UKBouldering.com

Superimposing a climber's centre of gravity in a video sequence (Read 2469 times)

petejh

• forum hero
I'm trying to find a way to superimpose a climber's centre of gravity plus a framework connecting hand and footholds in a video sequence, so I that I can analyse balance and movement on a route or boulder problem. I'm pretty handy with Illustrator/Indesign and Photoshop but I'm a complete newbie with Premier Pro. Anybody know a simple way to do this?

I've tried messing around with this: http://www.vpfundamentals.com/    Ideally I'd like to create something similar to the video sequences on the Self-Coached Climber dvd but for personal movement analysis, albeit of a geeky nature.

Might also post this on the training forum.

tomtom

• forum hero
ooh... tricky!
Putting my physics cap on - you could make the very broad assumption that the CoG is in the centre of the torso.. you could then have a link between wrist and shoulder, and hip and ankle - then represent the torso with a link between the two - then have the CoG as the centre of that torso link...
Very crude - but might work..

A more sophisticated way would be to account for the weight of the limbs and head as well as the torso..

petejh

• forum hero
Yep it depends how accurately you want to be working out the C of G and I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't need to be that exact for the end purposes of the video. The end purpose would be to show the base of support formed by the hand and footholds, and where the C of G sits within (and without) the frame formed by the base of support. I don't think working out the exact physics would be that beneficial - I'll start by assuming the torso centre to be the C of G. Ideally I'd then mark this and the mark would move with the climber. So far this means marking on every frame of the film and then playing it back, quite a slow process. I haven't figured out how to create the frameworks between the holds just yet. I'd have thought there must be ways to mark the frame on Premiere pro and have this advance with the climber?

Tb

• Derby Arboretum Boulder
Have a look at Kinovea http://www.kinovea.org/en/  its free and open source and is great for movement analysis, and has a movement tracking tool which  i think should do the job.  Look under tracking objects or body joints in the help file.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Might also post this on the training forum.
Sorry but I removed the other topic - duplicates are discouraged.  I can move it over there if you feel that was a better location for it though.

petejh

• forum hero
Thanks Tb I'll check that out.

No worries Bubba.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal