UKBouldering.com

Ever gone to Hell? (Read 3696 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Ever gone to Hell?
May 17, 2012, 10:51:22 am
... or climbed anywhere else around Trondheim?

I have a gig there in August and it would be rude not to investigate the local possibilities, bouldering or chuffing.  Unfortunately I probably have 3-4 days at most so don't have the time to get to Lofoten.

Hell itself looks very good, a bit steep for me though: most routes 7b and harder apparently.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 17, 2012, 10:56:08 am
that looks good, is it the same area Dave Mc climbed some sport in by any chance I wonder.

anyway, it doesn't look like Hell, there would be more team leaders and headsets.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#2 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 21, 2012, 06:43:59 pm
Hell is very good if you like short, bouldery, 25-40 deg overhanging routes.  It is also very much like an out-door gym, with everything that implies. The rock is some form of conglomerate that gives comfortable holds that are surprisingly hard to hold on to.

There is a small bouldering/trad/sport crag inside city limits called Korsvika (I've never been).

The best climbing "close" to Trondheim is probably in Flatanger. The big cave in Flatanger is one of the most extreme crags I've been to.  Over 100 m high featured granitic gneiss, more than 50 m overhanging.

In Vingsand, on the same peninsula as Flatanger there is some really good bouldering. Harbak is also supposed to be really good. Alas, I have not been to any of the bouldering areas around Trondheim.

The only multi pitch area I know of close to Trondheim is "Selnes", with bolt and trad routes up to 4-5 pitches. I have not been there either.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 22, 2012, 09:42:05 am
Hell is very good if you like short, bouldery, 25-40 deg overhanging routes.  It is also very much like an out-door gym, with everything that implies.

Thanks for this.  Flatanger must be amazing if you are Magnus Midtbø; unfortunately I'm not quite at that level yet!  Fortunately I'll be missing the climbing festival in June but it seems like they are developing some easier crags and bouldering for this so might well be worth a visit.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#4 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 22, 2012, 09:47:24 am
I've been to Luton does that count?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#5 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 22, 2012, 09:56:35 am
Hell has good enjoyable routes from 6b to 8b+.  When I visited Flatanger a few years ago there were good routes from 7a+ to 8b, and some OK, but unremarkable, trad routes from 5c to 6c (outside the cave of course); but I've heard that they have bolted quite a few new routes around 7a on the flanks of the Hansheller-hula.

Pitcairn

• player
#6 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 22, 2012, 11:21:16 am
Hell is very good sport climbing but if you are more of a boulderer I would suggest making the effort to get to Vingsand.  It is one of the best bouldering areas Ive been to - great rock, amazing roofs and problems of all grades.  Very useful to have a local show you around though.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 24, 2012, 09:28:03 am
Thanks Iain (?).  I like all kinds of climbing, even bouldering...  Will be in Trondheim for work for a couple of days and put out feelers for interested locals.

I've been to Luton does that count?

I've lived in Luton (one month  - a woman may have been involved...).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 24, 2012, 09:54:37 am
Hull is close to Hell. In many senses.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#9 Re: Ever gone to Hell?
May 24, 2012, 12:32:30 pm
My Mrs was on a course there shortly after we met. As it was her birthday, I drove down to meet her and take her out for dinner somewhere nice. After wandering around the town centre for half an hour having only found shit chain pubs and scabby looking chinese take aways we were happy to find the best restaurant there, Pizza Express. What a shit hole.

:off:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal