UKBouldering.com

Sheffield beta (Read 2775 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 12:22:39 pm
Just wondered if I could tap folk for any possible useful beta with regards to a potential move to Sheffield.

On Friday I secured a place to study in September for the next two years in London but am looking into deferring this to next year for various reasons. Essentially a move to Sheffield would allow me to live relatively close to my girlfriend who has to work her compulsory dentistry VT year in Hull as well as placing me amongst friends and rock. By this coming September I'll have completed 12 months of my own compulsory training and as I wish to continue working as an architectural assistant and saving up for the move, I thought it might be worth asking you guys whether you are aware of any practices in Sheffield that are either recruiting and/ or produce good work. Also, although I know Sheffield reasonably well, I wonder what particular areas might be worth looking at with respect to reasonably priced rent/council tax.

It's a thread done to death with respect to the latter query and I'm sure I can figure something out on that but the more notes I can make the better.

As an aside, I've been thinking that as I'm now 28, is it foolish to defer the completion of my studies for yet another year or in the scheme of life does it not matter? I suppose I have lots of questions in my head and I've woken in the middle of the night several times since the offer. Some outside perspective from the wise ones would do me a lot of good I'm sure.

Sorry this reads as a counselling session as much as a rambling question!

Thanks.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 12:59:36 pm
First of all congrats man for crushing the London chance!!
On the bus now, will reply from home.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 01:51:09 pm
Can't tell you if they are recruiting but we work with both HLM and BDP offices in Sheffield, both good to work with and produce quality work.

http://www.bdp.com/Studios/UK/Sheffield/
http://www.hlmarchitects.com/contact/sheffield

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 02:03:58 pm
Follow your inspirations, stay true to yourself and what matters to you and what supports that the best.

And Sheffield is a cool place to be, simple as that.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 02:13:00 pm
brother,
I'm not wise for sure, and work wise I've taken so many wrong decisions... until I stopped thinking what could please others and started searching for what pleased me.
I think that proximity to girlfriend, rock and friends is a no brainer.
especially if you can find a practice in Sheffield. you are young and there is no rush: I am sure that they'll take you next year in London.
by the way, in London is it Uni or an architect practice?
if it's the latter maybe you can try and search for some compromise, like doing one week a month, or three days a week or the likes.
I would try to know as much as I could about every aspect of the London move, and about the people you'd work for.
in my experiences, there are never simple jobs, there are persons. had I known the persons behind some jobs before, I wouldn't even have applied.
I say: find a practice in Sheffield and move there.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 03:02:16 pm
I thought it might be worth asking you guys whether you are aware of any practices in Sheffield that are either recruiting and/ or produce good work.

Clearly the construction sector is under the cosh but the architects who are in my building are busy so if you email me a copy of your CV I will forward it to them.

Also mailshoting companies with a letter to the Staff or Managing Partner (yes by post  :o ) highlighting your experience and capabilities can yield good results especially if followed up with a phone call. Again I can help with your letter to maximise its impact if you choose to do this and a short script for the follow-up call.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Sheffield beta
March 26, 2012, 03:45:12 pm
I've two friends who worked for BDP (both self-employed contractors).  In the past year they've cut staff back by about 50% (not just contractors either). One has just started back there (again contracting), he's not sure how long it will be though.

Monolith

• forum hero
#7 Re: Sheffield beta
March 27, 2012, 12:31:03 pm
Really, thank you guys for your advice and information. It's a genuine big decision time at the moment and I feel a degree of apprehension towards whatever happens. I've spent a long time in university and although I love academia, perhaps another year of saving and climbing (something that's fallen seriously by the wayside) would be as close to the missing gap year that I never took.

Shark, I really appreciate your kind offer and I'll pm you.

Thanks all.

BenF

• forum hero
#8 Re: Sheffield beta
March 27, 2012, 12:49:36 pm
Don't move to London Tom.   :o  It's fucking miles away and has no climbing.  Also as Nibile said, proximity to girlfriend is very important, perhaps as important as proximity to climbing.  ;)

Xan

• regular
#9 Re: Sheffield beta
March 27, 2012, 11:34:14 pm
Are you Part 1 or Part 2? I've not had any luck with Part 1 placements here - though I've been picky about what counts as a decent practice - but there might be more Part 2 jobs available... Most people who graduated with me went to London  :( Seems like there some things here already that you can follow up though. Good luck!

Monolith

• forum hero
#10 Re: Sheffield beta
March 28, 2012, 12:30:05 pm
Part I exempt and currently on year in practice Xan.

When you say 'here', are you based in the UK? I might be able to offer you some London contacts if you're still looking. I could speak with some friends as none of them have struggled for work in the capital.

I understand your desire to go to a 'decent' practice but I suppose my experience of trying to find anywhere hiring in the north was so tough that I was fortunate enough to get an offer at all of work. It's been an amazing year so far and though I'm not working on projects that greatly stimulate me, I've been able to get a lot of site experience and a fair amount of responsibility at the concept and specification stages. Also, it's great to be clocking up the PEDR miles that are mandatory to sit the Part III exam.

Ben, I hear you but I'd be a fool to turn down the offer on the table. Being a fool in any event, surely one can't lose!?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal