the shizzle > shootin' the shit

Family holiday ideas - probably not climbing

(1/23) > >>

lagerstarfish:
Looking to have a family holiday at the end of August

either one or two weeks

me, wife, one year old, three year old and 12 year old

budget of £1.5K for travel and accommodation - self catering food costs on top

wife not keen on camping - especially with a one year old - static caravans and chalets are acceptable

since I am out of action climbing wise, this is a good opportunity to have a non-climbing holidy

we like easy cycling - flatish trails suitable for a man recovering from a broken ankle with a child on the back

we like the beach

we like swimming

we like fishing (not essential)

we like food/cooking/barbecues, especially seafood

would rather not travel/drive for more than one long day - willing to reconsider if people know better or have ace ideas of where to stop off

Ideas so far have been - gite in Northern France for two weeks (plenty in the sub £500/week range) - chalet camping on sites with pools/activities in Northern France for two weeks - one week on a Haven site in Cornwall/Devon (shit idea) - I go on a sofa surfing drink and drugs bender and give the rest of the family a couple of weeks of peace (not acceptable, apparently)

Thinking of places like this http://www.camping-levaldetrie.fr/homegb/page_homegb.htm
reasonable distance from good beaches and enough stuff to keep kids happy on site - also looking at Eurocamp...

Good gites are all well and good, but there's less chance of the kids making friends

Any of you lot got some better ideas?

Cheers

andy popp:
Brittany surely? Ticks all the boxes. I went to a Eurocamp at Carnac with mine a couple of years ago and it was very good, great site, fabulous beaches - some of the best sea swimming I've ever had and a massive nostalgia kick for me from childhood holidays. But I'm struck this year just how fucking expensive Eurocamp is. This year I have a gite on outskirsts of Fontainbleau itself from late July, a grand for two weeks and easy striking distance of Paris (critical for 14 year old daughter).

Oldmanmatt:
http://www.ile-noirmoutier.com/

This was the place we spent the first two weeks of our summer Euro tour, when I was a kid (70's and early 80's).
My sister visited around 5 years back and says it hasn't changed very much.

It's a little paradise.

Lots of cycling, very flat.

Used to spend hours, with the Breton nets, fishing for Flatties and scallops.

We used to stay in the Municipal campsite and it was still there when my sis went.

The island is ringed by miles of golden beaches and dunes, the Chateaux is a real medieval castle and the campsite is under those spreading pines.

Tide goes out for miles and we spent hours hunting shells and octopus in the tide pools.

Famous for it's oysters.

Short trip across the bridge (or causeway at low tide) and Brittany is there for the taking.

tomtom:

--- Quote from: andy popp on April 28, 2012, 08:32:11 pm ---Brittany surely? Ticks all the boxes. I went to a Eurocamp at Carnac with mine a couple of years ago and it was very good, great site, fabulous beaches - some of the best sea swimming I've ever had and a massive nostalgia kick for me from childhood holidays. But I'm struck this year just how fucking expensive Eurocamp is. This year I have a gite on outskirsts of Fontainbleau itself from late July, a grand for two weeks and easy striking distance of Paris (critical for 14 year old daughter).

--- End quote ---

Brittany 2 summers ago was ace. Well reccomended. If you go the week after French hols finish prices drop by 30-50%.. Could get 2 gites in diff parts? Ferry can be a bit pricey £250-400 depending on what route/times.. Happy to give more info.. We found some top places in n and e Brittany..

fatdoc:
Brittany, google pont de la torche campsite. Book direct, I prefer the night ferry to st Malo. Every year for years... Get a bodyboard, eat well and love life. You will not be disappointed, total recommendation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version