technical > computers, technology and the internet

Cloud Storage

(1/20) > >>

tomtom:
Hello,
I'm a big fan of cloud storage/online backup being a dropbox user for a couple of years and having used Mozy/Carbonite for online file back up for 4 years or so... I've also been beta testing Bitcasa (which promised unlimited backup...)

But in the last day or two the market has shifted somewhat with first Microsoft revamping/launching/whatever its Skydrive product and Google releasing/updating etc.. google drive...

I've just been playing with skydrive this AM - and it installed and works fine on all my machines (inside and outside of various work firewalls) - any experience of the other? The pricing of the google and MS products look similar - and better than Dropbox for the 100gb options... (c.£3 month)...
TT

Jaspersharpe:
Might be issues with Google Drive........

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/btl/how-far-does-google-drives-terms-go-in-owning-your-files/75228

slackline:
Not tried anything other than Dropbox and Box (as the later were offering 50Gb free when they released their Android app).  One feature I like of Box is that you can mount it as a local file system (under Linux at least, can't be arsed searching for the HowTo I followed as it wouldn't be of interest to anyone, but it involves using the devfs filesystem to mount WebDAV resources).  Setting this up to periodically automount and sync with a given directory makes backing up hassle free and means there is no need to have a dedicated program open and running all the time.

With regards to Google Drive, you'll retain ownership, but Google can use anything you upload to Drive for promoting any of their services presumably without remuneration.

On the plus side if anything the competition will push Dropbox & other services prices down  :clap2:

cofe:
Google is clearly as bent as a nine bob note. Dropbox still works fine for me, so I'll be sticking with that for the timebeing. Plus it's easy enough to expand Dropbox free storage - my current 5+ gb is more than enough.

slackline:
Just clocked on Twitter that you may be able to get 25Gb free on SkyDrive if you sign up soon.  No other links I'm afraid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version