UKBouldering.com

Outside & Wild Country Sponsored Crag Clean-up 2012/06/23 (Read 5769 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Outside and Wild Country are promoting crag clear ups around the Peak this Saturday 23rd June 2012.

Free beer & burgers at the after-party.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:31:32 pm by slack---line »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Very pleased to see mention of a team heading down to clean Black Rocks. If any crag in the peak needs this it's Black Rocks (would love to see Wimberry and Rowtor get the same treatment at some point). Would definately join in with the Balck Rocks clean, but have to work this weekend  :'(

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Really good idea this.

Apologies - I'll be at Ratho/YCS this weekend

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Just incase people don't check the links, it's not exclusive to Black Rocks. That's where we're sending a team, but the plan is for people to pick a crag of their choice, then bring the rubbish to Hathersage. Bin bags will be provided. I'm guessing Stanage will be spotless on Sunday morning.

Very pleased to see mention of a team heading down to clean Black Rocks. If any crag in the peak needs this it's Black Rocks

Our thoughts exactly. Shame we can't stop the scallies from going there.

Stubbs

Or perhaps it's a shame we can't educate people to enjoy the countryside without spoiling it, rather than stopping them going there?

saulgilsenan

Or perhaps it's a shame we can't educate people to enjoy the countryside without spoiling it, rather than stopping them going there?

This is a fair point but then again this is only a smaller part of a much wider problem which, unfortunately, isn't confined to just scallies, chavs and the general public. Think about the amount of fag ends we find littered all over longer multi-pitch routes and in places that even smackhheads won't try and get to.

Great idea though this, unfortunately I'm working this Saturday or I'd take part if I was heading up. Could do with similar incentives over the Western side as Ramshaw and Roaches areas are covered in it.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

bolehillbilly

• stalker
I went for a run on 'the mountain' on Wednesday evening and the group of travellers who have been camped at the National Stone Centre car park had moved on to the upper car park at Black Rocks.  Not sure if they are still there tonight. 
The Stone Centre parking was a left in bit of a mess.  If the Black Rocks car parks are full/in accessible it's only a 5 minute walk from the free parking at the Stone Centre along the trail to Black Rocks.
Hopefully will get up there for a short spell tomorrow.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Sounds like it was productive

Had every intention of picking up litter at Ravensdale but came away empty handed as didn't come across any.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter

I spent many years (10 in fact) trying to do this with different age groups for the wildlife trust and council country parks and its really hard when a great deal of people say they care, then carry on being bellends in front of you. Eventually I came to the sad conclusion most people just don't give a shit.  :'(

I shall pull out a bin bag and head to a crag.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
One major positive in all of this how clean the crags were. Almost every person who brought a bag back commented that there wasn't actuallly very much mess. The worst spots were the camping and bbqing spots (like the 4 full binbags from Burbage woods)

As an aside, I've started storing a few plastic bags in my bouldering bag. Mostly for my own rubbish, but also to pick up extra bits. I can usually find a bin within 5 minutes drive of the carpark.

SamT

• forum hero
As an aside, I've started storing a few plastic bags in my bouldering bag.

That's a tremendous idea, why haven't I thought of that before as I'll often pick up the odd bit to carry home.
Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Sounds like it was productive

Had every intention of picking up litter at Ravensdale but came away empty handed as didn't come across any.

Which is a good sign as it's only climbers that are allowed to go there (as I understand it?).

I usually pick up any rubbish I see. The age of some of the litter you find is incredible- ringpulls from when they didn't stay on the can are surprisingly common. Last summer I found a fucking Quosh carton at Carl Wark.

The worst places for rubbish are indeed the tourist-friendly ones. Brimham is terrible for it and I couldn't believe how bad Dovedale was a couple of weeks back- full of huge groups who didn't give a fuck. On the walk back after they'd cleared off it was absolute carnage with all manner of stuff everywhere, including floating down the river- one bunch of wankers had tipped their barbecue out right on the bank and dumped all their rubbish on top. I had to pour about 20 bottlefulls of water over to put the fire out, with glass bottles exploding in the heat as I did it. :blink: >:( :(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal