UKBouldering.com

buildings insurance biz (Read 1267 times)

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
buildings insurance biz
November 20, 2012, 11:03:00 am
just noticed a few cracks in the corner of the kitchen and on inspection of the outside noticed a few diagonal cracks in the mortar. having seen a few of those home programmes and their few theories to pinpoint sources of, it appears the drain maybe the issue.
the drain itself is part of a 30yo extention that must seemingly go to the original (1930s) house waste.

looking thru my buildings insurance (sainsbury's) they say "water escaping from any fixed water source inc underground drains" though not covering any damage to the building.

anyone used their insurance for the drains issues?

I'm contentplating in calling them but just seen the excess totals £1250, is it just worth going private?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: buildings insurance biz
November 20, 2012, 04:14:58 pm
No idea. I'd ask them how they handle things. BTW Direct Line seem to like cash settlements ie wouldn't oversee works, just agree on a sum and let you get on with it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: buildings insurance biz
November 20, 2012, 05:16:50 pm
Just watch it if they class it as subsidence... it may have a much higher excess and prove to be a millstone around your neck when it comes to re-selling/further insurance etc...

I'd get a lurrcal builder to have a squint first...

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#3 Re: buildings insurance biz
November 21, 2012, 11:32:14 am
already given them a call and they're sending out a surveyor next week to look over it., hopefully its all due to the drain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal