UKBouldering.com

Castell y Gwynt open for business (Read 3482 times)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 27, 2012, 05:03:30 pm
Nesting restriction has just been lifted on main part of the cliff:

http://news.v12outdoor.com/2012/06/27/castell-y-gwynt-seasonal-nesting-restriction-lifted-early/

So get to it - one of the best limestone crags in North Wales.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 27, 2012, 06:16:39 pm
For a minute then I was expecting a grand unveiling of the amazing blocs to be had on the summit of Glyder Fach. Next year?

petejh

• forum hero
#2 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 27, 2012, 07:03:32 pm
For a minute then I was expecting a grand unveiling of the amazing blocs to be had on the summit of Glyder Fach. Next year?

Nodder's hard at work on it sans oxygen.

Good to see pro-activity from the wardens regards the Gwynt; Diamond next? Hopefully heading down the Gwynt in the next week to give The Long Goodbye a proper lower-off and stick a bolt or two in the lower wall on Central Pillar - possibly the earliest confirmed 8a in the UK? (although 8a+ had already been done).

Doylo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 28, 2012, 01:26:21 pm
although its likely thats its got harder so maybe 7c+ at the time? Actually i bet it was 8a, still can't believe that Masterclass was the standard for 7c+

Pantontino

• forum hero
#4 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 28, 2012, 03:29:17 pm

For those who don't mind a good stomp the promised land is at the Capel end of the Glyderau.

Actually, the true promised land is in a completely different place further south - Huffy knows; he described it as the most impressive collection of undeveloped boulders he had ever seen...

petejh

• forum hero
#5 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 28, 2012, 09:59:59 pm
I'm only an occassional boulderer but I've seen a promised land - it's a wild upland made of silvery grit, promised hike too.

Pantontino

• forum hero
#6 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 29, 2012, 10:45:40 am
Down in the Rhinogs perchance?

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=570

(This is not the place Huffy told me about)

petejh

• forum hero
#7 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 29, 2012, 01:37:53 pm
Down in the Rhinogs perchance?

http://www.northwalesbouldering.com/newsitem.asp?nsid=570

(This is not the place Huffy told me about)

It is indeed. Not the roman steps ones in George's BOTM although I have looked around there and it looks good, but another area on the Northern tip of the range accessed via a 30ish minute hike from a single-track road to the West of the power station (close to where you went in you V12 report). I've even given Nodder grid refs and circled it on the O/S map, but these boulderers just don't like to get out of their comfort zone! I've done all the obvious easy lines btw... (anything up to V12)  :P

Martin Crocker's prob done it all before anyway.

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 29, 2012, 05:15:57 pm
pete, would gr 671 355 be about right?
looks like some sizeable blocs on google maps

petejh

• forum hero
#9 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
June 29, 2012, 10:16:33 pm
Yes that's the area. The whole plateau area North of Diffwys/Foel Penolau. The pictures below were from some exploring I did in Spring 2009 whilst house-sitting a cottage in the Rhinogs for friends, I wasn't much of a boulderer at the time but did a bunch of easier lines on the walls in the photo and further around from there. There looked to be lots more potential and I remember an impressive jutting prow on one boulder. Can't promise anyone they won't hike for miles and find a load of total shite though, like I said I wasn't much of a boulderer at the time so my perspective might have been out.

I parked at Cefn Clawdd and walked up the old pony track and then over Foel Penolau (about 40 mins) but a better option would probably be parking at gr684368 and taking the path due West up to the plateau.

the locals
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:39:09 pm by petejh »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#10 Re: Castell y Gwynt open for business
July 02, 2012, 05:25:48 pm
Rhinnogs in "lots of potential" shocker :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal