UKBouldering.com

Lundy within bird bans? (Read 1369 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Lundy within bird bans?
March 23, 2012, 04:59:25 pm
Given the way the various bank holidays fall this year I got it into my head that I might use one or two of them to link up a week on Lundy. However, a friend rightly informed me that a lot of the island is subject to bird bans.

My question is, would it be a mistake to go in this period? Flicking through the guide I rapidly found lots of shots showing routes that looked amazing, about 2/3rds of these seemed to be bird banned yet the mega classics all seem to be outside of this. I've heard mixed opinions ranging from it'd be better later on in the year to its great, the island is nearly deserted. Which is it, obviously it isn't the cheapest destination and I can't see (given the limited amount of trad I've done in the UK) that I'd be back anytime in the immediate future?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Lundy within bird bans?
March 23, 2012, 05:48:00 pm
I've only been to Lundy once, post-ban.  I'd go again during the banned season.  There is less to do but still plenty to do.  As trips to Lundy are rare events for most people, I'd take any opportunity that presents. 

luckyjez

• addict
#2 Re: Lundy within bird bans?
March 26, 2012, 01:16:46 pm
I'd certainly go anytime - absolutely amazing.
You're more likely to be limited by seepage and run-off than birds.
If it's been dry-ish for a while before you go, you will still have an amazing choice to go at - I could bore you with suggestions if I had my guidebook in front of me.........

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#3 Re: Lundy within bird bans?
March 26, 2012, 01:54:17 pm
I've only been to Lundy once, post-ban.  I'd go again during the banned season.  There is less to do but still plenty to do.  As trips to Lundy are rare events for most people, I'd take any opportunity that presents.

:agree:

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lundy within bird bans?
March 26, 2012, 07:26:56 pm
Thanks all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal