try harder

How's this:

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#26 Re: Deadlifting
March 05, 2012, 08:29:13 pm
Tried deadlifting last night at the gym and after a warm up managed 3 x 120kg. Interestingly it was my failing grip that was the limiting factor, not my body strength, though I had been bouldering earlier!
it seems a lot for a beginner. how tall are you and how much do you weigh?
if you don't mind answering, obviously.

I'm about 79kg and 5' 10" but to be honest I have to admit to a mis-spent youth as a body builder so I know my way around a gym (Was 20 years ago tho  :whistle:).

Dr T

• forum hero
#27 Re: Deadlifting
March 05, 2012, 10:53:32 pm
This tread has got me interested - seems to be working for my dodgy back (had a L5-S1 discectomy a few years back)
Trouble is I'm straight up to just under body weight and run out of weight - I've done some searching but wondered if anyone here has a lead on some cheap plate weights.....

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#28 Re: Deadlifting
March 05, 2012, 11:16:36 pm

I've done some searching but wondered if anyone here has a lead on some cheap plate weights.....

Unless you get lucky on ebay Decathlon is as cheap as anywhere

Dr T

• forum hero
#29 Re: Deadlifting
March 06, 2012, 07:43:00 am
Hadn't thought of them - always forget they exist in the uk.....
cheers

rodma

• forum hero
#30 Re: Deadlifting
March 06, 2012, 08:51:46 am
We got luck at the community recycling centre (the dump) and pulled some 10kg discs out of the metal recycling skip which was a pretty big yyfy, maybe worth checking out (thought about checking the local scrappy). Car boot sales are an almost dead cert for cheap secondhand iron discs  :smart:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#31 Re: Deadlifting
March 06, 2012, 10:00:33 pm
Inspired by this thread and having a bar but no weights I constructed the below contraption. I only put 15kg of rocks in each tub but it appeared to work, just about. I am Mr Weakback so I think it'll be a good starting point.

My main concern was to get in done before my wife noticed what I was doing and said something disparaging..

JamesR

• regular
#32 Re: Deadlifting
March 06, 2012, 10:37:04 pm
Here is a good guide on dead lifting, with video and all that....

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-deadlift-deadlifting-techniques

My tip would be start really light and build good technique before going heavy, play the long game.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#33 Re: Deadlifting
March 07, 2012, 10:42:04 am
Inspired by this thread and having a bar but no weights I constructed the below contraption. I only put 15kg of rocks in each tub but it appeared to work, just about. I am Mr Weakback so I think it'll be a good starting point.

My main concern was to get in done before my wife noticed what I was doing and said something disparaging..

Effort. But looks unstable and unbalanced. I am also Mr ex-Weakbeak. Probably better to do bodyweight exercises. Pistols and dishes (lying down and holding legs out straight just above the floor) are my favourites for legs and core and you can do them pretty much anywhere anytime. Won't work you in quite the same way as deadlifting does. 

erm, sam

• forum hero
#34 Re: Deadlifting
March 07, 2012, 04:08:13 pm
Yes definatly a tad unstable. with a little more rope work I think it would be doable for lower weights though. I shall hopefully be borrowing some weights from the same person I borrowed the bar from, so it is only a temporary measure. And to my suprise my back feels fine today!

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#35 Re: Deadlifting
March 07, 2012, 04:15:50 pm
just borrow more rocks and buckets from the person you borrowed the string from.  :shrug:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#36 Re: Deadlifting
March 07, 2012, 04:50:39 pm
it seems that I started the thread, yet I'm only one who hasn't started deadlifing...

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#37 Re: Deadlifting
March 07, 2012, 05:39:07 pm
it seems that I started the thread, yet I'm only one who hasn't started deadlifing...

If it makes you feel anybetter, I've only tried it once so far!  :)

Gonna' have another go on Friday after work. Will stay at 120kg max though. No point in pushing too hard and buggering myself up. Plan to take Serpico's advice and stick with the over-hand grip to try to increase climbing grip strength tho'.

Stubbs

#38 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 08:46:18 am
After always thinking that I had a bit of a weak lower back, I had a crack at some of this picking stuff up after a bouldering session last night.  I started with just the bar and worked up to 5 reps @ 1.5 BW.

I guess my question is am I likely to see any climbing benefits doing a period of deadlifting?  This little test run would seem to show that my lower back isn't a weak point, and my time could be better spent elsewhere?

It's definitely a lot of fun though - I can see why people get really into it!

rodma

• forum hero
#39 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 09:11:06 am
I guess my question is am I likely to see any climbing benefits doing a period of deadlifting?  This little test run would seem to show that my lower back isn't a weak point, and my time could be better spent elsewhere?

This really is the big prob with any sort of training. What addresses one persons weaknesses is unlikely to work for everyone else.

The good thing with weights however, is even if you find it quite easy, is that it is a simple way to do a lot of work in a short period of time. Even when I have done exercises that did not address any specific physical weakness, it did improve my ability to perform several hard moves in a row (enough for a boulder problem anyway)

saltbeef

• forum hero
#40 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 09:20:30 am
After always thinking that I had a bit of a weak lower back, I had a crack at some of this picking stuff up after a bouldering session last night.  I started with just the bar and worked up to 5 reps @ 1.5 BW.

It's definitely a lot of fun though - I can see why people get really into it!

i did exactly the same thing on sunday, but was too lazy to post it!

Stubbs

#41 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 09:23:03 am
Deadlifting: it's the new weightvest!

Cheers Rodma, no there's a gym at the wall there's no excuse not to do a session once a week or so and see what the results are like.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#42 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 11:49:41 am
Rather than establish any specific link with climbing improvement (although Serps and Shark will both attest to improved undercutting and body tension) these things are more about work capacity, strength, overall physical preparedness and injury proofing. 

The 10 or 12 tonne challenge is good. (10 x 10 x (100kg or 120kg)) with perfect form done for time with no short strokes.  Prepare for Buttock DOMS though :-)

I've not put any weight on since lifting so I wouldn't worry about that.  When I was doing a session or two week my fat% shot down dramatically.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#43 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 12:37:14 pm
I'm quite sure that body tension and ability to bear high training volumes and intensity will benefit. It's a bit like training to be more prepared to train. And moreover, if a problem spits you off, you can rip the plywood from the wall or tilt the boulder upside down.

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#44 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 01:00:59 pm
The other advantage/ theory is that training major muscle groups gives a hormonal training effect that potentially transfers to other muscle groups that are under training stimuli (upper arms, forearms, tendons etc, all good for climbing!)

The only deadlifting I've ever done was a month or so ago, after which I went straight to the works for a session on the motherboard, expecting to feel really tired.

In fact it was the opposite, my core felt fully engaged and I probably had one of the best sessions on there ever due to my feet staying put on the small footholds. Basically climbing feels easy compared to power lifting and makes me think non of us are trying hard enough when climbing!!!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#45 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 01:05:00 pm
The other advantage/ theory is that training major muscle groups gives a hormonal training effect that potentially transfers to other muscle groups that are under training stimuli (upper arms, forearms, tendons etc, all good for climbing!)

The only deadlifting I've ever done was a month or so ago, after which I went straight to the works for a session on the motherboard, expecting to feel really tired.

In fact it was the opposite, my core felt fully engaged and I probably had one of the best sessions on there ever due to my feet staying put on the small footholds. Basically climbing feels easy compared to power lifting and makes me think non of us are trying hard enough when climbing!!!
Yes, many studies demonstrate this. I especially read one about two groups, one just doing bicep curls and one doing bicep curls AND squat. Guess in which one each athlete had had bigger bicep gains?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#46 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 01:38:26 pm
Guess in which one each athlete had had bigger bicep gains?
Those who ate more food?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#47 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 02:01:51 pm
 :lol:

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#48 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 02:02:27 pm

I felt really strong (as good as I've ever felt) last night at the wall after doing dead lifts on Wed night (3 x 50kg as a warm up and to "lock in" good technique/posture and then 3 x 130kg).

Didn't last very long tho'.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:08:41 pm by gremlin »

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#49 Re: Deadlifting
March 09, 2012, 02:04:25 pm
Guess in which one each athlete had had bigger bicep gains?
Those who ate more food?
nope, those grew bigger bellies.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal