UKBouldering.com

Family holiday ideas - probably not climbing (Read 21359 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Just do what the woman wants Will. Happy wife happy life

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Not sure of your budget Will but found these two places when scouting for hotels before settling on the Tarifa trip. Both look nice and if your missus is anything like mine then she'll get all excited by the nice white sheets and airy rooms...

http://www.calreiet.com/
http://www.hoteletsantanyi.com/

Can't vouch for either of them personally or if the town of Santanyi is nice but thought I'd share just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodma

• forum hero
Thanks for all your views everyone. Mallorca looks spot on, and with car hire being £30 a week at the time we're looking to go, we should be able to get around quite easily.
Spent some time on my lunch yesterday looking at rustic little B&Bs in the interior of the island and found some quite cheap offers. Showed them to the wife in the evening and her face fell! So now, having a better understanding of what we want(!), it seems that: being next to the sea is absolutely essential; and the accommodation should be modern.

So it seems to me like we need to look at a package holiday. I haven't been on one in my adult life and I'm afraid to say that, rather snobbishly, I'm really struggling to get past the image of a soulless white block, next to a beach packed to the gills with blistering red Europeans, and mandatory karaoke in the evenings. Basically like that Benidorm sitcom.
Can anyone help me ensure marital harmony by suggesting one of Mallorca's quieter towns (I've heard Pollenca is nice actually) where I won't be accosted by pissheads spilling out of the local Red Lion or Flanagan's. If it happens to be within easy reach (30 mins or less) drive of the DWS in the south east of the island then all the better.

Sorry for being hopelessly snobbish.
We built a package through Thomson, so it included car hire, flight and villa (with its own pool, covered bbq area etc) just for the two of us. Works out relatively cheap, since their car hire add on was only about 100 quid a week.

You'd need to check they go where you want, but their service is awesome

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Just do what the woman wants Will. Happy wife happy life

What Dense said.  We can be right selfish buggers at times.   A week of relaxing and chilling out by the sea or the pool with some nice food and drink, a good book and naps after lunch .  What's not to like?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Anybody got any recent recommendations?
2 kids (6 and 3), non-climbing wife, June, not megabucks. A nice beach would be good but also need other stuff (maybe including a sneaky climb). I've heard Croatia is nice.

dunnyg

• forum hero
Yorkshire is nice that time of year. Good beach at Costa del Tod. Croatia dws looks bon, Sardinia? Mallorca?

andy popp

• forum hero
Go camping in Brittany?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Brittany is lovely in June Will. You can also take the overnight ferry in your own car and get a cabin (they’re cheap). Kids will love it.

Great food, beaches and nice places to visit. Plus there’s good beach bouldering for a potter.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Brittany is on my wishlist for summer again. Crozon Peninsula has surf on one side, calm seas on the other, cragging at Pen Hir and bouldering. Plus waterparks..

Croatia is nice, but when we looked last year it had become very expensive. Is this your last year of avoiding school holidays?

Area around Lisbon is lovely too. Can easily go into the city for day trips.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Brittany looks great but maybe one for another year since we had a holiday in France last year.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
We’re going to Galicia this Summer (can’t wait!).  I’ve done Asturias and the Basque region before and they are both brilliant places to holiday. Accessible by ferry too as well as flying.

webbo

• forum hero
What about Haute Savouir or lower Alps. Find some where there is a lake and you’ve got a beach holiday in the mountains.
Samoens or Morzine for example.

andy popp

• forum hero
I would say come to Denmark - the beaches are absolutely wonderful - but cheap it is not.

SA Chris

• forum hero
What about Haute Savouir or lower Alps. Find some where there is a lake and you’ve got a beach holiday in the mountains.
Samoens or Morzine for example.

Samoens and the Giffre Valley are brilliant (ace swimming lake) but Morzine is rammed due to the popularity of the mountain biking these days. Les Contaimines is also great, just far away from Chamonix to not get as rammed. 

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Fleetwood.

andy popp

• forum hero
Here you go Will, budget beach holidays. Galicia looks like a winner, but presumably will now be packed.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/03/readers-favourite-budget-beach-campsites-hotels-in-europe

Paul B

• forum hero
Anybody got any recent recommendations?
2 kids (6 and 3), non-climbing wife, June, not megabucks. A nice beach would be good but also need other stuff (maybe including a sneaky climb). I've heard Croatia is nice.

No kids here but we've been loving the ease of Jet2 package deals from Manchester.

Mallorca was mentioned above. I've been several times over the past few years and this time it didn't feel cheap at all.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Here you go Will, budget beach holidays. Galicia looks like a winner, but presumably will now be packed.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/mar/03/readers-favourite-budget-beach-campsites-hotels-in-europe

I've been through a bit of a journey on the last couple of days. When Ben mentioned Galicia I thought "I know that's somewhere nice and warm in France or Spain, but I don't know exactly where", so I googled it and found out that it is the region of Western Ukraine and Southern Poland. I thought, well Ben is a trendy Londoner so he's probably into touring the Hapsburgian cultural sites and sampling 100 varieties of pickled heritage potato, but that's not going to wash with Daisy. Then I clicked on Andy's link and I'm with the programme again. Galicia does indeed look nice.

Having looked at flights I suspect the price of these is going to be the limiting factor so we might end up going where the low fares lead and getting an Airbnb/Vrbo.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Made me chuckle Will. We’re off to the Spanish Galicia, but I have to admit the food is a big draw.  We got an air B&B up in the hills near Padron/Santiago de Compostela but chose to fly in and out of Porto and drive there but there are airports nearby that RyanAir.  I later learned it’s like the Salusbury Plain/Callanais/Carnac of Spain and chock full of Neolithic sites so I’m even more excited. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
As earlier Q Will, are you able to avoid school holidays still?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
We have a week in June where most schools are back but ours isn't.
Flights were the deal-breaker in the end so I scoured Airbnb last night and found a place in Andalucia. Psyched.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
 Andalucia is great, I spent a lot of summer holidays there as a kid cause my grandmother lived there. Will be bloody hot in June, fair warning!

andy popp

• forum hero
We had a fantastic week in Andalucia over New Year a few years ago - would have so many (cultural type) recommendations (but as SM90 said, it's likely to be pretty warm in June).

SA Chris

• forum hero
Where exactly? (please say "Mawbayer").

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Apologies for the lazy question. Does anybody know if there is a car hire company that won't bend you over when adding kids' car seats?
This add-on happens later in the order so the cost is hidden until the end and I'd rather avoid having to click through a million web forms testing different providers.
Goldcar want £100 to hire two car seats for a week...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal