UKBouldering.com

Neck Braces- Downhill (Read 3973 times)

chriss

• obsessive maniac
Neck Braces- Downhill
April 19, 2012, 01:19:19 pm

NECK BRACES- have been doing a fair bit of reading on them & am thinking of investing. What are the thoughts of the UKB riders as none of my mates use them.

Cheers.

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#1 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 19, 2012, 10:40:15 pm
all my DH mates wear them nowdays and think they are really good. As much info as i can give you.... sorry  :)

ianv

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 19, 2012, 11:09:26 pm
I bought my son one, luckily he has done anything to prove how effective they are. His is an evs one, way cheaper than the leatt braces.

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 19, 2012, 11:12:16 pm
I haven't used one, and part of the reason for that was down to fatdoc's advice - he's the man to ask for the factual opinion as he's done the reading / is privy to some research based evidence on the matter. I'll let him speak up though...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 02:13:42 pm
If you want one, go for it.

There will never be high level of evidence trials, obviously.

Therate of neck injury in MX and BMX is higher than DH...

In fact in DH it is a rare injury.

i Believe there is a vast amount if hype over this, recent SDH forum posts worth reading.

My interpretation is thus:

The current trend of cotton t shirt, full facer, and neck brace is a fashion statement, where 100s of ££ have been spent but not on the kit that will give u more days in the bike if u fall off a fair it.

The cost of these devices is ridiculous

The mechanical splint of such devices forces more clavicle fractures and shoulder separations, to protect the cervical spine. the issue being if on a MX the velocity of injury being such this is a small price to pay... For your neck is more likely to be snapped in MX.. Forces being greater.

IMO for DH MTB that is too much a price to pay. so I don't wear one.

I would have thought if you were to wear one it would be the last bit of kit o n the body protection list of purchases.

Hope that helps, check out SDH for a spectrum... A wide spectrum.... Of opinion!

fatkid2000

• junky
#5 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 09:17:34 pm
From a randomised control study of 1, I currently am more persuaded by fatdoc's argument.

One of my relatively regular patients has had treadful shoulder problems following a fall wearing one of these braces. He's had a badly fractured clavicle and recurrently dislocating shoulder - 3 lots of surgery & a treadful functioning shoulder now. With the side note of chronic pain issues.

He reckons it was the type of crash that he's had loads of and was pretty benign. He's adamant  that the injury would have been less severe if he hadn't been wearing the brace. He accepts that a battered shoulder is better than a C-spine fracture but he doubts his neck would have been at risk in the crash he had.

ianv

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 09:25:33 pm
But, if one was to wear body armour as well as the brace, would the clavicle issue be such a big deal? My son wears his with his armour and it rests on the big plastic shoulder pads, this should dissipate the force somewhat. Non?

Anyway, the EVS one is about £150 so not as outrageously priced as the Leatt.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 09:54:27 pm
I guess the thing that confuses me is with who is or isn't wearing one at World cup level given money is not a problem. The risk of injury is higher because of the speed they reach & the terrain they ride. Obviously skill level is higher & machinery is better.

I'm currently out with 4 fractured ribs & dislocated shoulder, I'll happily take them over a fucked back.   

Money wise I'm happy to spend on safety, kinda' like spending out on a decent boulder pad.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#8 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 10:06:49 pm
K Chris, the deal with Ian he rightful protects his son to the hilt... Young little ripper he is!

As for Fatkid.... I ve heard this dozens of times...

As for the th sponsored rider.... It's cash to wear.. Ignore the BS.

I, as u know, think they are more dangerous in DH MTB than their worth.

I strongly suggest u read a large numbe or threads on the subject on SDH forum.... Vast array of experience and opinion there, best in the UK and the Internet as a whole I can find... Not just bleating and shouting...

ianv

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 11:01:06 pm
My reasoning for buying one for my son was that I would feel pretty shit if he didn't have one and ended up fucked. A collar bone is a bit less critical than a broken back. It only needs to work once! His reason for wanting one was that he thinks that they are cool!

I don't know it they work but you see people like dan atherton, marla streb and Stephen murray and ask, what if?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#10 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 20, 2012, 11:14:25 pm
I hear you,

IMO rite choice for yr child.

Evidence base... Poor...

Sleep at night.. Priceless.

Me  no wear one.. No reason to, as above.

If I were lucky enough to have a child as into DH as yr young un... They would have one.

God bless the understandable irrational behaviour of parents.

This, though, IMO.. Does not answer the thread question... See recommended links above

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 22, 2012, 08:25:50 pm
This is still a bit of a mine field & still very much a personal decision. I know you cant make a dangerous sport safe, but I guess that's why we like it....

Fat doc, the site your referring to is that Southern Downhill site? I have been reading a fair bit on Pinkbike.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#12 Re: Neck Braces- Downhill
April 22, 2012, 08:40:51 pm
sorry, yes it is. you have to register to get in... you're right... minefield.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal