UKBouldering.com

Does Boysen's Altrincham crag exist? (Read 7228 times)

Gritter

• menacing presence
Does Boysen's Altrincham crag exist?
March 26, 2012, 10:42:05 pm
I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck in locating this elusive spot? I was also intrigued to know if anyone had explored the Lymm dam area?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I've seen pictures of it, but it is supposedly super-banned. Not been to look for it tho

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Does Boysen's Altrincham crag exist?
March 27, 2012, 09:46:49 am
I know tris (who used to post here) spent a while sniffing around to try and find it when he moved to Altri, but had no joy...

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I know a couple of climbers from Lymm and its not there. I suspect its somewhere in the Bollin valley though. There was a post way back by someone who'd been, supposedly access is sensitive and the fragility of the rock means it would not stand increased attention.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
Tom Leppert used to tease me about this; every time I saw him he would bang on about how good it was, yet would never reveal where it was.

I bet it's rubbish...

stevej

• menacing presence
[snipped] I feel like a dick writing this and I keep deleting it and starting over.

edit: Sorry. I've bottled it and just deleted it all. Anyway, suffice to say it looks very crumbly and very sensitive
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:58:58 am by stevej »

BenF

• forum hero
I know at least one person that has been.  He reported that it was good, but very delicate.  Given the apparent access issues I've never considered looking for it or enquiring any further.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Tom Leppert used to tease me about this; every time I saw him he would bang on about how good it was, yet would never reveal where it was.

You sure they weren't on about Harmer's wood?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I can understand why folk would want to keep the location of a delicate crag secret, but why no photos to illustrate the point? The whole thing smacks of tedious myth spinning to me. My money is on it being log and only a photo will change my mind.

Gritter

• menacing presence
I agree!  We need a photo at the very least. If there are any of the chosen few out there? Wack one up, please. ;)

dave

If it's too delicate to climb on then maybe a photo is all its good for!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Simpson-esque logic from Bonjoy there! I can only imagine a photo would stimulate more interest, whether it looks good or not a lot of folk live in the area and there isn't much bouldering.

tomtom

• forum hero
Just to add to the intrigue, I will now reveal that I also have not been shown a photo of the crag, and in the photo I never saw, I recon I coudnt judge whether or not it was choss. Though it could be fantastic, and I've never been denied access to the crag I dont know exists or where it may or may not exist!

Looks like log to me.... and someone's PS'd out the Tescos next to the arch...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
It was a provocative attempt to goad someone into posting one. Which worked, but you'll have to take my word for it as it got sent via PM  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Am I worthy? Or do I have to publically call you a liar before you'll let me see it? LIAR.

tomtom

• forum hero
and is it any good - the crag in the picture...?

fried

• forum hero

Here's what happened to the last person who saw it.

clm

• forum hero
I've said this before, just float down the polling on a lilo. Get in at styal. Bound to find it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Love this whole legend and this thread.

Very off topic but interesting. I was watching a Krautrock documentary on BBC4 and there was a very good section with an interview with Michael Rother of Neu! (and ex-Kraftwerk).  The interviewer asked him what his inspiration was for the Motorik sound that was the hallmark of their music and he quoted three sources. The German Autobahn, machinery and the River Bollin in Wilmslow..... I coughed up my beer and rewound Sky+ to check I wasn't imagining things and I wasn't.  A check on t'interweb reveald that Rother lived in Wilmslow during most of his childhood. Perhaps Hallogallo is inspired by this fragile sandstone mystery?

tomtom

• forum hero
There is of course the rock faces on the garden at Quarry Bank Mill... though thats obviously highly out of bounds etc...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I was watching a Krautrock documentary on BBC4 and there was a very good section with an interview with Michael Rother of Neu! (and ex-Kraftwerk).  The interviewer asked him what his inspiration was for the Motorik sound that was the hallmark of their music and he quoted three sources. The German Autobahn, machinery and the River Bollin in Wilmslow..... I coughed up my beer and rewound Sky+ to check I wasn't imagining things and I wasn't.  A check on t'interweb reveald that Rother lived in Wilmslow during most of his childhood. Perhaps Hallogallo is inspired by this fragile sandstone mystery?

Hallogallo and River Charente Bollin

tomtom

• forum hero
Lymm Dam - looks mint... :/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I used to love that slot as a little kid. Fnarr. Rock is soft as shit though.

Gritter

• menacing presence
 Does it look any good/delicate in the pic?

tomtom

• forum hero
Log Dam might be a better description :) reminds me of Stone Farm ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal