UKBouldering.com

DIY advice (Read 2406 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
DIY advice
November 17, 2012, 05:44:05 pm
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on A. a good white paint for wooden floors and B. a good staining product for wooden floors. Getting towards that point in the house where its time to think about flooring, as most other work is done  :2thumbsup:

A few folks have recommended Ronseal Diamond paint for the bedroom floor, but its get mixed reviews so any advice here would be great. Also looking into a good staining product for the living room floor. Its worth noting I have sanded both floors back with a kick ass industrial floor sander so they are both ready to go.

Many thanks in advance  :icon_beerchug:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 Re: DIY advice
November 17, 2012, 07:02:26 pm
What every man needs. A big tub of Bona...  ;) Brilliant Pro stuff used in museums etc
Only used the matt floor varnish, but was the best product I've ever put on floors. If their paint is the same it will be amazing. Probably do stains etc, but highly recommend the water based Mega extra matt
Should find some on ebay.
http://www.bona.com/en/Consumer/Indoor1/Indoor/Paint/Wood-Floor-Paint/

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#2 Re: DIY advice
November 17, 2012, 11:58:53 pm
My only advice is test on a hidden area the varnish/ stain combinations for the floor before you go for it.  I'd even do a section and live with it a day or so.  We did the same and stripped it all back, then put a light oak stain on and then began with two coats of varnish for durability, the next day I got the stripper bank as the top coats of varnish had significantly changed the colour.  What followed was about 5 test attempts to get agood combination and we've solved it by putting in a brand new oak floor! FFS! 

I thought I knew better... I've stripped and stained, or varnished a few floors and never quite had this problem before.  I think it's cos this room has large windows front and back, back is south facing, so through the day the light changes considerably as does the colour.  I never thought it mattered until now, but at one point we had a tango floor despite testing!  Arrghhh ... Good luck! 

Watch out for the difference oil or water based combinations can give and test test test! 

Enjoy!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: DIY advice
November 18, 2012, 08:42:27 am
Good advice from Ti-Pin. This is why we always have stuck to clear varnish. Even this darkens the wood a bit.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#4 Re: DIY advice
November 18, 2012, 11:29:22 am
Cheers for the advice, most appreciated! Experience counts for so much.

I'll have a look into the Bona stuff, a quick check leads me to believe they have a UK outlet in Milton Keynes. I'll email them to check price and delivery etc. Someone I was chatting to last night mentioned International Paint as a good brand and the floor paint was highly recommended. Its available in Wilkinson's so that could be a good option as I have one near by.

With regards to the stain/varnish option, I quite like the colour it is now so maybe getting a clear one that will darken slightly is a good route to take. Will certainly to a test though as we have a decent sized window front and back with the front being South facing.

Good arrows all round gents, consider yourselves wadded!!  :bow:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#5 Re: DIY advice
November 18, 2012, 02:58:44 pm
International could be a good bet for floor paint. They started making boat paints so know a thing or two about toughness. A quick Google makes me think the Bona paint is not widely stocked. Possibly as its their consumer range whereas the stuff I have used is their pro range and easily available on eBay. If you do use the Mega stuff get yourself a small foam roller set from toolstation or ScrewFix etc. Ideal for the job. One if the best things about it is its completely harmless.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#6 Re: DIY advice
November 19, 2012, 03:34:55 pm
I've ended up getting some International stuff from Wilkinsons, very pleased to find it was reduced as well! Happy days.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal