UKBouldering.com

Sheffield Referendum (Read 3569 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 02:46:14 pm
So... have I missed something? Just got a polling card sent through today. Apparently there's a referendum on how Sheff-side residents want their council to be run (Voter elected Mayor vs Councillor elected Leader). I've not heard anything about this until now. I don't feel like I have any opinion either way. Does this really matter?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#1 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 03:03:12 pm
It's irrelevant to me as I've run out of political parties that I can bring myself to vote for.

Actually, an independent mayor (as Red Ken was first time round) would be a good thing as they would only have the interests of the city (and themselves of course) to consider rather than a party political mandate.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 03:09:18 pm
Come to think of it this is a fucking brilliant idea. Let's get lagerstarfish nominated as an independent mayoral candidate.

I can already see planning permission (and lucrative council funding) granted for Sharpe Starfish & Co Ltd's first giant indoor crazy golf emporium in the Don Valley.

dave

#3 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 03:29:18 pm
They should at least call it 'Shefferendum'.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 04:25:21 pm
Top down power structures = shit idea.

I have a feeling that bringing in a sheffield version of boris will just lead to more power being focussed on one particular man(or woman, but less likely). Which even if they aren't a bumbling twat, is still a bad thing.

So none of this big-woopie-mayor shit for us. That said, i voted pain aux raisin.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 04:39:26 pm
I think you should stand for Mayor Jasper.... it has a good ring to it.. Mayor Sharpe...

You have more 'look like a vampire movie film star' gravitas (to swing the young female vote)  and Lagers might have trouble hot footing it around  kissing babies/torching rivals etc.. at the moment.  I recon Lagers would make a great campaign manager though, especially with all his filming expertise... Couple of loudhailers on the mobility scooter and youre away!

What would your three key strategies for Sheffield be?

jamiev

• regular
#6 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 05:05:18 pm
This seems as good an excuse as any to link to Toby Foster's interview with Doncaster's elected mayor on his first day in office

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#7 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:21:31 pm

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#8 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:28:09 pm
Top down power structures = shit idea.

I have a feeling that bringing in a sheffield version of boris will just lead to more power being focussed on one particular man(or woman, but less likely). Which even if they aren't a bumbling twat, is still a bad thing.

So none of this big-woopie-mayor shit for us. That said, i voted pain aux raisin.

:agree:

I was quite taken with the "elected mayor" idea, until I realized it was a tired and cynical rehash of the spoils system.

It takes away local democratic control by your own local councilors ability to influence policy in council.

(And as for this equally fatuous "cabinet" idea that Sheffield used as opposed to the committee system? - Fuck 'em.

Fuck 'em and the horse they rode in on,

Fuck 'em, the horse they rode in  on, and fuck the the shit the horses crapped into the road as they rode in.

And then fuck 'em all again.)

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:30:39 pm
excellent - saw Brewsters Millions the other night.... classic :)

dave

#10 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:41:06 pm
This seems as good an excuse as any to link to Toby Foster's interview with Doncaster's elected mayor on his first day in office

fuck me that is dymanite.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:53:47 pm

Jesus...

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#12 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 07:57:20 pm

Oh yeah.

And the elected mayor schtick means you can get saddled with an imbecile* when everyone indulges in protest politics.

(I should point out that in Hartlepool when that happened Stuart Drummond, aka the HUFC mascot "H'Angus the Monkey" got in as an independent.

He got re-elected after his first term.)

* Or a racist.

“It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving picaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness. They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in Watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.”

psychomansam

• forum hero
#13 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 11:11:17 pm

Jesus...
Democracy is not without problems. For instance, it's helpful increase education at the same time as increasing democratic responsibility.
Personally, I quite like the idea of people earning the right to vote by meeting certain educational standards, including a basic grounding in sociology, politics, religion and philosophy. This could be provided free in secondary school or at cost to anyone who needs it.
Obviously if we currently did this, we'd shell it out to G4S who would then educate everyone on the importance of giving tax money to multinational corps.
Gotta. Love. Democracy.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#14 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 28, 2012, 11:52:12 pm
me in charge, like what everyone wants

I'll even take my top off or down for power; that's how democratic I am

christ, this keyboard is difficult

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: Sheffield Referendum
March 29, 2012, 09:16:09 am
Apparently things are hotting up (no mention of this thread though).

One person to take all responsibility sounds like a bad idea to me.

Still I expect on a small fraction of those eligible will bother turning out to vote in the local elections/referendum anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal