UKBouldering.com

Le Show de Bradley Wiggins (Read 57919 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#26 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 10, 2012, 09:49:57 pm
unfortunately I can't find a video of this from Wiggins when asked about people who say that anyone in a yellow jersey must be doping

Honestly, they're just f**king w**kers. I cannot be dealing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to anything in their lives. And it's easy for them to sit under a pseudo-name on Twitter and write that sort of s**t rather than get off their arses in their own life and apply themselves, and work hard at something and achieve something. And that's ultimately it... C**ts.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#27 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 11:38:12 am
Thought this was an interesting response by someone on cyclingnews forum about Wiggins' tirade:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17734

saltbeef

• forum hero
#28 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 11:55:26 am
I reckon Wiggo's remarks have come across in a bad way. I think he felt that people were questioning his "cleanliness" hence his frustrated answer. He's generally very eloquent about the subject even suggesting David Millar should be on the olympic team due to past infringements. Anyway come on Wiggo!
Interesting article in the guardian about how the peloton is slowing down... (no link just look in the sport section)

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 12:07:32 pm
Link about how times up Alpe D'Huez have slowed down in recent times. I am not a scientist but the stuff about power output seems fairly convincing:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/07/tour-in-mountains-analysis-discussion.html

mrconners

• menacing presence
#30 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 12:29:36 pm
I just hope that people are riding clean. It seems with all the testing, Sky's very outspoken anti-doping stance and all the negative publicity (that any doping allegations bring to the already rather tainted sport) that cycling is desperately trying to clean up its act.

If not, and only the people on the inside will know the truth, then as far as I'm concerned the whole thing means nothing to me. Nothing. And as a sport it can quite credibly be written off as a farce.

I'm a massive fan, have been for years, but am becoming more and more jaded by all these allegations. I wan't it so much to be clean. To see blokes battering themselves up some of these monster climbs is a great spectacle. There is no-where to hide, no bulls*itting.
Drugs just wreck the whole thing. Take away the purity of it.

However I'm very suspicious of Froomes meteoric rise. Which is a shame.

north_country_boy

• junky
#31 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 12:54:24 pm
Link about how times up Alpe D'Huez have slowed down in recent times. I am not a scientist but the stuff about power output seems fairly convincing:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2012/07/tour-in-mountains-analysis-discussion.html

Really interesting article.

Chris Froome, when coming second in the 2011 Vuelta TT (47km) rode at 5.8 W/kg for 55 minutes.  That's likely to be close to what he and Wiggins produced in the Tour today, and is yet another indication of where the "ceiling" for that duration of effort lies.

So that's what we're all getting at when we say the Tour is getting slower.  It is, and it's a good sign, because it brings everything back into the realm of expected physiology.

I am glad to see that having watched the tour since I was a youngster,  we may now be seeing a more level playing field where we can reliably trust the performances we are witnessing, as it reinstalls some faith in what is an amazing sporting event.  I sincerely hope so anyway....

Hopefully Wiggins will be vindicated for his rant in Paris, with Froome stood alongside him on the podium

mrconners

• menacing presence
#32 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 01:07:21 pm

I am glad to see that having watched the tour since I was a youngster,  we may now be seeing a more level playing field where we can reliably trust the performances we are witnessing, as it reinstalls some faith in what is an amazing sporting event.  I sincerely hope so anyway....

NCB, you have put it more concisely than I. "Reliably trust" is all I can hope for. I used to see Ullrich, Riise and many other as idols. As I struggled up the snake pass on my old peugeot I used to think of them as superhumans. But the reality was they were cheats, charlatans.
I know with the advances in diet and training that performances are going to be improving massively and also it seems that riders from all teams are closer in their performance levels. Lets hope its good.
Wiggo will do well to hold them off till Paris and to be honest I think Froome is the better bet for Sky.

It's still a great race and a fine spectacle.

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 03:31:35 pm
I reckon Wiggo's remarks have come across in a bad way. I think he felt that people were questioning his "cleanliness" hence his frustrated answer. He's generally very eloquent about the subject even suggesting David Millar should be on the olympic team due to past infringements. Anyway come on Wiggo!

What has not been widely reported is that all the other journalists in the room applauded Wiggins after his answer....

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#34 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 11, 2012, 04:44:37 pm
Must be a bit bored today but have ended up foloowing a load of links about tour performance. The following one is about Lance Armstrong and his epo positive tests in the 99 tour. Pretty interesting and depressing stuff about a guy I always thought was a legend:

http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/michael-ashenden

mrconners

• menacing presence
#35 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 12:57:13 pm
http://www.itv.com/tourdefrance/stages/stage11/

If your able to watch at work. Bit advert heavy I think.

fatkid2000

• junky
#36 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 05:17:27 pm
Chris Froome into second - amazing ride and he could have ridden away from Wiggo in the last few kilometres.

north_country_boy

• junky
#37 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 05:21:40 pm
Chris Froome into second - amazing ride and he could have ridden away from Wiggo in the last few kilometres.

Brilliant stage. Sky answered a few doubters today I think, Froome is a sure fire bet as a future winner of the TDF. Wiggo is going to owe him big time if all goes to plan between now and Paris. Great to see a team working so hard for each other/the greater cause, a lot of which must go down to Brailsford.

Evans looked broken in the last few km's, I think he knew it was today or never, and gave too much too soon.

Stubbs

#38 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 07:44:15 pm
"Chriiiiis Chriiiis come baaaaaaaack"

tomtom

• forum hero
#39 Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 08:37:39 pm
Superb day. Sky ground the others down... Cadel looked broken.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#40 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 12, 2012, 09:43:01 pm
Awesome day! Froome has just got more and more to give for the team, unbelievable.

Felt awful for Evans. His face on crossing the line said it all. Nice to see the sportsmanship between Wiggins and Nivali at the end too.

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#41 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 01:06:58 am
Awesome stage!

I'll be honest i was slightly nervous when cuddles attacked to catch up to TJ as he looked so strong crossing the gap but it turned out to be too big a move with 60+ kms to go. Getting dropped by an inattentive TJ and then not being able to hang on to the front group must have been horrible for him. The look of pain on his face as he crossed the line knowing that he'd lost another minute + to Wiggo said it all

It's defo Wiggo's to lose now

fatkid2000

• junky
#42 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 09:43:43 am
Seem L'Equipe is comparing Sky with US postal & their ability to dominate - no doubt this is their way of stating that the team are all doped to the eye balls - with alot of chatter about Chris Froome's rise to fame.

Chris Froome probably could have taken 30 secs out of Bradley and may be even closer if he hadn't punctured in stage one. I think people are forgetting it's a 3 week bike race & given Wiggo's TT ability he's more likely to win the thing. Maybe in a more mountain orientated Tour - Froome must be a possibility to be team leader.

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#43 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 10:08:58 am
here are a couple of stupid questions...
in the grand scheme of things how big is wiggins's lead i.e. compared to previous winners etc?
At what stage will be passed the crux and almost home and dry? (barring disasters)

cofe

• forum hero
#44 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 10:28:17 am
I think people are forgetting it's a 3 week bike race & given Wiggo's TT ability he's more likely to win the thing. Maybe in a more mountain orientated Tour - Froome must be a possibility to be team leader.

A lot are missing that, although Froome is looking awesome in the hills. The next TT suits Wiggins even more than the last, so he'll gain time again.

Great stuff as always tho innit.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#45 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 10:53:57 am
here are a couple of stupid questions...
in the grand scheme of things how big is wiggins's lead i.e. compared to previous winners etc?
At what stage will be passed the crux and almost home and dry? (barring disasters)

Wiggins lead is pretty hefty at present compared to last year, but it can change enormously day to day in mountains/tt.

the last crux will be the final tt (a week on sat) the sunday is usually a romp around paris, provided there are no big crashes

come on Wiggo, come on Froomey!

(how strong are Eddie the boss, Rogers and Porte ----> Relentless)

Dolly

• forum hero
#46 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 11:28:55 am
Just one bad day is all it takes.
I think its far from over - there's still the so called "circle of death" in the Pyrenees next Wednesday.
It is great to watch though

tomtom

• forum hero
#47 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 11:36:53 am
What has impressed me about Sky is how they are so quietly confident and organised. I watched the last 2 hours yesterday, and it was almost like Sky and Wiggins had a pre-determined pace for each climb and stuck to it.. shedding team members as required.. Very impressive. You could see Cadel was fading 1/2 hour from the end - the head and shoulders started to bob as he was putting more and more into it - wheras Wiggins just metronomically pumped away... 

Froome-dawg was how one fo the riders referred to him (in a friendly way) in an interview after the last tt..

Its truly inspiring stuff - whatever sport you follow/do.

Dolly

• forum hero
#48 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 11:49:03 am
Good point on the ITV commentary I thought about how Wiggo timetrials his way in the mountains -  whether that's to catch a break or to take out a lead.
In other words he doesn't have that explosive breakaway thing but keeps his rhythm and just gets on with it

(That's a long winded way of saying I agree with you tomtom)

north_country_boy

• junky
#49 Re: Le Show de Bradley Wiggins
July 13, 2012, 01:24:27 pm
Almost being treated as a rest day by Sky today, dictating a very slow pace for the peloton with no risk from those upfront. This might lead to an exciting finale as a few of the contenders look to make a break later on....

Really wish I was In France and not work watching this....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal