UKBouldering.com

La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper? (Read 4978 times)

Gritter

• menacing presence
La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
June 30, 2012, 11:12:37 am
I've just purchased a set of these and although super snug in the toe and heel department the upper is ever so slightly baggy. My question is if I downsize another half which would cause me some discomfort initially (man up) will it solve the problem? or is this just an unfortunate characteristic of the shoe?
Thanks for any help. :2thumbsup:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
June 30, 2012, 01:01:18 pm
I have only briefly tried them on, without climbing in them.
They just didn't feel right for me: when not worn the upper forms a lot of plies, doesn't seem very tight. The velcro closure seemed absolutely useless.
They are in many online shops with heavy discounts here in Italy, this is never a good sign.
Anyway Sportiva shoes in my experience stretch a lot (even Solutions, which have a lot of rubber and should not stretch much), so going down half a size won't probably cause much harm, although I don't think it will solve your issue.
Why don't you try the Futura? They have the rounded sole, but the closure is quite good and the heel should be good as well.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#2 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
June 30, 2012, 04:04:18 pm
I bought a pair of these in Font. The upper bags a little when compared with the ares covered in rubber, but it isn't a problem in terms of performance. However, I always buy shoes that are massively too small so bagging out tends not to be a problem for me.

hobblingfool

• regular
#3 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
June 30, 2012, 05:02:51 pm
I was worried about this too, but it doesn't make a difference to their performance. Been bouldering indoors and out for 3 months in them, really nice shoes. Will be getting another pair when they wear out. Enjoy

Gritter

• menacing presence
#4 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
June 30, 2012, 05:15:21 pm
They're only baggy when I'm flat footed and it isn't loads so I'm hoping going down the half size may alleviate this. Shoes being the proportionate things they are, I presume the overall volume should be slightly less, fingers crossed and all that!
Can't find an online retailer in the uk selling the futuras! Any help? :thumbsup:

thrashhard

• player
#5 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
July 04, 2012, 07:31:11 am
Buy them as tight as possible. And even tighter.
They strech a loooooot, they are unlined leather plus the leather is pretty thin and weak so they strech even more than other leathershoes. when i compare them to my Instict LU, which is also a unlined leather shoe, the Python streched a full size more than the Instinct. They also won´t stay on your foot if you buy them to big since the velcro is in fact totally useless.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#6 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
July 04, 2012, 05:05:52 pm
So I bought them another size down and they are now absolutely crippling me but I'm used to that. The upper is still bloody baggy though. I'm itching to try them out but obviously once I've christened them I can't send them back so my new question is are they worth persevering with even with the baggy upper?

thrashhard

• player
#7 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
July 05, 2012, 05:36:34 pm
in my opinion NO.
the shoe is very soft so the whole thing about it is to have a perfect snug fit to get tension in the toes.
when the upper is baggy and bags out you will lose the whole toepower when the shoe is breaking in and it gets too soft.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
July 05, 2012, 06:09:17 pm
No, if you want a performance shoe.
The baggy upper will stay in your mind forever, I think, to the point that it could also hinder performance, despite being possibly perfect.
Be patient a try another shoe.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#9 Re: La Sportiva Python Baggy Upper?
July 06, 2012, 04:30:46 pm
Thanks for the advice. I've decided I'm gonna keep them anyway and try them out in font. They feel as though they would be too good on steep stuff not to give them a go. If i don't I'll always wonder what if? Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal