lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#100 Re: Deadlifting
April 12, 2012, 07:49:16 pm
I was wondering if I did it properly.

No

you have failed to post the maximum amount you lifted and say how that amount relates to your body weight

:spank:

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#101 Re: Deadlifting
April 12, 2012, 07:54:19 pm
 ;D fair enough.
I did one lift with 110 kg, weight 65. so it's 1,7 my bodyweight, I think.
deadlifting is a bit scary.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#102 Re: Deadlifting
April 12, 2012, 10:20:40 pm
you have done it properly now  :2thumbsup:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#103 Re: Deadlifting
April 14, 2012, 09:26:45 am
I have watched a few vids, and I think that I could have done the lifts starting with my hips too high.
when I tried to start with lower hips, my belly seemed to explode and nothing seemed right in my legs and groin. with high hips, I did all the lifts first go and it seemed to me that my back was much straighter.
I found it much easier to drive the weight up by straightening my spine with some help from the legs.
I definitely would like to videotape me but I have had already my share of weird glances in the gym the other night, don't want to seem a moron.
maybe a demonstrative video at home.
any advice?

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#104 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 04:04:31 pm
There are two different deadlifts you can do: Straight leg deadlift(romanian), or bent leg deadlifts. 

Straight leg deadlifts are just like they sound.  You keep the legs straight, bend over and pick up the weight using almost all your lower back. 

Bent leg deadlifts start with the legs bent to almost a full squat and the back straight but leaned over to about a 45 degree angle.  You start the lift out of the legs and finish by extending the back to an upright position. 

They target different muscles, so which one you do is mostly personal preference.  Many people will say the romanian deadlifts are more likely to hurt your back.  I haven't found that to be the case.  I generally do a mix of the two over a training cycle.

Seb

• addict
#105 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 04:22:07 pm
Had my first deadlift sesson in years a few days ago. Crazy bum and lower back DOMS today. Managed 120Kg but thats only 1.6* body weight so not that great. Its hard to tell if mu lower back is set correctly, does any one have any tips on that?

b3n99

• stalker
#106 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 04:29:09 pm
Following this thread it seems like deadlifting has been taken onto many peoples training plans (so there must be somethign right with it) but i can't help to think there must be much more directly related and more easily transferable training methods for climbing. Am i wrong or is deadlifting just for the challenge?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#107 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 04:50:25 pm
Following this thread it seems like deadlifting has been taken onto many peoples training plans (so there must be somethign right with it) but i can't help to think there must be much more directly related and more easily transferable training methods for climbing. Am i wrong or is deadlifting just for the challenge?

The deadlift action is all about transmiting power through the core and legs and most transferable to climbing for moves where  you stand up with difficuly on a move especially if using an undercut and on overhanging rock. Most will have a weak link in this chain and deadlifting is a very efficient/aggressive way to shock/stimulate the system. So yes, the short answer is that it is just for the challenge   ;D

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#108 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 04:52:10 pm
Its hard to tell if mu lower back is set correctly, does any one have any tips on that?

This is the video I refer to:

rodma

• forum hero
#109 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 05:09:02 pm

By golly you're right, you ought to patent some form of say,.......board that you could hang off to target your grip; you'd probably want to hang off it with just your fingers. I doubt it will catch on though  :P

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#110 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 05:45:17 pm
of course it's a challenge in itself, but like fingerboarding or one armers.
it's power.
I think (am sure) that all the climbers who lift also train more specifically on boards, walls, fingerboards and the like. deadlifting is a plus, works your core and whole body power, while also stimulating a lot testosterone secretion, so that all the other training can benefit from that.

edit: it's also very good to change the training and shock your body avoiding adaptation.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#111 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 05:47:24 pm
regarding hips height, I also was wondering if I were doing romanian. my legs weren't straight though. I could have been somewhere in the middle.
will try an videotape me next time.
Shark, thanks for the video. I knew it already but it's always good to have a reminder.

b3n99

• stalker
#112 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 05:55:52 pm
OK i see how that works, definitely interesting to attack a weakness in such a different way. Seems like a lot of training possibilities used up on a small area of weakness to me but this is probably as I have no experience of how gains can transfer. Interested to see how people find it through a phase of this.

rodma

• forum hero
#113 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 06:25:14 pm
Seems like a lot of training possibilities used up on a small area of weakness to me but this is probably as I have no experience of how gains can transfer. Interested to see how people find it through a phase of this.

If it is a small area of weakness for you, then the rewards would be smaller for you. Deadlifting helped me a lot, but my lower back was a lot weaker than i thought. fingerboarding and campussing helped me a lot, but I couldn't one-arm a small edge.

Lots of climbers mistakingly think they have strong fingers and/or shoulders but cannot one-arm a small edge, yet their inability to do this doesn't get rid of their belief. For instance, I have almost always been able to do a front lever (well, for the last 15 years anyway), so therefore i must have a strong core. When the physio told me otherwise, I just laughed at them, they haven't seen me climb after all. My core is genuinely as weak as weak could be, but it took trying some simple pilates exercises (which overweight, out of shape women could do with relative ease compared to me) to make me realise the truth.

Deadlifting may not be for everyone and I'm not necessarily advocating its use in place of other training, or for everyone, but it can pay dividends.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#114 Re: Deadlifting
April 16, 2012, 10:32:55 pm
Just noticed this thread having been the gym today and had my first attempts at deadlifting!

I have recently attempted two horizontal problems which require a lot of body tension, strong fingers and strong biceps and thought back to Shark talking about deadlifting a long time ago being good for body tension and pressing through your feet?

I'm going to give it a go a couple of times a week for a month and see if it helps with progress alongside some more climbing specific training at the wall on undercuts/crimps in a roof and getting spanned out on small footholds...etc

Wondering what the best routine/progression would be for a tall weakling.

Today's session was a bit of a mix with lots of benching/shoulder press and bicep curls to start with and then the deadlifting after. Should I keep them as seperate sessions or what?

I am 6ft 2 and 70kg wet through. Did sets of 5 reps on 60/80/100 ok but did notice I was very light headed on the 100kg reps and had to sit down after doing each set! Wondering if you can have the belt too tight so it acts like a corset or is this normal for someone with a long body and very weak legs. May have overdone the earlier exercises before beginning the deadlifting as the drop sets on the bicep curls killed!  :-\

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#115 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 04:59:05 pm
@nibile - hips should stay higher than the knees, how much the knees bend is different for each individuals leg/arm length, just make sure you keep your head up and back flat.

These links may help if you're not sure which version your doing:

Regular deadlift:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

Romanian deadlift:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/RomanianDeadlift.html

Stiff legged deadlift (similar to Romanian but legs stay straight):

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBStiffLegDeadlift.html

and one to try for those who have abnormally long legs and short arms, Sumo deadlift which has a wider stance and you pull the bar between the legs:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBSumoDeadlift.html

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#116 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 07:15:57 pm
Cheers Dave!!! For sure I was doing Romanian. I thought that Romanian was with straight legs.
I felt definitely better doing the Romanian than the normal, which seemed to put under too much effort my knees and groin, and cause a bigger abdominal pressure. Will try to perfect the technique next time instead of trying to add weight.
The problem in the only time I've done it, was that as I entered the gym I thought I have to lift at least 100. Then I wanted to get 130 but got scared. Didn't want to get injured. And still don't want to.
Many thanks.

Ps. Any opinion about normal lift vs Romanian?

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#117 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 07:43:23 pm
I had no idea people did anything other than regular deadlifts.  The last two seem to be basically what it tells you never to do on all those health and safety manual handling posters.  Am I missing a subtle difference, or is the standard advice to not lift with your back just based on most people not having strong backs?  Do people who do both these methods use lower weights when doing Romanians?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#118 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 07:46:34 pm
I think the main problem when lifting in normal life is that you often pick up things from the floor, so from much lower. And that one tends to bend the spine and look down, while the key for deadlifts is straight back and head up.
I think.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#119 Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 08:51:17 pm
I had no idea people did anything other than regular deadlifts.  The last two seem to be basically what it tells you never to do on all those health and safety manual handling posters.  Am I missing a subtle difference, or is the standard advice to not lift with your back just based on most people not having strong backs?  Do people who do both these methods use lower weights when doing Romanians?

Speaking as a back martyr...

Stick to the basic.

Until you are very confident in your back strength, at least.

Better doing dorsal raises (with weights, as you progress), to improve the lower back strength.

A herniated disc is for life, not just for Christmas...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#120 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 10:59:44 pm
Speaking as a back martyr...

Stick to the basic.

Until you are very confident in your back strength, at least.

Better doing dorsal raises (with weights, as you progress), to improve the lower back strength.

A herniated disc is for life, not just for Christmas...
:agree:

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#121 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 11:16:47 pm
Romanian deadlifting - the name is so coool and now I know its officially dangerous I want to bust some out even more - an exercise that's so badass its going to break you or make you invincible. Time to break out the Rocky IV video. What are they again ?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#122 Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 11:21:25 pm
Uh, Si, you been to Romania lately?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#123 Re: Deadlifting
April 17, 2012, 11:55:49 pm
Uh, Si, you been to Romania lately?

My imaginings are locked on the Cold War - behind the Iron Curtain old skool Olmpic weighlifters with mad scientist coaches beasting them with 24/7 training schedules :whip:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#124 Re: Deadlifting
April 18, 2012, 06:12:56 am
What are you two trying to do? Getting me even more psyxhed?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal