UKBouldering.com

Campaign to save Stanage Causeway (Read 41573 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#100 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 09:45:40 am
GCW being called a dick for no reason whatsoever is quite funny though.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#101 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 09:48:29 am
I've been called worse.

burned

• player
#102 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 12:46:19 pm
GCQ, as you had guessed, I negated to read the small print.. Sorry for going off on you, really, I feel as big the fool as I am sure I look.

At first, I thought "everyone" was just being ignorant and rather closed minded.. I was wrong though, you guys have just accepted what it has taken me a little longer to work out.

There is just no point in discussing, promoting or trying to meet halfway, nobody is into it, so why bother... its a bit like kicking yourself in the other leg until you get tired. Its much more fun to hang out with the lads and just accept I am going to be a punching bag until I get tired of the rover and buy a track day car.

I will be happy to interject an "opposite" perspective on any future discussions though.

Again, GCQ... I was wrong to call you a dick, and you handled the accusation really maturely mate. Sorry

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#103 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 12:52:07 pm
Fair dos, its an emotive subject and you're out on your own on this forum. I think we all appreciate the perspective you've brought, there is certainly no easy solution here. As you have said above the law is ultimately on your side despite what I'd suggest is a self-evident unsustainability.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#104 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 02:10:15 pm
I don't know which is worse, being called a dick or GCQ.........    :P

burned

• player
#105 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 02:23:14 pm
hahaha goddammit... good stuff mate.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#106 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 02:48:55 pm
Burned -  The problem with the compromise you’ve put forward, as far as I understand it, is that it doesn’t represent any real gain for other users. Ok there will be no vehicles on the Causeway during defined periods of the year, but will this actually mean less traffic, or just the same (and growing level of) traffic concentrated on less days? I know that if Stanage were closed to climbing for every other month of the year it would likely not reduce the number of visits I (or like minded locals) made in a year, I’d just be climbing at a busier crag every other month.
The track would get a concentrated thrashing for a few months then you’d all go elsewhere while the highways people come in and fix the damage (during the other users’ ‘exclusive’ period presumably) just in time for the next round.  :shrug:
On first reading I think I might be well prefer the status quo, if that was the best alternative on offer.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#107 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 03:01:58 pm
If the Causeway does reopen, it would be good to properly implement the system that was trialled previously - ie downhill only, small groups only. Rather than seasonal closures, I'd prefer to see it closed weekends and bank holidays, ie weekdays only. This is the system on the nearby road up the reservoirs for similar reasons, ie the road is unsuited to anything other than low numbers of vehicles. As has been said repeatedly above, anything like this would however require the users to get their act together and self-police...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:32:46 pm by Johnny Brown »

burned

• player
#108 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 14, 2012, 03:23:35 pm
hey Bonjoy, like I said, this one is going to take too much of my time, but when I spoke to the guys over in the PA, I asked how difficult it would be to put a paid permit system in place, and they said it would be no harder than changing anything else up there. That was my idea for trying to restrict the amount using the trail.. (I also shared that though in the thread about it getting swamped on the lanes when they opened, as I too suspect it would be the case)

The illegal thing is ultimately up to self policing, because the local bobbies just dont have a clue. Although should there be a paid permit like above, then obviously the local ranger would have access to reg numbers, checking licenses and taking names during the time of purchase.

Great feedback Johnny, great to know we are on the right track with that type of idea.. there is still a lot of residual effort out there from me during the last week. If I can get anyone else to jump on and follow it up, I will let you all know how it gets on.

burned

• player
#109 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 16, 2012, 09:51:58 am
Well, good news and bad I am afraid.

Bad news is that nobody else is interested in picking up where I left off. And the best excuse I got as to why we do not persecute wreckless behaviour was that "we move in different circles" (ie, not my problem)... Other threads such as parking, congestion tax, dodgy ebay items and x5 drivers generated much more interest and all that was happening in the end was me "bumping" my own threads.

On the other hand, good news.

Given the level of interest/feedback and my general annoyance that nothing is being done, when I was out in the car on friday night getting my shopping, I decided the right thing to do was just to sell the car, get something that doesnt cost so much to run and get a new hobby.

So, yesterday I sold it.

The Defender is gone, the Freelander 2 is paid for and I start flying lessons in march to get my Paramotor License instead. Consider me converted.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#110 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 16, 2012, 11:05:51 am
Wow. It's a shame that other off roaders aren't as reasonable.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#111 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 16, 2012, 11:52:58 am
Wow indeed. I'm not surprised by the response from the forums, what does surprise me is how few realise how self-defeating it is. Ah well, our gain I suppose...

burned

• player
#112 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 19, 2012, 04:22:28 pm
well, picked up the new car today, and really, I owe you guys a massive thanks. The difference between running around in a tractor with rear seats and the new found luxury of a waterproof car is simply amazing. I miss the Defender a little, but I think it isnt so much the car, but more the places around Europe it has taken us to be honest. Bit of a pain in the arse that the woman has been hinting that she should be driving it, despite us having ordered her a new car at the start of the year... women...

I wish you guys all the best of luck with the campaign, I honestly do. Its no secret to anyone that has taken the time to read through the pages and pages of posts that it will be difficult to find any middle ground for either sides, but everyone knows deep down what the right thing to do is, and someone has to take the first step towards that goal.

I still have a little faith in humanity though, and convinced myself that the reason nobody was posting is because they didnt want to look foolish in front of their peers, rather than they disagreed... otherwise they would have said something?... right?.. or maybe they just dont give a shit...?

Who knows... but in the words of Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, you got to "murder your darlings" sometimes, and personally, I feel much better for doing it.

If there are any other offroaders out there following this thread, I am not suggesting you just sell out like I did... I need new things in my life constantly to keep me happy, but I would encourage you to look around yourself and ask if the people you surround yourself with are motosport entusiasts, or outdoor enthusiasts. Their motives may be different to yours and their opinion on what is best FOR YOU will obviously be strongly influenced by such. Stand up for what you believe in, but do not ignore the facts.. and finally, think of others as you would like them to think of you.

Peace out

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#113 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
January 06, 2013, 12:23:07 pm
Further on the subject of the 'responsible' off road users - I was fell running on bleaklow this morning at 9.30 on a beautiful day, just in time to be passed by 8 scramble bikes going over Marjory Hill a site of SSI and about 7 miles from the nearest road. As I was trying to get a reg plate, 2 of them stopped and 'offered me out' for trying to peek a plate. Thoroughly nice, and as far as I'm concerned more evidence of the selfish nature of these pricks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
From Ride Sheffield via Facebook;
Response from DCC to my freedom of information request about Stanage Pole below:

"We have received one complaint which we viewed as reasonable and concluded that the route was in poor condition for the range of users entitled to use the route. We have liaised with the National Park Authority and Natural England over the refurbishment of the route and gained their support.

Approximately £35,000 will be spent on this first phase of work and we have reserved £235,000 for further surfacing works and attention to the retaining walls up to March 2015.

Approximately 110 individuals have contacted us suggesting the work is unnecessary. We respect and understand the challenge this route offers mountain bikers however, as the Highways Authority we have judged the route to be in poor condition and wish to make it safer and more accessible to the wider public and this includes horse-riders who have stayed away from the route because of its condition."

So that's a cool quarter of a mill, due to one complaint.

If I made 1 complaint about libraries closing do you think 250k would be spent to keep one open?

beggars belief

dave

fuck me internally.

chris j

• forum abuser
and this includes horse-riders who have stayed away from the route because of its condition."

It was a horse rider wot complained I presume.

Does the Causeway not have any protection as a historic site / unique example of its type that can be used to save it from DCC?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I doubt it was a horse rider, the 4x4 crew are very up on the law and I suspect the one complaint may have had rather more legal bite than the opposition. On the plus side, you should be able to drive up it in a family car soon.

cofe

• forum hero
Repairing a 'road' for 4x4 users... who are currently banned from using it... That about right?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Democracy in action  :clap2:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac

" and we have reserved £235,000 for further surfacing works and attention to the retaining walls up to March 2015"

Presumably that means they are planning on letting the 4x4's on it again at some point. Which is a shame.

SamT

• forum hero
On the plus side, you should be able to drive up it in a family car soon.

Nice one - shaves 5 mins off the walk in to high neb if you park by the style

:wall:

psychomansam

• forum hero
http://www.wrightdemolitionequipment.co.uk/hydraulic-breakers

I wonder how much hiring one of those costs...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal