UKBouldering.com

Calf Muscle Blues (Read 8399 times)

Vitamin K

• addict
#25 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
May 29, 2012, 08:13:35 pm
Just seen this thread but thought I would share my experience with a similar problem.

My guess is that it is a recurrent calf tear and you are probably not giving it time to heal or not getting treatment.

First up get to a physio and get a diagnosis, secondly get it iced and thirdly sack off your big road shoes if you wear them. I've started running again and used to (touch wood) get these on a depressingly regular basis. Things seem to have changed though and I put it down to early treatment from the physio, not running too fast and switching to lighter shoes with a lower profile.

The only shoes I wear now are Mizuno Wave Harrier 3 and they do the job for most things even a little bit of road if pushed. So far, so good. They don't offer any support but seem to work for me and ensure that you land on the forefoot or at least with a flat foot.

The majority of running I do now is easy and with little fast stuff and now managing to get out 4/5 times a week with some spinning chucked in for good measure. 

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
June 03, 2012, 07:08:09 pm
Thanks for all the tips. I think 'm going to sack off (attempts at) running completely. I feel like it's a basic thing one ought to be able to do to have any reasonable claim to all round fitness, but otherwise it's not important to me and I've never enjoyed it that much.

Will stick to biking & hiking, which seem to be enough to maintain a reasonable level of aerobic fitness - I have a couple of time trials I do every few months on the local hills, steep uphill hikes with a pack (simulating alpine approach marches) and on the one I did last week (640 metres height gain / 66 minutes) I was two minutes slower than last year but with a heavier pack this time. So it seems like I don't *need* running.

The waking up in the night with calf (and - oh joy - since last night now also shin) cramps after climbing is getting to be a major pain though. I'm trying to drink more water, in general and esp. during & after training, and I'm foam rolling & stretching, though not as diligently yet as I should be. Hope this will eventually bring some benefits.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#27 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
June 04, 2012, 08:46:08 pm
I often do some calf stretches just before going to bed in order to stop them mithering me after climbing..
And just now I thought of this, and you..

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/introducing-the-bone-saw-calf-smash-redux.html

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
June 05, 2012, 07:05:55 am
I often do some calf stretches just before going to bed in order to stop them mithering me after climbing..

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/04/introducing-the-bone-saw-calf-smash-redux.html

Did you try it? Ouch! (in a good way). Thanks.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#29 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
June 06, 2012, 07:29:15 am

Did these yesterday after the wall, and no calf cramps in the night.  :2thumbsup:

Correlation <> causation, sample size of 1 etc. but ... promising

erm, sam

• forum hero
#30 Re: Calf Muscle Blues
June 06, 2012, 09:10:43 am
Well, its a good start..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal