UKBouldering.com

Campaign to save Stanage Causeway (Read 41275 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
June 26, 2012, 09:21:01 pm
I know there has been bits and bobs on here about this already but there is a big public consultation coming up and a group of local residents are trying to get a TRO in place on the Long Causeway (just had a letter through daughters school)

There are petitions to sign in Hathersage and Bamford post offices or you can fill in an evidence form/write a letter for the public consultation. The action group are looking for evidence of:

Accidents or near accidents
Injuries due to the condition of the track
Aggressive or dangerous driving
Abusive language or aggressive behaviour by off-roaders
Danger on nearby roads caused by off-roaders on their way to or from these routes
Seeing off-roaders using nearby bridleways or paths where there is no legal right of access
Noise disturbance
Night time disturbance
Large convoys of vehicles (more than 6 trail bikes, more than 4 4x4s)

Also, if anyone has any photographs for comparison (ie the causeway 10 yrs ago vs now) (JB?) they would be appreciated.

PM me for evidence forms (or just write a letter and email it to me)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
June 27, 2012, 08:12:12 am
Nice one for flagging this up.

We've tried to track down old pictures of the causeway before, but no one seems to have any. Its a real shame, and illustrates perfectly the problem of shifting baselines; you don't know what you've lost.

I've seen six or seven trail bikes ride through the Plantation before, so I'll definitely be making a report. Having said that the 4x4s have a very strong lobby and are well used to dealing with NIMBY style objections. Wiser men than I are suggesting pushing for a complete ban may be counter productive, and we would be better concentrating on 4x4s now and leaving trail bikes for the future.

dave

#2 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
June 27, 2012, 09:08:47 am
I'm sure i've seen old causeway shots on flickr/internet, there must be plenty out there.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
June 27, 2012, 11:00:59 am
The action group are looking for evidence of:

Large convoys of vehicles (more than 6 trail bikes, more than 4 4x4s)

Saw this on Flickr. Perhaps worth contacting the photographer?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamishfenton/3369320720/#

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

mrconners

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
July 04, 2012, 10:00:34 pm
I do believe the pressure on the 4X4 users is very slowly being cranked up throughout the park. I have completed a couple of questionnaires over on Rushup edge whilst out running, the main theme of these was 4x4's and what my attitude to them was and my feelings towards their continued use of the park. There are various tracks closed to their use and some voluntary one way and reduced use restrictions in place in many areas to try and reduce damage. However, they have a legal right to be there and are very good at intelligently fighting their corner.

I think they have no place in the beautiful and peaceful countryside and should be banned, end of.

Will pm you for a form.

Dolly

• forum hero
#6 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
July 24, 2012, 01:36:18 pm
The Peak District National Park Authority is to consult the general public over the possibility of permanently excluding recreational motor vehicles and trail-bikes from two green lanes

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/news/current-news/public-to-be-consulted-on-motorised-traffic-ban-for-two-green-lanes

Smaart

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 20, 2012, 02:31:40 pm
Update  here http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/news/current-news/?a=81006

You can express your support for the TRO by writing to long.causeway@peakdistrict.gov.uk

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 20, 2012, 02:39:15 pm
Ah, now this is the thread I was also thinking of.

Dolly

• forum hero
#9 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 20, 2012, 02:56:43 pm
Consultation has officially been opened today - be good to bombard them with supportive mails :)

Dolly

• forum hero
#10 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 26, 2012, 03:54:59 pm
According to the Sheffield Star Off roaders are planning a go slow on roads around the peak park on Oct 21st, Nov 25th and Dec 30th.
That should make members of the public more inclined to see it from their point of view then shouldn't it ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 26, 2012, 04:07:30 pm
That will make zero difference then as they're not meant to be going fast anyway!

From here

Ø  Travel at a quiet and unobtrusive pace and as slowly as practicable; we recommend a maximum of 12 mph when in a 4x4 and on an Unsurfaced Right of Way (URoW). Ensure your vehicle is fully road-legal, URoW are subject to the same laws as surfaced roads.

Ø When travelling in groups keep to a small number, four or less in sensitive areas, in other areas up to six vehicles may  be acceptable.

Just came across Peak District Green Lanes Association who "believe that green lanes should be for walkers, cyclists, horse riders and carriage drivers.".

Dolly

• forum hero
#12 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 26, 2012, 04:22:11 pm
Isn't their "cunning plan" that they will drive on the roads at a slow pace ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 26, 2012, 04:27:13 pm
No idea, don't read The Star regularly and could only find this article about the consultation which doesn't mention a go-slow.

Dolly

• forum hero
#14 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 26, 2012, 04:30:34 pm
I'll find out from my mole at The Star (or I could even buy a copy !)  and post

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#15 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 27, 2012, 10:06:21 am
No idea, don't read The Star regularly and could only find this article about the consultation which doesn't mention a go-slow.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/news-in-brief-motorcycle-protest-at-peak-closures-1-4961992

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
September 27, 2012, 10:17:58 am
They won't be able to go slow due to all the Sunday drivers driving even slower. It'll just be a normal day in the peak.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#17 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
October 01, 2012, 08:32:57 pm
Caught the last half of this doc about it...quite good
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/episode/b016psp6

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
November 02, 2012, 11:50:16 am
Little Reminder:

long.causeway@peakdistrict.gov.uk

Today is the last day you can have your say

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
November 02, 2012, 12:03:33 pm
Little Reminder:

long.causeway@peakdistrict.gov.uk

Today is the last day you can have your say

:agree: Got round to mailing them yesterday, lets see what happens.  :popcorn:

burned

• player
#20 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
November 06, 2012, 12:02:14 pm
Meh, its a road, we will continue to use it for as long as it is classified as such.. we pay our taxes to keep it maintained, and clearly in some areas it doesnt get maintained, road users fault? nah..

The guidelines that we have written to try and extend the life of the road and increase pedestrian safety are just that, guidelines.. things we have tried to impliment to keep you nutjobs safe, and happy... talk about a humanitarian fail haha...

if the funds dont exist to maintain the road, then close the road, simple as that... we would rather that than listen to the constant drone of you lot whining how we show no respect to other road users, and how the road would be in such great condition if it wasnt being used by vehicles..

this whole forum honestly just feels like a troll sometimes... enjoy the floods and the winter, hope your gran doesnt need her shopping driven out to her.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 05, 2012, 11:58:20 am
Meh, its a road, we will continue to use it for as long as it is classified as such.. we pay our taxes to keep it maintained, and clearly in some areas it doesnt get maintained, road users fault? nah..

The point is that many don't think it should be classified as a road, not sure what it is about that which you fail to grasp?

Anyway, this ruling seems rather petty but at least the other objections raised were rejected by the judge, bodes well, but wording of anything else will have to be very carefully.

chris j

• forum abuser
#22 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 06, 2012, 12:15:19 am

if the funds dont exist to maintain the road, then close the road, simple as that...

Well, if your fellow 4x4ists are ok with that then it sounds like the best solution for everyone, declassify it from being a road, no more angst.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#23 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 06, 2012, 08:00:35 am

this photo is from 2006. don't know if it's any use. it's from a phone so small.

tbh i haven't been up there recently is it different to this?

burned

• player
#24 Re: Campaign to save Stanage Causeway
December 08, 2012, 01:48:10 am
hey slack.. I am not failing to grasp anything about the road usage... I would even go as far to say that I appreciate, and agree that it should be closed in many respects.

Also, regarding the "ruling", I agree that if the order was Valid, its pure bollocks to overturn it based on grounds of wording.. it seems totally stupid to me, and does nothing more than make the offroad community look even more like bullies than they could have ever done before.

It remains to be seen what effects the remaining users have had on the trail... However, if things have remained the same, and not been seen to get any worse than they are, to me, that is at least a move in the right direction.

It indicates as I said before, that it needs to be maintained, or closed.

We have tried our best to impliment change outside these proceedings on other trails. It has been suggested to  restrict access on bank holidays, weekends etc to allow other users less restricted access (read jumping out of the way of traffic), with regard to erosion and impact on wildlife we have even tried to push through usage with a permit system - to limit the amount of vehicles using the road per day, and completely restrict it during periods where wildlife are especially susceptible (during mating seasons, extreme weather etc..). All of which have been point blank rejected through either cost, available resources, or that it has just been deemed not necessary.

Again, taxes are paid to provide these sort of services.. and to be honest, many offroad users feel they are taking the bad rap for an inept system run by people that seem unable to fullfill their employment descripton. It is a dangerous thing to start attributing blame without all the facts on the table. And it really is time to start asking who is causing the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal