UKBouldering.com

Pembroke DWS trip - any advice? (Read 6618 times)

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 11:23:34 am
I've just got bitten by the DWS bug after my first go yesterday, and now I'm psyched to organise a trip with some friends down to Pembroke in June. Problem is, I don't drive!

Does anybody know how possible it is to get to the part where the DWS is by bus/train (we're coming from Swansea area)?

As regards areas, I'm looking at Newton head, Breakfast Zawn, Mother Cary's - is it possible to get from one to another relatively easily? Also, are they not massively complicated for a DWS newbie but capable sport climber to access?

Cheers guys!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 11:59:33 am
June the water is still pretty chilly. Unless you have wetsuits it's better to hang on until July or August if you can.

I don't know much detail about public transport but I suspect it will be a bit of a pain. You will probably have to get a train to Pembroke and then there should be a bus to Bosherston  and makbe as far as the range parking, or you might have better luck with lifts with climbers from the campsite at Bosherston. I know Mother Carey's will most probably have either limited or no public transport nearby.

For Mother Carey's you will definitely need to be able to set up an ab rope on gear and know how to abseil, unless someone has set one up already. Don't know about other two.

Are you planning doing it as a day trip from Swansea?

galpinos

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 01:34:35 pm
Maybe a dumb question but do you have Mike Robertson's book "Deep Water"? As far as I recall, it is pretty clear which areas are best for a first visit and which not.

I thought your DWS advise would be more along the lines of, "Try not to break your ribs when attempting to impress pretty girls"............

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#3 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 08:35:05 pm
I don't know much about DWS, but by sound of it Pembroke is a fair bit more serious than the South Coast so perhaps not suitable for someone new to the game. Big seas and big commitment. Also a pain to get to without your own transport.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#4 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 10:19:25 pm
Thanks for the info guys. The plan's to go for a long weekend (birthday and end of exams coinciding). Mother Carys will be out then, and I'll have to introduce big splashdowns slowly (judging by my experience yesterday!).

Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to rile friends up for a trip further afield. Maybe with some luck, some friends with vans will come!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 11:38:05 pm
What Tom said about the sea. Pembroke can get fairly large swells compared to the south coast. Also be aware that you may come up against access restrictions outside of weekends

dod

#6 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 28, 2012, 11:57:25 pm
Portland is  good choice on public transport. Train to Weymouth, then very regular bus service to the isle. Requires a bit of knowledge with tides, but no more than Pembroke. A lot less intimidating for the newly initiated too. Generally less hassle (no abseils etc), plus  good sport climbing if the weathers not great for soloing. All covered in Rockfax's Deep Water and the 2005 Dorset rockfax.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 29, 2012, 09:24:23 am
horrific / brilliant depending on your point of view.

chris05

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 29, 2012, 09:43:54 am
Barrel zawn looked good when I was last there but mistimed the tides. Easy approach and some nice easy routes which you can check out from the overlooking cliff. Be sure to get a tide table.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 29, 2012, 09:58:44 am

South Pembroke Tide Times
(add 1 hour for BST)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

b3n99

• stalker
#12 Re: Pembroke DWS trip - any advice?
May 30, 2012, 09:29:10 am
Having done a little bit of DWS in a few different areas i would say Barrel Zawn is THE best first time DWS venue I have ever been. Access is easy, can view easily from facing land, swim out and getting out is super easy and the routes are not too long and superb (especially the traverse). There are big tides but just give yourself 3 hours before and after high tide and you will be fine. Transport in Pembroke may be an issue as most places are a bit secluded. Trying to find someone with a car who's keen is probably the best idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal