UKBouldering.com

Web Page Blocking / Parental Control Stuff (Read 9504 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
boys are slightly less complicated than dogs

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
They're far less complicated than cats, I know that much. :)

lukeh

• addict
Personally I don't remember ever having an honest justification for 'internet studying' until I became an undergrad and needed to read papers, and only managed to figure that out in third year. The books for gcse/alevels were much more targeted...

How about just changing the router password so that there is no internet access and buying something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OOG2IG

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
How about just changing the router password so that there is no internet access and buying something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005OOG2IG

Its a few years old and Britannica kicked up a stink about the article at the time, but Wikipedia has less inaccuracies than Britannica and given that Britannica recently stopped producing the full 32-volume set I doubt it will be much longer until they ditch the slimmed down version.  Its all  down to Encarta!

Personally I think a lot of the statistics and genetics articles on Wikipedia are very well written and happen to be aware that there are some professors who dedicate time to writing/maintaining some of the articles on the later topic.

lukeh

• addict
Wikipedia has less inaccuracies than Britannica

Interesting.

I remember a first year lecturer telling his class that anyone handing in an essay with wiki in the references would receive a 0. Not that I'm saying I agree with him, I rarely find bad articles when using it these days.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Wikipedia has less inaccuracies than Britannica

Interesting.

I remember a first year lecturer telling his class that anyone handing in an essay with wiki in the references would receive a 0. Not that I'm saying I agree with him, I rarely find bad articles when using it these days.

These days most of the articles on Wikipedia (or at least those that I read) cite their sources for you to go and read yourself and reference.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Personally I don't remember ever having an honest justification for 'internet studying' until I became an undergrad and needed to read papers, and only managed to figure that out in third year. The books for gcse/alevels were much more targeted...
They don't get so many books now, they get interactive CD things that link up to various pages online, or something equally technical and new-fangled.  I have no real idea how it works but it seems that school work and studying are very different to how they were.  I have no idea what you are supposed to do if you don't have a computer or internet access at home, I was pretty surprised when I heard how it all worked now but apparently it's standard. 

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Physical access was the only means we found for controlling it.  For the first kid this worked reasonably well. He's 19 now and a comupter genius through and through, so his computer was like his arm.  He couldn't deal with not having access.

For the second(15 yo), not so well.  Most of his time online was social and since we took it away he started sneaking out at night to hang w his friends.  Eventually brought home by the cops.  Total backfire. 

Be careful which direction you go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal