UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 483594 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
Sometimes I put tick marks on things when it's useful, as I reckon we all do, and that's fine as long as you brush em off after

Also sometimes when I am putting a little smudge on say, the foothold I intend to use, I also think of this thread and laugh. A bit of light hearted joshing ain't bullying.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Sometimes I put tick marks on things when it's useful, as I reckon we all do, and that's fine as long as you brush em off after

Also sometimes when I am putting a little smudge on say, the foothold I intend to use, I also think of this thread and laugh. A bit of light hearted joshing ain't bullying.

That's how things get re-interpreted though, isn't it? Scragrock makes a really important point.

I think you can post up Donkey Lines ;) and really make it clear how much you find it bloody annoying - and it is, and in a lot of cases just unthoughtful/inconsiderate - but it can very easily become something irrational/tribal, he/she is one of us, this bunch of bells aren't.
That's why those operating at higher levels don't get criticised as much, because we want to be in the Wads' group.

Looking at the photos from the last of Bob Moss, I see it as a symptom of everyone wanting to get out there to grab their FAs - emulating the insta-heros. Unearthing that problem has required removing a lot of moss.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
Morning Folks
Fiend, i really do appreciate the time and thought you put into things and thanks for the clear definitions. I hope the walks weren't without there upsides and the steep incline back to full fitness shallows quickly and easily.

To make it plain, i said it Felt like bullying but i am open to persuasion on this and i will certainly take the time to fully absorb the points you and others have made.

Some more thoughts-

Perhaps a better way to view it might be to bring out yer own dabs, then show the clean ascent or to show clips of brushing off your own ticks after use.

With this in mind if someone{Niall} were to post up a satirical vid of himself pretending to excessively tick and dab, i would like many of his commentary on climbing culture, laugh and carry on but with a positive reference for self awareness and change in the future.
I also think this might have a larger impact on change in the wider climbing community rather than just a poke at folks behaviour on an out of the way forum in a minority sports website.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
The BMC Respect the Rock thing might be a suitable vehicle for that, especially if featuring younger rock stars and plastered all over ukc. (The video, not donkey lines).

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Big donkey(s) at 1:20:

Bradders

• forum hero
Saw this block in the dabs thread with someone doing the shite looking traverse under the back of the roof. Had a look at this amazing looking prow though and...

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
Saw this block in the dabs thread with someone doing the shite looking traverse under the back of the roof. Had a look at this amazing looking prow though and...

He didn't even use half of them!

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.

He didn't even use half of them!
TBF: they may not have been his.
Awesome problem

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
They may not have been, but if you look at his comments below on Vimeo, it’s the video of his first ascent.

Oogachooga

• Definitely not talented at this sport
    • Forest of Dean Bouldering Guide
Can you chalk it for me so I can see it better? ta

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
Disgusting evidence of Colorado ticking:
https://youtu.be/xu7V23rJ9qs?t=61

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
Can you chalk it for me so I can see it better? ta

To be fair, the porthole has looked like that for 10 years

Dac

• player
Having seen the Colorado vid is there a man bun / fringe management hall of shame?

owensum

• player
Disgusting evidence of Colorado ticking:
https://youtu.be/xu7V23rJ9qs?t=61

We call this Rocky Mountain tick disease

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
I quite like that he gets every hold static and casually so the tickmarks aren't even needed.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I get the feeling they may not have been his.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
I didn't know that Christo and Jeanne-Claude climb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal