UKBouldering.com

Shelf life of shoes (Read 5299 times)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Shelf life of shoes
June 08, 2012, 08:48:41 pm
My current best shoes are Miura laces. I absolutely love them. The pair I have are 8/9 months old but still in decent nick, largely because I'm rigorous about only putting them on for attempts at my limit, and use lesser shoes for warmups, training mileage etc.

I have a chance to pick a pair in my size, new, for 99 Euros (=80 quid). But if I do that, and then store them for - say - up to a year, will the rubber deteriorate or anything?

Or if I do the sensible thing and tell myself I don't need any more shoes right now, will La Sportiva stop making them before I need another pair?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Shelf life of shoes
June 08, 2012, 09:02:19 pm
Should be ok for a couple of years. I had some A velcros in storage for a year and they were fine.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#2 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 08, 2012, 09:37:44 pm
If they will be stored for a couple of years, use them occasionally during that time, as the rubbers holding the soles on can 'dry out', and the shoe falls apart on the first use.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Shelf life of shoes
June 08, 2012, 09:50:51 pm
I had a Pair of Red Chillis,   stuck in my parents attic for eight years.
Pulled them out in 2008 (they're good for pockets), don't wear them much but they're fine.

thrashhard

• player
#4 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 09, 2012, 12:38:07 pm
La Sportiva stop making the Miura?
That like VW stops buildung the Golf.
Funny thought.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#5 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 09, 2012, 09:04:18 pm
Funny thought.

Dunno. I hope you're right, but I see the lace-ups a lot less regularly than the velcros in shops, and the velcros are an entirely different shoe and don't fit me.

(Each Mark of the Golf is, after all, an entirely different car)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 09, 2012, 10:37:24 pm
I've got some ten+ year-old Tenayas I pull out occasionally for edging when I haven't got anything else. Not noticed any change in the rubber or glue, even did my first 8a in them two summers back. Got a few part worn five-tens of various ages too, not noticed any deterioration in them either.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 09, 2012, 11:30:59 pm
I've got some scabby pink Anasazis I bought in 1998 which only get used if I need old dry shoes for dws. Other than getting used for this maybe once a year they fester in a box in the garage. Apart from holes in the toes the rubber is still in fine nick.

thrashhard

• player
#8 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 10, 2012, 10:34:56 am
Funny thought.

Dunno. I hope you're right, but I see the lace-ups a lot less regularly than the velcros in shops, and the velcros are an entirely different shoe and don't fit me.

(Each Mark of the Golf is, after all, an entirely different car)

You´re right.
But look at what the Pros use mostly. Ondra uses them LU Miura for nearly every Route he climbs every Pic i see of Alex Honnold he wears the Miura LU, Alex and Thomas Huber. I think they won´t stop building the shoe the most important climbers wear and love.
Plus, i think in the USA the Miura LU is THE trad and crack shoe.

To the Rubber. I had some Scarpa Rockettes now and they were and old model with XS Grip Stamping in the Sole lying around in the shop for at least 3 Years. The rubber on them felt like it was porous and they wore out faster than any Vibram XS Grip shoe i owned before. Also the glue was some kind of yellow and it looked like it wasn´t the best shoe anymore. you could see that the shoe was old if you know what i mean. But maybe they were lying around in the sun for years, who knows.

cha1n

• forum hero
#9 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 10, 2012, 11:39:50 am
I bought some Miura Laces from a local shop that had obviously been there for a while as they had XS Grip rubber and they now come with XS Edge 2. I don't know if the age of the rubber made a difference as I think XS Grip a soft compound anyway but I was certainly not happy with how long the rubber lasted. Also, the excess glue seemed to have gone a reddish colour and the sole started to peel off slightly on one outside edge after a short while.

Regardless of all this, I'd say wait anyway. For Miura Laces, the trick is to find a shop selling them in your size on the cheap, e.g. http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/item/Brand_LaSportivaMiura_0_0_20424_1.html?ref=froogle

Then take a print out to go outdoors, they'll price match and take off 10%, meaning you'll get them for less than 80. Technically you should find someone selling them in a shop, as opposed to an online shop because they will say that the offer has to be like for like but if you catch them on the busy day they'll be rushed and miss that it says 'web price only', I've done it a few times you see!

cha1n

• forum hero
#10 Re: Shelf life of shoes
June 10, 2012, 11:42:00 am
Oh and I think Miura laces have been around for at least 10 years and I can't see that LA SP would stop making them any time soon. It would be like five ten stopping the production of the anazasi!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal