UKBouldering.com

System or Campus Board (Read 2653 times)

Tim Heaton

• addict
System or Campus Board
April 06, 2004, 02:29:00 pm
Unfortunately last year I moved to a very flat part of the country without a car so am stuck climbing on walls rather than outside :nopity:. I am however trying to persuade my university climbing club to get some decent training facilities to ease my withdrawal and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice:

Firstly how high and overhung does a systems board need to be for it to be of use, I reckon I could persuade my local wall to let me use one of their panels but it is only about 8ft high and 15 deg so could probably only get 2/3 moves in before hitting the roof. Is this a bit too small and would I need ridiculous weights to train properly on it.

Secondly, if that was a bit small, we found a bit of space outside at the uni sports centre and was thinking of trying to get a campus board up there but would it be better to sack that idea and get a bigger systems board. The problem with this is that although it is under cover in a shed type it is still open to the elements so not sure how well wooden holds would last. I got a quote off a welder for a 8'*4' steel frame (£180, seemed bloody expensive) so thats not an issue but how well would rungs hold up to the weather.

Thirdly does anyone have suggestions as to how to persuade route climbers who run clubs to take training seriously other than :twak: ?

Thanks for any help,

Tim

mireeves

• regular
    • markreevesclimbing
#1 System or Campus Board
April 10, 2004, 09:01:01 pm
How can you get route climbers to take training seriously?

Burn him off, and burn him off badly, walt till he is truely struggling and then do the route one handed. If you can't do that then train until you can.

Simon S

• menacing presence
#2 System or Campus Board
May 09, 2004, 04:39:01 pm
Have been in touch regarding making you a complete campus board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal