit hot in the middle but a good breeze all day kept sweat levels down and midges away. Crowds got a bit problematic from High Neb onwards with nine routes having to be picked off on the way back along the edge. Soloed or led all the routes listed, plus accidentally did an extra one on the popular end I thought was on the list but wasn’t. The E4 which I was undecided all day whether I’d try or not went ok in the end. The Vice nearly proved a heartbreaker though, as 66th route of the day and not having been on it before I struggled. It took an hour, a fall, some dogging, too much skin and a good deal of swearing before I got my tired bones up it. The remaining nine routes were all fairly gruelling after this with tired crampy arms. Great day out, well worth the effort. Beer in the Norfolk with Jon and Parry went down very well indeed.
Ten hours was too optimistic and generally reflects the fact that the mission as a whole was a bit harder than I’d guessed at. Having never done more than about twenty routes in a day before I didn’t realise how full body tired you get after treble that number, even if none of it is especially desperate. That said I didn’t race round and stopped to chat with folk, had to zigzag about a fair bit due to crowds, sat down and ate proper foot, led some I would have otherwise soloed ( so Jon had a fun day too) and did one that wasn’t on the list. Had I done it on a quiet weekday, started at Apparent North , pre-practiced The Vice, soloed everything I was happy to and not done an extra one I think I’d have done it in about ten hours.
Reckon that’s my lot for multi route marathons this year but already thinking about good ones for next year. Fancy doing the VS version of this mission as a full solo, the E1 (mostly lead), anyone done the E2s, a hundred E point day, classic  HVS’s along Froggatt-Curbar-Baslow, the Staffs Nose, the possibilities are endless…

tomtom

• forum hero
#32 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:31:40 am
Effort Bonjoy!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#33 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:33:25 am
Nice word, impressed! So 12.5 hours is the time to beat? I think one or two mistakes are inevitable on a mission of this type, its ,making sure you didn't miss any that can be tough.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#34 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:43:27 am
Forecast was looking good for Sunday and I had an offer of belay/support from semi-retired slab legend Jon Coe, so went for it. Slept in the van close by so I didn’t have to wake any earlier than needed, got to Suzzanne at 7:15 (opted to leave the two at Apparent North till last, so I could get through the Popular end quickly before the crowd turned up and so Jon didn’t have to turn up early to belay as I planned to solo the first 28 on the list, with the exception of the route Apparent North). Finished the last route at 19:45 with not much light to spare. Conditions were pretty good, got a bit hot in the middle but a good breeze all day kept sweat levels down and midges away. Crowds got a bit problematic from High Neb onwards with nine routes having to be picked off on the way back along the edge. Soloed or led all the routes listed, plus accidentally did an extra one on the popular end I thought was on the list but wasn’t. The E4 which I was undecided all day whether I’d try or not went ok in the end. The Vice nearly proved a heartbreaker though, as 66th route of the day and not having been on it before I struggled. It took an hour, a fall, some dogging, too much skin and a good deal of swearing before I got my tired bones up it. The remaining nine routes were all fairly gruelling after this with tired crampy arms. Great day out, well worth the effort. Beer in the Norfolk with Jon and Parry went down very well indeed.
Ten hours was too optimistic and generally reflects the fact that the mission as a whole was a bit harder than I’d guessed at. Having never done more than about twenty routes in a day before I didn’t realise how full body tired you get after treble that number, even if none of it is especially desperate. That said I didn’t race round and stopped to chat with folk, had to zigzag about a fair bit due to crowds, sat down and ate proper foot, led some I would have otherwise soloed ( so Jon had a fun day too) and did one that wasn’t on the list. Had I done it on a quiet weekday, started at Apparent North , pre-practiced The Vice, soloed everything I was happy to and not done an extra one I think I’d have done it in about ten hours.
Reckon that’s my lot for multi route marathons this year but already thinking about good ones for next year. Fancy doing the VS version of this mission as a full solo, the E1 (mostly lead), anyone done the E2s, a hundred E point day, classic  HVS’s along Froggatt-Curbar-Baslow, the Staffs Nose, the possibilities are endless…

what a day! The vice must have felt grim.

Im excited for when you bring all this training to bear in the greater ranges  :popcorn:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#35 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:46:09 am
Having never done more than about twenty routes in a day before I didn’t realise how full body tired you get after treble that number, even if none of it is especially desperate.

I remember trying to solo 100 routes in a day years ago, starting at Birchen.  We got to mid 80s before we gave up.  It's harder than you may expect.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#36 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:48:49 am
Nice one Bonjoy. Amazing effort.

andy_e

• forum hero
#37 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 11:49:24 am
Great effort Bonus Joyous.

I got to 64 at Stanage, then my shoulder dislocated half-way up a severe and I had to do the rest of the route one-armed. Still got shoulder issues to this day!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 12:14:33 pm
 :clap2: :bow: Good effort, sounds like the pints were well deserved.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#39 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 01:06:35 pm

Im excited for when you bring all this training to bear in the greater ranges  :popcorn:

Me too, Froggatt, Curbar, hey maybe even the Roaches!

dave

#40 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 01:21:36 pm
You didn't look nearly ruined enough for my liking. Clearly wasn't hard enough. I mean you didn't even doze off in the pub for fucks sake!

I reckon a good one would be to park at rowsley, walk to chatsworth edge then head north doing any starred route up to VDiff finishing at stanage north, at which point you have to walk to the A57 then attempt to hitch back to your car. The Gritstone Cuillin.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#41 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 01:52:41 pm
...at which point you have to walk to the A57 The Strines then attempt to hitch back to your car for food and beer, . The Gritstone Cuillin.
and a nice midgey camp in the woods and you'll have the full Cuillin experience

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#42 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 02:23:27 pm
Cracking effort Bonjoy!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 02:25:33 pm
...at which point you have to walk to the A57 The Strines then attempt to hitch back to your car for food and beer, . The Gritstone Cuillin.
and a nice midgey camp in the woods and you'll have the full Cuillin experience

Provided the rain is horizontal (+/- 5 degrees) and there is the occasional sleet squall.

andy_e

• forum hero
#44 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 02:34:40 pm
All interspersed with blue skies and mad heat for ten minutes, before the return of the rain.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#45 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 04:57:58 pm
You didn't look nearly ruined enough for my liking. Clearly wasn't hard enough. I mean you didn't even doze off in the pub for fucks sake!

I reckon a good one would be to park at rowsley, walk to chatsworth edge then head north doing any starred route up to VDiff finishing at stanage north, at which point you have to walk to the A57 then attempt to hitch back to your car. The Gritstone Cuillin.

Blimey.

So that'd be (assuming you discount any minor crags / boulders / quarries?):

Chatsworth
Birchen
Gardoms
Baslow
Curbar
Froggatt
Tegness (as I'm assuming popping in and ticking the Pinnacle would be a must!)
Yarncliffe
Lawrencefield
Millstone
Burbage South
Higgar
Burbage West
Burbage North
Stanage Popular
Stanage High Neb
Stanage North

Including all of the walking inbetween, that'd be a proper mission...(Heads off to trawl guidebooks / get notebook...)

dave

#46 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 05:34:59 pm
I reckon only the main continuous edge line, so you can bin millstone, higgar, west, lawrencefield, and yarncliffe.

More seriously a very good day out in terms of walking which I did a couple of years ago in january is to start at strines, head up the back to derwent and then and walk south along the main crag line to finish at the robin hood at birchens. Its 20miles and you could spice it up by say doing all the *** routes of a given grade on the way, or say one *** route at every main crag/section or something.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#47 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 05:46:03 pm
I think there's already an organised race along those lines isn't there?

205Chris

• forum hero
#48 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 06:14:38 pm
I think there's already an organised race along those lines isn't there?

You're not wrong - Nine Edges

It raises money for Edale MRT.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#49 Re: Stanage HVS challenge
September 11, 2012, 07:24:26 pm
Nice one Bonjoy.  Sounds like a cracking day out, especially sat here in a London office.

I've done the Nine Edges as a run/climb years ago '93 but started at Rivelin and then out to strines for Derwent then onto Stanage and the crags to Chatsworth.  Did it on my own 'unsupported', went a bit hard, ran out of water and ended up with ITB.  Can't remember the time but it was a long day out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal