UKBouldering.com

Crag Chat (Read 13093 times)

Climbot1000

Crag Chat
June 07, 2012, 08:36:59 pm

Hi UKB members,

I don't normally post on here but just wanted to open up a discussion about something that happened the other day.

It's a pretty simple story. I was hanging out at the crag as usual, trying hard, getting sore fingers, having a banter etc etc.... when I couldn't help but over hear some other climbers talking.

The climbers were loudly talking about other climbers (some pretty well known to everyone and themselves) and to put it bluntly saying some pretty offensive stuff, ranging from their own personal opinions of the climbers personalities their personal lives, climbing ethics and whether they made it into their own personal like or dislike club.

Now my own feeling on this is everyone obviously can't like everyone else, and we all sometimes say bad stuff about other people when in conversation with mates (or not). But loudly saying some pretty ropey shizzle about people in a very public area I thought was a little bit out of order. I was just wondering whether you guys and gals agreed with this or not? 

Anyway, Just wondered if that was 'cool' these days in the scene.

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Crag Chat
June 07, 2012, 09:00:48 pm
Yes this pretty normal these days and what is expected of the in crowd. However if you should bump into me or one of my mates (old, decrepit,balding,fat and stained clothing) Do not take offence if you hear us muttering "Bastard" or the like as we pass you by. Its just a character defect that's comes with spending too much time take yourself seriously.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Crag Chat
June 07, 2012, 10:45:10 pm
The thing is theres all sorts of tossers, eijits and shite hawks in the world, and some of them go climbing.

scottygillery

• player
#3 Re: Crag Chat
June 07, 2012, 11:52:11 pm
I heard Steve Mclure smeared the holds on rainshadow with peanut butter to make sure no-one else could repeat it...  :worms:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 12:10:23 am
Unfortunately this is life and why should climbing be any different? There are tossers everywhere. I dislike a great many people and don't really care about saying I dislike them, conversely I'm sure there must be someone somewhere out there who dislikes me, I know ure thinking no don't be stupid but there must be someone. Alternatively if all round nice guy and mr inoffensive Neil Mawson has just pissed on my banana, not a euphemism, I'll be the first at the crag sayin Neil mawsons just pissed on my banana what a twat! The guys they were talking about may be first class tossers if so then all they've done is stated what everybody else knows to be true.
Nothing is cool, except ray bans and Armani shorts. I suppose a wallet saying bad mother fucker is up there as well.
What did u expect people to say? Yeh the bastards, that's out of order

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 06:30:17 am
I think that many people who can't be truly satisfied and happy with themselves find great pleasure in belittlling and judging others.
When one is happy, one has no time for bullshit.
I avoid this kind of people as the plague, because they always try to spoil my day with their anger and envy.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#6 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 08:23:11 am
I take it your post isn't about having the opinion privately but rather about voicing said opinion so all and sundry can hear, screw it, life would be boring if we all got along

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 08:47:00 am
What the shower of shits above have said :)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#8 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 08:54:25 am
stupid cvnts should be using Twitter

this is the 21st Century FFS

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#9 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 09:01:55 am
I heard Steve Mclure smeared the holds on rainshadow with peanut butter to make sure no-one else could repeat it...  :worms:

Smooth or crunchy? It's all in the details.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 09:39:50 am
Generally most people I meet/see at the crag are great - easy to get along with etc...

Every now and then you come accross individual - or individual(s) who act like wankers.

I just walk away and boulder somewhere out of earshot from them.

After all, if there were a bunch of chavs (instead of climbers) drinking beer, pissing on the foot of the crag, having a smoke, being tossers, doing whatever - would you go over and expect to get on with them and talk about chummy climbing things?

Its life, there are some people you get on with, some you dont.
I'll now get back into my cupboard and carry on masturbating.

;)

Climbot1000

#11 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 09:50:07 am
I take it your post isn't about having the opinion privately but rather about voicing said opinion so all and sundry can hear, screw it, life would be boring if we all got along

Yeah, that's right it was more about the publicness of the whole thing an also the tone of what was said. It just lacked any humor and smacked of play ground bully, wanna be cool kid so beat on the weakling, base level, they're not gonna be in my gang, would't say it to their faces insults for everyone else to hear. I guess this is just human nature but it did boil my piss a little and give me flash backs to the reasons I stopped taking part in everyday sports and trying to hang out with assholes, and took up climbing.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:04:03 am
What are you talking about.....this is an everyday sport....we're not anything special just because we climb. Do you think this is some sort of secret club full of rational sensible well rounded people?

Three Nine

• forum hero
#13 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:07:41 am
Look you pussweed you're on the wrong forum. I look forward to having a loud conversation at the crag at the weekend thus: 'guess what, there was this hippie cunt on ukb...'

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:18:30 am
Remember UKB is...

Quote from: Chris Craggs
Ugly, Primitive, Juvenile and Offensive

It even says so on my hooded sweatshirt!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#15 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:19:27 am
Rest assured that I never indulge in crag gossip.  Whilst climbing my vocal output is limited to bellows and power screams.  Whilst on the ground, I either stare impassively into the middle-distance, mentally rehearsing my sequence, or play the didgeridoo. 

If this is still unacceptable, I am toying with the idea of having my tongue surgically removed to save weight for red-points; admittedly this will not stop me from slandering in Morse code but hey ho....

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:23:40 am
If I didn't get to slag people off publicly while out climbing, I don't think I'd bother with it

Three Nine

• forum hero
#17 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:28:55 am

I stuffed a load of squidgy malt loaf in the powerband crux pocket the other day, that saw off an attempt from a pal!

abarro81

• forum hero
#18 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:37:55 am
I stuffed a load of squidgy malt loaf in the powerband crux pocket the other day, that saw off an attempt from a fat, overtrained retard who had no hope anyway.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#19 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:39:19 am
Every now and then you come across individual - or individual(s) who act like wankers.

.... bunch of chavs drinking beer, pissing on the foot of the crag, having a smoke, being tossers, doing whatever

yeah, sorry about all that

we didn't realise there was a homoerotic, topless festival arranged for that part of the Peak District - we'd have stayed away if we'd known

psychomansam

• forum hero
#20 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 10:49:04 am
Getting out of cities and into nature tends to make most people nicer.
People who regularly choose to get out of cities and into nature are often quite nice.

But you can't make chocolate out of shit.

No wait, I mean some people haven't yet reached full enlightenment and we must be patient and understanding with them, helping them to find their own middle way in their own time. Peace and reconciliation will stem from empathy, understanding, patience and the recognition that we are all essentially the same. All essentially one.

i.e. we're all made of the same shit.

tomtom

• forum hero
#21 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 11:47:49 am
Did they all cast shadows?

Climbot1000

#22 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 12:08:17 pm

Maybe that's it, when I started climbing it didn't really seen to me like other sports but something that allowed an escape from the usual pecking order of everyday life and the standard dog shit that went with it.

I just need to get into the 21st century and get down the crag and start trying to win some points by saying some nasty shit about my 'climbing mates' (as long as they're not around) and others, thereby allowing me the respect of whoever might be pulling the hardest at any given time.

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 12:12:22 pm
Or go to the crag and just be yourself? (Ignore if I missed some sarcasm in your last post..)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Crag Chat
June 08, 2012, 12:21:40 pm

Maybe that's it, when I started climbing it didn't really seen to me like other sports but something that allowed an escape from the usual pecking order of everyday life and the standard dog shit that went with it.

I just need to get into the 21st century and get down the crag and start trying to win some points by saying some nasty shit about my 'climbing mates' (as long as they're not around) and others, thereby allowing me the respect of whoever might be pulling the hardest at any given time.

Or just ignore them and get on with your climbing, or if it bothers you find a quieter time/spot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal