UKBouldering.com

dws mallorca family hols (Read 2961 times)

ianto9

• player
dws mallorca family hols
July 08, 2012, 05:40:20 pm
Taking the family to cala d'or ,wondering which are the best places to hop of too for a few hours on my own,and are there bolts to clip a rope to at the tops of the crags,cala serena is probably closest but any other suggestions and advise.
cheers

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#1 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 08, 2012, 08:31:52 pm
Think DWS and you don't have to abandon the family. Take them with you to Cala Barques. Parking is a bit of a pain but the beach is lovely once you get there. There are plenty of S0 and S1 routes and always loads of people around if there is a mishap. 

mark

• forum abuser
#2 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 08, 2012, 09:57:08 pm
Our family summer holidays have been to Mallorca for the last 3 years, last year with Shark and his tribe. (Shoal? Curious about the correct collective noun for sharks, I just googled it and it turns out that 'shiver' is one option. Lovely.) The first two years we stayed in Cala D'Or. If you are on your own then Shark is right, Barques is best. Great routes, always other climbers around, and while the cave is often humid I've always had decent conditions on the Metrosexual section, even in the middle of summer. No bolts at the top but you don't need them. The beach is lovely for family, too. Diablo is not a good idea if you're on your own and I've only ever seen one other climber there on my visits. Porto Colom is excellent and there are usually other climbers there. When are you going?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 08, 2012, 10:21:46 pm
Our family summer holidays have been to Mallorca for the last 3 years, last year with Shark and his tribe. (Shoal? Curious about the correct collective noun for sharks, I just googled it and it turns out that 'shiver' is one option. Lovely.)

Funny what google turns up. The Sharkettes are a cheerleading troupe...

ianto9

• player
#4 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 08, 2012, 10:39:50 pm
thanks,going 1st week in august,is it tricky getting out at serena

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 09, 2012, 12:58:29 am
I think that'd likely be too early for Diablo anyway; you need to wait until the sun gets low in the sky or else the steep sections don't have any time to dry off/de-grease.

If you do venture there (not something I'd suggest on your own), make sure the fishermans ladder by the descent is IN the water before climbing into the main cave or ledge.

As suggested Barques is your best option but don't leave anything valuable in your car. Porto Colom is also very good if you're on your own (in a climbing sense), as long as your family can wander around as if they were rock-pooling the approach shouldn't be too tricky.

T_B

• forum hero
#6 Re: dws mallorca family hols
July 09, 2012, 10:06:35 am
As above, Barques best bet. Diablo is terrifying on your own and likely gopping (I was there last week in August and it was wet until the final day of our trip).

DO NOT TAKE ANY VALUABLES WITH YOU TO THESE VENUES - don't leave stuff in the car, but don't take anything valuable to the crag either. Lots of people have had stuff stolen from the tops of the cliffs, even when it's been stashed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal