UKBouldering.com

Roche Abbey (Read 4622 times)

webbo

• forum hero
Roche Abbey
July 30, 2012, 02:49:32 pm
Me and my mate Bob were asked to leave Roche Abbey on saturday. Intially the security guard on the abbey said we shouldn't be climbing, we were on Beef buttress at the time. However he suggested if we moved down the other end we would probably be all right.
However 2 guys who said they worked for the Earl of Scarborough then appeared and said we were breaking the law climbing because it was an SSSI. We attempted to explain this was not the case, they then came out with the landowner being sued etc.
So we left having got the guys name and number as Bob is going to pass it on to the BMC.
There was another team turned up as we were leaving who informed what happened, I'm not sure whether they stayed and climbed.
I guess climbing after the gate is locked might be the best option gor the time being.

TonyS

• regular
#1 Re: Roche Abbey
July 31, 2012, 09:25:44 pm
Hi Guys,

This has always been the case at Roche.  I dont know if the estate manger is still the same person as I managed to negotiate access with (long hair and a climber).

The sec gaurds work for EH as far as know not the ES but it has always been the ES that did not want climbing here.  The main objection up till now has been people toppig out. 

The SSSI is rather interesting, as far as I remember it was given this for a plant growing on the pastures where the picnic tables use to be. This is now over run with weeds, brambles and godknows what else.  I very much doubt if this could be contested that it would now get a SSSI status.

You did the right thing by leaving, but just keep a low profile, heads down and no noise and keep going but access from the far end of abbey, either by parking at the top and walking slighty down before the path leads left to the butress or park in the dip and walk along the bottom trak.

Just out of interest and for next time (if there is a next time) try pointing out that while bouldering is taking place the crime level in the area has dropped bue to the venues being more populated.  See what they make of that. (the point is correct as I have spoken with police when they were operating a sting down in the car park)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Roche Abbey
July 31, 2012, 10:08:44 pm
The SSSI is rather interesting, as far as I remember it was given this for a plant growing on the pastures where the picnic tables use to be. This is now over run with weeds, brambles and godknows what else.  I very much doubt if this could be contested that it would now get a SSSI status.

I don't know the site, but SSSI information is available on the Natural England website.

Citation for Roche Valley Woodlands:

This site is the most important woodland for nature conservation on the southern parts of the
Magnesian limestone in Great Britain and is the largest of its type in South Yorkshire. The
semi-natural parts include examples of rare woodland types, notably calcareous sessile oakash-
wych elm and sessile oak-ash-lime, and the structure approximates to a natural state which
is very rare indeed amongst lowland mixed broadleaf woods. Large-leaved lime is unusually
common and like other ancient semi-natural woods this site contains a range of natural soils.
The main tree species are sessile oak, ash, lime (both small-leaved and large-leaved), wych elm
and silver birch. Hazel, holly and yew are common in the understorey while less frequently
occurring shrubs include buckthorn Rhamnus catharticus, field maple, spindle, wild privet and
wild service tree Sorbus torminalis.
The field layer contains a number of species largely confined to ancient woodlands including
lily-of-the-valley Convallaria majalis, yellow star of Bethlehem Gagea lutea, green helleborine
Helleborus viridis, toothwort Lathraea squamaria, hard shield fern Polystichum aculeatum and
wood barley Hordelymus europaeus.
In the valley bottom alder and willow carr is developing to replace marshy grassland and the
swamp vegetation around the margins of Laughton Pond. Together with areas of calcareous
grassland and scrub on the northern most valley slopes of Norwood these habitats, although
subsidiary to the main woodland interest of the site, contribute significantly to the botanical
and entomological interest of the site as a whole.

It doesn't look to me that any species in particular is being targeted here (though there is a confusing mistake with one potential species: Helleborus viridis is green hellebore, not 'helleborine'). The whole strip of magnesian limestone is a pretty unusual environment and many of the natural sites are listed as SSSIs as a result. However I wouldn't consider climbing to be a threat to any of the species or communities listed in the citation. As a rule designation as an SSSI is very unlikely to have any bearing on access for climbing; Stanage, Malham, Horseshoe etc are all SSSIs. Sites designated for geological interest should not be affected either as a rule.

Bradders

• forum hero
#3 Re: Roche Abbey
January 09, 2023, 08:46:23 am
Last time I went to Roche I left after dark (about a year ago, so wasn't late maybe 6pm) and there was a gate shut on the exit which thankfully opened automatically as I approached...anyone been recently and know if the same still applies?

m.cooke.1421

• regular
#4 Re: Roche Abbey
January 09, 2023, 08:59:22 am
I'm pretty sure the gate has a sensor that opens automatically when a car approaches from the inside. You can always park at the bottom of Gipsy lane instead. https://goo.gl/maps/nSb2HKyzPx8ySiBx7

JoelWood

#5 Re: Roche Abbey
January 09, 2023, 09:07:49 am
Yeah it runs off a sensor (or definitely did - it's winter so i haven't been in a while!)

They try and tell you it won't open for you again because it reads your reg, but that would just mean they'd have to come and let you out, so i highly doubt it.

As Mat says though, i've always parked on Gipsy lane, puts you in the middle of all three and is only 5 mins walk either way.

sdm

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Roche Abbey
January 09, 2023, 10:06:24 am
Gate and sensor are still there as of yesterday. I usually park on Gypsy Lane.

Conditions at Beef Buttress were great yesterday.

Bradders

• forum hero
#7 Re: Roche Abbey
January 09, 2023, 12:13:14 pm
Thanks all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal