UKBouldering.com

Deadlifting (Read 241839 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#75 Re: Deadlifting
March 18, 2012, 08:40:54 am
Gremlin, I will go at 5 reps for the warm ups, then 3, then 1 when close to my max.
Ps. For having not started yet, I have a pretty good plan... :-[ talk is cheap indeed!  :guilty:

mark s

• junky
#76 Re: Deadlifting
March 19, 2012, 07:06:41 pm
i did some tonight,started at 60,100,140,180 then went for a 200.it didnt happen.felt like my stomach was going to burst as i couldnt be arsed to walk to other end of gym to get a belt.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#77 Re: Deadlifting
March 19, 2012, 08:03:39 pm
Imppresive! Be careful tho. When I was younger I gave myself an Hiatus Hernia doing too heavy a weight. This is where the stomach muscle splits and the intestines push up under the skin of the stomach!  :ohmy:

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#78 Deadlifting
March 29, 2012, 10:55:30 pm
Right never tried this before (never been into weights much).
Dug out my old weights from Ma and Pa's shed this eve (annoyingly all in Lbs).
Tried to deadlift my BW (77kg).
3sets of 10.
Was surprisingly easy.
I can't get much more on this bar (it's a set I used to use for shoulder press and curls, not power lifting).
Am I going to get much benefit from simply doing a few reps per week at this weight?
Considering, I can also clean and jerk it and manage 3x10 reps Mill press at the same weight?

Does feel good though, doesn't it?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#79 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 12:01:55 am
Try 3 sets of 12 if you looking for body tension for routes(endurance). 

Another idea, probably a bad one, that I had was to try them one legged.  Alot of the strength is generated out of the hamstring, so using one leg would put all the focus on the one leg.  This also seemed to me to be more specific to climbing as generating body tension out of one leg is common. 

I'm confident the likelihood of injury increases by an order of magnitude though. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#80 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 09:13:40 am
Try 3 sets of 12 if you looking for body tension for routes(endurance). 

Another idea, probably a bad one, that I had was to try them one legged.  Alot of the strength is generated out of the hamstring, so using one leg would put all the focus on the one leg.  This also seemed to me to be more specific to climbing as generating body tension out of one leg is common. 

I'm confident the likelihood of injury increases by an order of magnitude though.

I would be wary of doing deadlifts as an endurance exercise as form could be compromised leading to back injuries. Doing them one legged sounds interesting - like an advanced form of pistol squats.

rodma

• forum hero
#81 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 11:51:59 am
Have done a bit of 1-legged, but had to use very light weight. It puts an impressive amount of load through the hamstring, even if you just "mime" the exercise with no weight.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#82 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 03:47:21 pm
Have done a bit of 1-legged, but had to use very light weight. It puts an impressive amount of load through the hamstring, even if you just "mime" the exercise with no weight.

It makes alot of sense.  If you can to 1x bodyweight on two legs, then just body weight on one is the same effort. plus all the stabilazation effort.  Maybe I'll add this to my body weight only regime..... 

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#83 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 04:08:59 pm
Doing them 1 legged is a good move for hamstrings, as a romanian or stiff legged deadlift, using a dumbbell in each hand rather than a barbell would be easier, but you can't go that heavy this way, more of a higher rep exercise.

There is also an interesting move called a 'suitcase deadlift' which is basically a one arm deadlift picking up a dumbbell or barbell at your side, great for core and can go fairly heavy.

But neither of these are as good for pulling power and strength as a conventional floor deadlift, so I'd just stick with them IMO.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#84 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 04:19:44 pm
If you can to 1x bodyweight on two legs, then just body weight on one is the same effort.
shouldn't it be 2xbodyweight on two legs = bodyweight on one?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#85 Re: Deadlifting
March 30, 2012, 04:28:00 pm
If you can to 1x bodyweight on two legs, then just body weight on one is the same effort.
shouldn't it be 2xbodyweight on two legs = bodyweight on one?
That was written poorly, and is confusing.

When I see 2x body weight I think of lifting a bar/weights that weighs 2x their body. 

For example, my deadlift max is about 355lbs (160kgish), and I weigh about 175-180lbs(80-82kgs).  So I can do 2x bodyweight.  The reason is that you're not actually lifting a large portion of your bodyweight.  Your legs are standing on the ground and not being moved during the lift.

Beegsyboy

• regular
#86 Re: Deadlifting
April 01, 2012, 04:27:50 pm
Quick question: Whats the thinking on dropping/lowering? I can lower fine on my warm ups, keeping good form. But on my proper lifts have taken to dropping the bar as it feels tweaky trying to lower in control.
Sorry if this question is obvious??

mark s

• junky
#87 Re: Deadlifting
April 01, 2012, 05:20:01 pm
Quick question: Whats the thinking on dropping/lowering? I can lower fine on my warm ups, keeping good form. But on my proper lifts have taken to dropping the bar as it feels tweaky trying to lower in control.
Sorry if this question is obvious??

put less weight on

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#88 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 12:25:36 pm
I lower the bar at the same tempo as lifting it, dropping the bar is only half a rep and would probably get me kicked out of the gym!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#89 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 12:29:48 pm
From what I've read, one should reverse the same technique of the lift. Feels tricky though, especially to keep the back straight.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#90 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 10:19:35 pm
If you are able to lower the bar you're miles off your 1RM.  Dropping is the only option when near your max lift.  Obviously this is difficult in gyms where it's frowned upon so doing 3-5 reps lowering the bar is a good alternative.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#91 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 11:02:43 pm
If you are able to lower the bar you're miles off your 1RM.  Dropping is the only option when near your max lift. 

:-\ I've never dropped it but I'm certain this hasn't held me back after all I would have to drop it if there was no alternative.

Generally the negative action is usually easier no ? The reverse part of a pull-up is easier which is why people can do harder (controlled) negatives ie with one arm.   

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#92 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 11:09:45 pm
If you are able to lower the bar you're miles off your 1RM.  Dropping is the only option when near your max lift. 

:-\ I've never dropped it but I'm certain this hasn't held me back after all I would have to drop it if there was no alternative. The negative action is usually easier no ? The reverse part of a pull-up is easier which is why people can do harder negatives ie with one arm.

Yes and no.  For power lifters maxing out their 1 round max, it's a fairly explosive lift off the ground using your legs.  It's much harder to use that leg power going down.

For most general blokes, I wouldn't recommend using that explosive leg power as it takes VERY good coordination/technique to not hurt yourself.  As such, most of us probably aren't really hitting our true 1RM. 

That said, if you're doing it for climbing training then control and doing the negatives is equally important, and in response to the original question.  Are you lifting to get lift heavier weights or to get better at climbing?  If the latter, then I'd say drop the weight and stay controlled through the whole motion.

Duma

• forum hero
#93 Re: Deadlifting
April 02, 2012, 11:47:09 pm
If the latter, then I'd say drop the weight and stay controlled through the whole motion.
Assume that in this case, and for clarity given the rest of the discussion, drop=reduce?

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#94 Re: Deadlifting
April 03, 2012, 12:10:09 am
You can't lower the bar after a true 1RM; that's why the negative is not required in powerlifting/strongman comps.

Imagine finding a tiny campus edge that you can only just manage to hang. After a few sessions of hanging it, you somehow manage to pull slowly up into a locked position. Abs are locked, you're staring at your fingers, shaking like a drunk on the pub steps at 9am, and hoping like hell that a tendon doesn't explode. At the top of the pull, you just know that if you try to reverse you'll be icing your pulleys for weeks.

The deadlift is similar. There is so much fine control required to avoid exploding/collapsing/herniating that a heavy lift is one way only. Once you get your system in 'balance' (you are probably saying 'uuunnnghhggaaahhhh!') at the top of the lift, there is no way you could break the position safely.

I think the ability to train max power with minimal reps could really handy for climbers, but learning to do it safely is probably too much of a distraction and a risk if you're training enough to climb hard. I'd agree with the points/concliusions above. Lower weights and the bar unless you know how and why you want to train heavier.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#95 Re: Deadlifting
April 03, 2012, 01:28:54 am
If the latter, then I'd say drop the weight and stay controlled through the whole motion.
Assume that in this case, and for clarity given the rest of the discussion, drop=reduce?

Correct. Sorry about the wording.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#96 Re: Deadlifting
April 03, 2012, 05:21:27 pm

Depends on the individual, I've always controlled the negative when doing them, so as my 1RM has increased then so has my ability to lower the same weight. It's my grip that's stopping me going heavier at the moment (as I don't use straps), failing lifting off the floor.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#97 Re: Deadlifting
April 03, 2012, 05:31:41 pm
that's why the negative is not required in powerlifting/strongman comps.

It is one of the rules in Powerlifting comps, bar must be lowered to the floor in control with both hands. Could be different in certain strongman events though.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#98 Re: Deadlifting
April 03, 2012, 05:37:57 pm
that's why the negative is not required in powerlifting/strongman comps.

It is one of the rules in Powerlifting comps, bar must be lowered to the floor in control with both hands. Could be different in certain strongman events though.

Apologies; slap duly self-administered for inaccuracy and poor fact-checking.

I would definitely struggle to lower my heaviest lifts (although I do lower the vast majority of my lifts when training), and have never hit the point where grip is the weak link. Guess I should try harder on both counts...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#99 Re: Deadlifting
April 12, 2012, 07:44:10 pm
so I finally did my first deadlifting session.
in the morning I had fingerboarded, and given that I have trained almost every day in the last weeks, today I fancied something different, so I went to the gym.
I had great fun but took it far too seriously as usual, and perhaps also a bit too far.
tried to adjust position in the first sets, but I think my hips were too low, and my legs were not  feeling good. I also have to say that the weights are not the official ones, and being only 10 kilos they are pretty small, so the bar was very close to the ground.
as soon as I switched to 20 kilos weights and I kept my hips higer, everything felt better.
I found that with higher hips I can have my back more straight, but of course I couldn't check in the mirror.
now I feel really worked, especially my lower back, so I was wondering if I did it properly.
anyway for sure it's a great workout. more to come for sure, but I can't see me doing more than one lifting session per week. probably for now one every two weeks is fine.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal