UKBouldering.com

Camelbak (or alternative) suggestions (Read 9250 times)

Durbs

• forum hero
Camelbak (or alternative) suggestions
April 16, 2012, 03:14:58 pm
My sister's signed up to do a London -> Paris charity cycle in June.
An impressive feat in 3 days, even more so as she only bought a bike 2 months ago...

Anyway, it was her birthday yesterday and I was looking at getting her a Camelbak or something similar.
The organisers carry all the participants' stuff (clothes and suchlike), so it doesn't need to have much capacity, just gloves, puncture kit, snacks etc.

Any suggestions for something < £30? Is it worth staying with Camelbak or are there better systems out there?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You can get fairly decent ones in Decathlon for less money than a Camelbak tm. Does she need an entire backpack system thing, or just the bladder and tube?

chris05

• forum abuser
I wasn't impressed with the decathlon version, cant remember the exact reason but think something started leaking. Would spend more if buying another one, although the price of camelbaks is a bit off putting.

Durbs

• forum hero
@Chris - Either/or really - she has no cycling equipment really, so would need a comfortable back-pack anyway for the hours in the saddle so probably a complete system.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Camelbak (or alternative) suggestions
April 16, 2012, 03:37:20 pm
I've had a camelback clone i got in Oz 5-6 years ago. Still going strong.. Never really understood the reason behind the price premium.. Apart from the brand that is. Good things though.. Nice trick on a hot day is to pop a freezer block/bag inbetween the liquid pack and the inside of the backpack thingy.. Keeps your back and the drink cool :)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
I got the Source Widepac recently.  Cheap and cheerful, easy to clean and does the job.  Although I had a few rucksacks already, so didn't want an all-in-one system.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#6 Camelbak (or alternative) suggestions
April 16, 2012, 03:56:58 pm
I got a cheap one in Halfords, 3yrs and still going...

I use a flattened screw top milk carton (tescos uht works well) 1/3 full of water, instead of an ice block, that way I can ditch the weight when it has thawed.

underground

• forum hero
I'd avoid the 'Antidote' bladder if going Camelbak, mine sprang a leak from the tube connector after a day of use and I subsequently found a whole load of reference to this on the 'net.

I picked up an older style Camelbak 'Rogue' model with the older style bladder for £25 in Sheffield Decathlon very recently and was told the bigger shops have other models similarly cheap.

Alternatively maybe look at the 'Hydrapak' brand which got good reviews / less expense when I last looked at them on Chain Reaction Cycles

brown832

:off:I got one from tescos, for under a tenner, had it for a year and it still works fine

Durbs

• forum hero
Cool - thanks for the tips, will check out hydrapack and see what Decathlon have :)

Dolly

• forum hero
I think its worth getting one with a screw in attachment to the bladder rather than a push in.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
She'll probably feel more comfortabe with her stuff in a bag attached to the bike and conventional water bottles in frame mounted holders

I don't like cycling with anything on my back

I am soft

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
Most mpountain bikers i know use a mule, a bit more than your budget but for long self supported rides its pretty much my default choice.  i assume she needs to take a few spares and bits and pieces, spare tube, allen keys, puncture kit, rain jacket, pump, keys, passport, money, phone, maybe a map or instructions.  seems a lot to not have some kind of pack and would suit the mule.  add in a full bladder for the day and away she goes.

underground

• forum hero
I think its worth getting one with a screw in attachment to the bladder rather than a push in.

Exactly why mine leaked (it was in a Mule)

The Rogue from Decathlon has the tube perma-ttached

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Mine is from Decathalon and I really like it, it works fine, has never leaked and was a fraction of the price of a real Camelbak.  I think it might be a Rouge as the tube sounds like the one underground is talking about.

underground

• forum hero
I just took a look at mine when I emptied it - the tube is just a push fit actually but a tight one, like a barbed connector. I couldn't get it off with the veins sticking out of my neck and going red, to give an indication of effort involved  ;)

The Antidote I had problems with is a quick release fancy attachment with a spring and joins in it that the water constantly drips out of down the back of your pants

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Decathlon have 3litre Camelbak lobos in for 30 fuck alls.

£50 on Amazon and £60 most other places

Got lots in the Sheffield store at the mo, grab one whilst you can

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-Lobo.aspx

Yoof

• menacing presence
When I was in the JUNGLE there was a serious correlation between people with camelbacks and people who got  "cholelololololololera"(bacteria getting stuck in the tube/mouthpiece and then growing). I'm aware that  cycling around Europe is a bit different to jungle, in that the the risk of dysentery is less, but still. Something to ponder.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Handily Dec also do  a cleaning kit. Probably a good idea to use Milton or similar on occasion.

cofe

• forum hero
especially when in the JUNGLE.

Yoof

• menacing presence
Sorted then! Get her a Camelbak and a cleaning kit (or suggest a cleaning kit as a present from someone who's stuck for ideas)  :). Love the JUNGLE.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#21 Camelbak (or alternative) suggestions
June 12, 2012, 04:41:52 am
Puritabs and a bottle of Miltons...
Don't leave home without them.

Mind you, it's been a few years since I was in the JUNGLE, might be something better now.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Mine got furred up with that nasty black gunk all down the tube - that'll teach me to leave my diy isotonic drink in after summer rides. Nice!

Just left a tablet of Milton in clean water inside it for 24hrs and after a few rinses it was good as new.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Mine is from Decathalon and I really like it, it works fine, has never leaked and was a fraction of the price of a real Camelbak.  I think it might be a Rouge as the tube sounds like the one underground is talking about.

:agree:

tomtom

• forum hero
Friend of mine always stores theirs in the freezer... no tube hygene issues etc.. (not necessarily a junglecentric option though...)

Xan

• regular
My Decathlon rucksack thing is pretty comfy and I wouldn't have any issues with it for a three-day stretch. However, I did replace the original bladder with a Camelback one mostly because I think it's easier to clean (comes apart etc.). I've always just rinsed with water though, so I might check out them Miltons things...

Paul B

• forum hero
I bought a camelbak for use on larger routes and its been great. Due to weight concerns I went for the LUXE but the Hydrobak and Classic looked like good, cheaper alternatives (Decathlon options seemed heavy by comparison).

I thought the pack might get ruined on chimneying pitches etc. but thus far its held up well. However, I wasn't convinced by the Lobo as it seemed to weigh a tonne.

The bladder lives in the freezer and thus far there's no black gunk although no doubt I'll puncture it one day dropping something into the freezer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal