UKBouldering.com

Gritstone pulley- any idea what this is? (Read 6755 times)

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Check out what I found embedded in a  local stream bed in the woods behind my house in Meersbrook. What I initially thought to be a car wheel turned out to be a 40Kg Gritstone lump carved with a No of grooves. My guess is some sort of pulley. Anyone have any ideas or other knowledge. never seen anything like it. God knows how it ended up embedded in 3 foot of clay at the bottom of a stream.

tomtom

• forum hero
Cool! Some sort of roller? for crushing things prior to processing? (things unknown..) would seem a bit nuts to make a pulley out of grit, when you could make one out of wook of same dimensions (and alot lighter!)..

Dolly

• forum hero
and get the prize for the best use of wookies in engineering projects

Plattsy

• forum hero
Quote from: Wikipedia
British gritstone was used for millstones to mill flour, to grind wood into pulp for paper and for grindstones to sharpen blades.
If you had two them they could act like a crusher to grind wood into pulp maybe.

Plattsy

• forum hero

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Agree it's more likely some sort of roller but for what? Any ideas of local websites that I might be able to post on? Maybe Kelham Island Industrial Museum might have an idea?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
initial thought was a roller for breaking something long into smaller pieces but being used with water maybe a sharpening tool of some kind?

robertostallioni

• forum hero

underground

• forum hero
I've seen them before... but can't for the life of me remember where... First thing springing to mind is for crushing lead ore...  but then how on earth would it have reached Meersbrook, assuming it was lying in situ near to it's place of use. In terms of steel industry which would seem a reasonable assumption, the only other thing `i can recall as being similar are the rollers in a rolling mill but they step down in diameter...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:05:05 pm by underground »

robertostallioni

• forum hero
these are cider making rollers...

The old type of cider mill still exists in remote parts of the country. It consists of a circular trough, hewn out of solid stone, in the deep groove of which one or two stone rollers run around. The rollers are sometimes propelled by a horse yoked directly to them, but in the South-Western counties the horse-gear is outside the pound and the motive power transmitted by a shaft and gear wheels. Most of the latter are of wood including the teeth, which can be renewed when worn. A more modern type of mill is fitted with "tumblers" or "breakers", two deeply ribbed rollers which revolve in opposite directions, break up the fruit, and the latter then passes downwards between two other rollers of hard stone.

tomtom

• forum hero
Stallioni. Frankly I'm disappointed... I was expecting some sort of 'it's Satans butt plug' type comments not a serious, credible answer ;)

underground

• forum hero
Dorset, that's where I've seen them  :agree:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
lets celebrate. Scrumpy anyone?

that roller looks well crimp-able.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
Now that's some quality googling! Cider rollers. But why in Meersbrook? There may have been another stone next to it (smoother) will investigate at the week end and report back.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I've seen them before... but can't for the life of me remember where...

these are cider making rollers...

I'm starting to see a connection here. Just one more thing.....

:pissed:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:18:43 pm by Jaspersharpe »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I can't find anything about cider making in Sheffield historically.

They run a cider making course which includes information on the history of cider making at the Woodland Discovery Cenre in Ecclesall Woods:

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/dms-connect/search?dms=13&c1=front&feature=1015&venue=2164900&easi=true

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/out--about/parks-woodlands--countryside/trees--woodlands/woodland-sites-and-projects/ecclesall-woods/woodland-discovery.html

Might be worth an email to see if whoever the expert is there knows anything.

Other than that, Sheffield Cider is an award winning brand but unfortunately based in Washington State:

http://sheffieldcider.com/index.php

Not helpful and by Googling this I now fancy a cider.

dave

Stallioni. Frankly I'm disappointed... I was expecting some sort of 'it's Satans butt plug' type comments not a serious, credible answer ;)

Was there a 9ft long horse's tail buried in the stream too?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I'm pretty sure that what Andy has found is the MK II prototype for Johnny Dawes' Gritstone Wheels designed for use on Stealth rubber roads

dave

Check out what I found embedded in a  local stream bed in the woods behind my house in Meersbrook. What I initially thought to be a car wheel turned out to be a 40Kg Gritstone lump carved with a No of grooves. My guess is some sort of pulley. Anyone have any ideas or other knowledge. never seen anything like it. God knows how it ended up embedded in 3 foot of clay at the bottom of a stream.

Word I was down shepherd wheel just now and saw some grindstones there very similar to what you found. I had a word with the guy there (Duncan - climber, good bloke) who explained they are grindstones for making serrated tools like breadknives or saws (obviously the bigger grooved ones are for bigger saws). Basically back in the day they used to grind in the serrations instead of cutting them in. Mystery solved?

robertostallioni

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Dorset, that's where I've seen them  :agree:

In dorset?

Yeah she said it was brilliant!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Visited Shepard's wheel yesterday, they've done a great job of renovating it. Impressive to see all the grinding wheels in action, and they are only running at about 30% speed of what they would have done back in the day!

Pop down there at a weekend to gen up on a bit of Sheffield history. As Dave said, very knowledgeable team running the place.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal