UKBouldering.com

Eva Lopez Training plans (Read 216504 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#375 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 02:45:13 pm
Got a link to the slides, will add it to the Wiki if so.
Alas, only have them in paper version.  Also they are called “Curso de Metodología y planificacion de la fuerza y la resistencia en escalada esportiva”

http://suvire.blogspot.com.es/2011/04/curso-metodologia-i-planificacion-de-la.html

Don't think the course material is available for free.

Paul B

• forum hero
#376 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 02:46:29 pm
Those weights must relate to a specific body weight, otherwise they'd be suggesting that women were only half as strong as men.

They'd be more useful if they were relative.

Would someone like to hazard a guess a to the bod weight they relate to?

Ask her on Facebook or twitter. She said she wasn't keen to join the forum and contribute as time was precious but she was very happy to answer queries through other methods (also on her blog).

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#377 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 02:51:19 pm
Those weights must relate to a specific body weight, otherwise they'd be suggesting that women were only half as strong as men.
[...]
Would someone like to hazard a guess a to the bod weight they relate to?
Of course.  60 kg is less than what Klem Loskot eats for breakfast.  It is only a rough guide anyway.  From looking around on Spanish crags my guess is that male intermediate sport climbers (approx rp 8b or so?) ~ 64 kg and female ~ 52 kg.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#378 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 04:18:07 pm
I benchmarked myself (~71-73 kg), and was mostly of intermediate level.  Max added weight was by far my worst “event”.

My first thought on looking at your table was that the max weight seemed out of kilter to the other benchmarks but put it down to personal bias/weakness.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#379 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 06:00:28 pm
64kg!!!!! That's not the weight of a mans body, that's a kettlebell

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#380 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
January 29, 2013, 07:17:43 pm
My first thought on looking at your table was that the max weight seemed out of kilter to the other benchmarks but put it down to personal bias/weakness.

I think we are just old...

Doylo

• forum hero
#381 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 02, 2013, 10:13:20 am
I've had to knock it on the head for now as it was aggravating an old elbow grievance. Pretty gutted as i was getting stronger and don't really know what to do instead  :doubt:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#382 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 02, 2013, 04:29:38 pm
I've had to knock it on the head for now as it was aggravating an old elbow grievance. Pretty gutted as i was getting stronger and don't really know what to do instead  :doubt:

Have you tried the max hangs on a smaller edge and less weight instead?

Doylo

• forum hero
#383 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 02, 2013, 05:32:35 pm
Didn't get below 15 mm but maybe could be an idea. Will have a think, my elbow didn't flare up at all last year and usually press ups keep it at bay but I guess 32 kg was a bit much for it.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#384 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 02, 2013, 05:54:20 pm
64kg!!!!! That's not the weight of a mans body, that's a kettlebell
Indeed! I weigh 65, in effect!!!

biscuit

• menacing presence
#385 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 03, 2013, 08:58:16 pm
The good news is i weigh 65kg.

Drop one more kilo and 8b here we come  :strongbench:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#386 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 03, 2013, 11:03:40 pm
 :tumble:reset the training to a smaller hold as I was finding my lower back didn't enjoy the weight going over 35kg. Started on the small beastmaker edge (14mm?) and with the 23.5kg sandbag I made. Felt like more of an effort and a bit more productive for stressing the fingers enough!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#387 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 04, 2013, 04:21:32 pm
I was finding my lower back didn't enjoy the weight going over 35kg.

MTFU. This guy isn't complaining.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#388 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 04, 2013, 08:20:33 pm
 :jaw:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#389 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 04, 2013, 10:59:05 pm
someone needs to give him his money back. If I were to hang 35kg of the end of my knob, I'd want more than 3 inches.  :strongbench:  :look:

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#390 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 05, 2013, 09:48:58 am
Here's how I'm getting on so far. . .

Unfortunately I'm only managing to get one session in per week. I'm really happy with the results so far and definitely feeling stronger on the rock. When I first started I couldn't hang the same edge with 11.5kg added weight for more than 3 seconds. . .

Date - 16/01/13
Edge Size - 30mm
Body Weight - 68kg
Added Weight - 10kg
Total Weight - 78kg
% of Body Weight Added - 14.71%
Main Sets - 5 x 10 secs
Rest Time - 3 Minutes

Date - 24/01/13
Edge Size - 30mm
Body Weight - 68.9kg
Added Weight - 11.5kg
Total Weight - 80.4kg
% of Body Weight Added - 16.69%
Main Sets - 3 x 10 secs
Rest Time - 3 - 4 Minutes

Date - 31/01/13
Edge Size - 30mm
Body Weight - 68kg
Added Weight - 12.5kg
Total Weight - 80.5kg
% of Body Weight Added - 18.38%
Main Sets - 5 x 10 secs
Rest Time - 3 Minutes

Date - 05/02/13
Edge Size - 30mm
Body Weight - 68.8kg
Added Weight - 15kg
Total Weight - 83.8kg
% of Body Weight Added - 21.80%
Main Sets - 5 x 10 secs
Rest Time - 3 - 4 Minutes

Is my maths right for the % of Body Weight added? Am I right in saying it's a 7.09% total gain so far?

This last session last night felt great and I'm going to go for 17.5kg on Thursday (7th Jan). If I can complete 3 sets of this I'll be very happy. :w00t:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#391 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 05, 2013, 10:41:12 am
Is my maths right for the % of Body Weight added? Am I right in saying it's a 7.09% total gain so far?

I make it 7.4% absolute gain on your first session.

Interesting that you are getting good gains on one session a week.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#392 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 05, 2013, 10:50:16 am

I make it 7.4% absolute gain on your first session.

Interesting that you are getting good gains on one session a week.

Cheers Shark! Yeah, I'm happy with the progress on one session a week.

I'm going to do 4 more sessions then move onto a repeater cycle. Hoping to get up to 20kg added weight before then, would be very happy with that!

I can now hang the lower outside edges on the Beastmaker 2k (14mm?) for a few seconds now too. Couldn't even pull myself off the ground a couple of weeks ago!

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#393 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 08:56:15 am
The morning after I'd done the 15kg I'd noticed I've strained my left hand middle finger A2...! Kinda different to the last time I've strained an A2 as it's on the side of the finger as opposed to the middle...weird. Feels the same sort of pain.

I didn't notice so much when I was doing the hangs but I'm pretty sure it's happend due to twisting my half crimp grip outwards when trying my best to hold on so it must of put an uneven strain on the finger.  :wall:

Also strangely enough theres no swelling and no pain when I half crimp, crimp or open hand. Only if i squeeze the side of the finger. Going to knock the hangs on the head and start a repeater cycle in a couple of weeks. Hopefully as theres no pain when pulling on I should be OK to climb soon.

Either way I got some good gains from one session a week over 4 weeks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:04:26 am by Luke Owens »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#394 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 09:17:54 am
Good idea to back-off if injured. When you start again consider substituting doing the hangs with a drag rather than a half crimp. It's not necessarily half-crimp or nothing!. Confusingly open handing is Eva's favoured grip due to early injury. If you can I wouldn't leave it too long before getting back in the saddle as the early measured gains in the study reversed after a few weeks

http://en-eva-lopez.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/dead-hang-training-on-small-edges.html
Yes, you are right! I am using the open grip in that picture It's my favorite position on small holds instead of the half-crimp. Personal taste aside, it's less harmful for pulleys and tendons.

Personally, I started to use this grip type just after I completely torn my ring finger's A2 pulley (no functional trace of it was left! :-/). I had been climbing only for 2 years by that time, so I got really scared, and I made a decision:
to work the slope grip for almost every type of hold in order to prevent more injuries. I love to climb...you know.

Because of that, when I pull on small holds, I intuitively apply the open grip.

If you read carefully the poster, you will notice that in the 1st line, 3rd column, I recommend the following:

"Grip type used: starting with the half crimp or open crimp position and proceeding to training with the open hand crimp"

So...half crimp is correct on small edges, but depending on the relative length of your fingers, specially of your pinkie (I think this fact affects the choice or tendency to use one grip type or other) and your objectives, you can train the half crimp or the open grip. But I strongly recommend you to try to get used to the open grip.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#395 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 09:54:13 am
Good idea to back-off if injured. When you start again consider substituting doing the hangs with a drag rather than a half crimp. It's not necessarily half-crimp or nothing!. Confusingly open handing is Eva's favoured grip due to early injury. If you can I wouldn't leave it too long before getting back in the saddle as the early measured gains in the study reversed after a few weeks

Thanks Shark, interesting read from Eva's blog. Will definitely train with a drag next time. In regards to getting back in the saddle, does this mean getting back on the fingerboard in general (say, starting a repeater cycle) or getting back to weighted hangs specifically? Don't want to risk losing the gains!

Would you recommend starting back with the 15kg main sets or drop the weight initially due to the injury?

I'm going to aim for next Thursday (10 days after the strain) to get back on the board. I'm confident I should be alright as theres no swelling, or pain when hanging.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#396 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 12:36:03 pm
Thanks Shark, interesting read from Eva's blog. Will definitely train with a drag next time. In regards to getting back in the saddle, does this mean getting back on the fingerboard in general (say, starting a repeater cycle) or getting back to weighted hangs specifically? Don't want to risk losing the gains!

Would you recommend starting back with the 15kg main sets or drop the weight initially due to the injury?

I'm going to aim for next Thursday (10 days after the strain) to get back on the board. I'm confident I should be alright as theres no swelling, or pain when hanging.

Hopefully any fingerboard work should at least maintain gains. As I haven't got a medical background or even had the slightest tweak from over 6 months of weighted deadhangs I'm not confident to offer specific suggestions about training after or whilst injured for anyone else. What I meant by getting back in the saddle is that in general terms leaving it too long before training again can be problematic. Of course this begs the question when is too soon or too long. Sorry I'm not being very helpful here.     

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
#397 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 01:03:21 pm

Hopefully any fingerboard work should at least maintain gains. As I haven't got a medical background or even had the slightest tweak from over 6 months of weighted deadhangs I'm not confident to offer specific suggestions about training after or whilst injured for anyone else. What I meant by getting back in the saddle is that in general terms leaving it too long before training again can be problematic. Of course this begs the question when is too soon or too long. Sorry I'm not being very helpful here.   

You've been very helpful! Think I'll just take it easy on the board next week and progress into it cautiously to see if the finger is better and if so I'll do some repeaters.

Thanks for the advise Shark!

Out of curiosity, is it generally the longer you've done the specific training for, the longer it takes for the gains to diminish? Or have I just made that up... :shrug:

abarro81

• forum hero
#398 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 01:13:52 pm
is it generally the longer you've done the specific training for, the longer it takes for the gains to diminish?

Yes

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#399 Re: Eva Lopez Training plans
February 07, 2013, 01:24:27 pm
Sort of.  Depends on what you have trained too. With max* strength there can be a long term delayed training effect if you have done a period of concentrated load.

For general** endurance though... prepare to be dismayed: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/detraining-1113

----
footnotes:
*oh how I hate this qualifier.
** ditto

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal