UKBouldering.com

NYE - Climax or Crisis? (Read 11271 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 17, 2002, 09:19:12 pm
In my circle of friends there is an annual seven week argument surrounding New Years eve, some people want to go clubbing, some want to go for a meal, some want a house party (but noones ever up for hosting it) and some just want to go to a pub.

Last year the non-clubbers bowed to the will of those who were up for it and we went to exhilaration and it was shite. We were all home by 1:30 and vowed never to go near a club on NYE again. This year after much deliberation the group has split. Half are staying in Sheffield and going to the Broady and the other half are going to see Jacques lu Cont and justin Robertson at Sankeys in Manchester and then staying in a hotel.

Me, I've broken the vows of last year and will be chewing a bag of spanners in Sankeys...

What are you all up to?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 17, 2002, 10:05:25 pm
I know the dilemma only too well, and I don't want to put you off Dobbin - Sankey's is a fine venue, the place can go mental (even though we got chucked out last time we were there  :oops:  - security thought my girlfriend was dealing!)

Anyway, for years we always went clubbing and endured the queues, packed dancefloor, pissy security, etc in the belief that we were having a great time.  Then, after going to NY Sushi at the Music Factory and spending 12 o'clock listening to Weatherall in the bleedin' cloakroom queue it started to dawn on me that it was all a bit overrated. The final nail in the coffin for me was when me and Sel drove over to Bugged Out in Liverpool with our £27 tickets, ready for a top night and the same old shite was there. We were having to queue for 1/2 hour to get between rooms, the dancefloors were too packed to move, the place was full of wankers hassling Sel all night, getting to the bar was a nightmare and don't even mention the toilets.

It got to shortly after new year and in the crush in the main room when Fatboy Slim started his (rather good as it happens) set, we just thought "fuck this" and headed home hours before the end - what an anti-climax. So, that's that, never again....combined with the fact that I feel I'm getting a bit past my clubbing days  :cry:  has put us at a real loose end.

Same dilemma - meal? Problems with booking, hassle with cabs, etc or probably the best option - semi-party/session round someone's house. Full on party is too hard to organize and loads of people are away, so we'll all probably end up getting messy, gurning, talking bollocks and mixing appallingly on a set of decks  :P  Good larf, but I still always feel I should be out clubbing or doing something out and about.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#2 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:49:23 am
Consider yourself lucky - my misses is on standby from 5pm to 12am on NYE so bang goes my fun - unless she gets called for a flight nice and early that is. Failing that it looks like i won't even be leaving the house till midnight!

dave

#3 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 08:58:05 am
Here's what i usually do - drive up Ringinlow Road with your bizitch, park just up that left by Norfolk arms. Don your down jacket, walk up that track up the hill next to the woods (past the car with the couple  :bang: ing) and watch the fireworks go off over sheff and chesterfield. You'll be in her good books for the rest of the year. :wink:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 09:34:43 am
Funny you should mention them woods - met my good lady in the middle of them at about 6am after a fine old naughty rave - good venue, couldn't see or hear a thing from outside - glad is wasn't me who carried all the generators and kit up there though.

dave

#5 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 10:00:23 am
I bet it was the white gloves, whistle, vicks inhaler and Champion top that did it for her.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 10:32:29 am
Oh dear, you don't know how close to the truth you are there  :!:  :oops:  :oops: .....embarrassing now, but it were great at the time :P

dave

#7 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 11:00:32 am
Luckily i was spared the embarrasment by being about 10 years old at the time.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 11:11:16 am
yeah, alright, alright, I know I'm an old git but I can now sit back in me rocking chair and say with conviction "clubbing today....it's just not like it used to be".
Certainly was a right laff but it was also responsible for me giving up climbing for 8 years which is why I'm so pants these days. That do in the forest was 2 days before a final exam too - not such a good idea.

nik at work

• forum hero
#9 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 11:29:27 am
Ahhhhhh. New years eve provides me with the ideal oportunity to pop the 2-CD Val Doonigan mega-mix in the old multiplay, toss a couple of logs in the wood burner and unfurl the ten thousand piece jigsaw I have been working on for the last 7 years while the little lady cracks on with the needle point. And all evening we can watch that nice Mr Deayton on the beeb, or if we are feeling a bit racy we can always try listening to the latest musical combo's from the hit parade on Mr Hollands show on channel two.
Just need to find my cardigan and slippers......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 11:37:08 am
Wow, you really know how to raise hell !! You want to get one of those nice mono-slippers next:

dave

#11 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 11:45:54 am
On the subject of NYE, was it only me that found the whole 2000 millenium thing a complete bag of bollocks? i can't belive everyone was celebrating it a year early, but not that it even means anything anyway. And what about all them mentalists who said the world was going to end and cash machines would be pouring out tenners on the stroke of midnight. I hope they feel suitably stupid now. Are we stuck in a world of idiots or something?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:15:26 pm
I think it was all a bit overhyped by the IT profession, but who can blame 'em - we all made good money out of it!

Having said that, I did quite a lot of y2k work for a high-street bank's pension systems, and if those changes hadn't have been made, the there would have been many nipples pointing skywards, and money would have been all over the shop. I reckon there would have been a lot of problems, and I certainly wouldn't have liked to have been on a plane when that clock struck 12, but I think the coming armageddon was perhaps a bit over-pessimistic.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:17:45 pm
Would have been a great time to start up a cult though - I can just see it now - stacks of nubile, rich heiresses offering themselves and their bank accounts unto Lord Bubba and then conveniently committing suicide in the belief that they were off to that space ship hiding behind the comet or some other poop.

<sigh> such missed opportunities....

dave

#14 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:28:21 pm
YEah some systems were gonna have probs, but i think everone got them sorted well in advance.

But the whole armageddon/nostradamus/judgement day thing was just screwy - so yeah the world is gonna end just cos we happen to count in base ten right?? Hello? like what-ev-er.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:37:48 pm
Not just the base 10 thang - the whole calendar is based upon the percieved birth-date of some fictional character (sorry any Chrisitians reading this) and is there any reasoning that even if the Lord God Almighty did exist, he'd want to screw things up just coz 2k years since the birth of his son were up?

Yes, that makes a lot of sense doesn't it.....just like the rest of Christianity (oops I've done it again!)

dave

#16 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:50:31 pm
Quote from: "Bubba"
just like the rest of Christianity (oops I've done it again!)

Slow down Britney, don't they recon that if he did exist (which he probably did, or at least someone matching his description) he was born several years BC anyway, and it was sometime in july or something anyway.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:57:09 pm
I'm not denying that there was probably some geeza who was a spiritual leader or summat, but I just don't buy the whole god thang I'm afraid, although I'm sure I'll be proved wrong one day and sent to the eternal flames....

nik at work

• forum hero
#18 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 12:57:34 pm
New years eve, drugs, sex, stupid people, computers and religion with a smatering of 'products designed to fleece the elderly' all before lunch. My I am impressed.
Why at this rate I am confident we can get a Jihhad or Fattwah going by the close of play. New balls please.......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#19 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 01:05:30 pm
I've just realised that I've just potentially offended 200 million Christians worldwide.
Oh well, to quote Groove Armada, "If everybody looked the same, We'd get tired looking at each other". Each to their own and all that.

Now, I'm sure we can get a Fatwah sorted before the day is up..... That Osama, he's a right ***in ***fested *****er...

nik at work

• forum hero
#20 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 01:58:27 pm
See how much more you can achieve with just a little extra effort? :twisted:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#21 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:07:23 pm
I think I may have done too much already as someone has just been trying to bombard the forum from a specific, anonymous IP address - thanks whoever you are......not.

dave

#22 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:12:35 pm
Thats baaad. Maybe we have some islamic fundamentalists lurking.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:22:01 pm
Oh no, it's horses head on the pillow time for me....

dave

#24 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:32:37 pm
Hey, my description has changed to "obsessive maniac", you cheeky fuck!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#25 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:36:20 pm
Ha ha, you just wait 'til the next rank, then you'll be really upset!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:39:28 pm
Might have an overhaul of the ranks, now that some people are getting high - currently they are:

Rank                        Posts
newbie                        1
regular                        30
player                         75
addict                         110
menacing presence      160
stalker                        250
obsessive maniac        300
sad fuck with no life     500

Any Ideas?

dave

#27 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:40:31 pm
bollocks. I might go back and delete my old posts, will that unwind my postcount, a bit like clocking a motor?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:47:35 pm
That's rather an extreme solution old chaaaap! Of course, as a moderator you do qualify for the never-changing "henchman" rank if sir would prefer that?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#29 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 02:58:39 pm
You know with Fatwa's - how come John Welford hasn't got one for naming a route Jehovakill? I didn't think you were even supposed to mention the word Jehova?

Its all a bit odd really.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#30 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 03:00:41 pm
You've just said it twice in one post! You're doomed! doooomed!!

dave

#31 NYE - Climax or Crisis?
December 18, 2002, 03:13:42 pm
I'd love to name a route "Men Behaving Jihadly".

Bubba, i'll think up a henchman-type name with a suitable gritty urban ghetto ring to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal