UKBouldering.com

Protein? (Read 12087 times)

gollum

• obsessive maniac
Protein?
March 01, 2012, 11:07:40 pm
In a hypertrophy phase the body requires about one gram per kilo body weight to build muscle, but does it need or benefit from additional protein in a recruitment phase?

Answers on a postcard. :-\

psychomansam

• forum hero
#1 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 08:03:32 am
I'm gonna ignore the long words. Studies show that protein before exercise is more effective for recovery than protein after. Whether this is effecting the exercise as well and then the recovery as well, or just setting up for the recovery, I don't know, but it doesn't really matter. If you're taking on extra protein, have some before and perhaps some more after. Problem solved.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 09:23:53 am
I am quite sure that one gram per kilo is not enough for hypertrophy. It's generally 1,5 or even 2 grams per kilo.
From what I know, the excess of protein is transformed into fat 20 times less than the excess of carbs. So, there's no point in stressing about too much proteins.
The problem is that it's difficult to get lean, fat free proteins in normal food. I weigh 65 kg, my muscle mass could be around 50 kg, so 100 grams of proteins a day equals more or less to half a kilo if not more of chicken breast or turkey, otherwise I'll be getting a lot of fats also.
Well, I eat a lot, but half a kilo of roasted chicken breast every day would be boring. That's why I prefer to take supplements. And I still eat a lot.
Sorry, this is a bit off topic.
I think that one gram is the least you should get. Recruitment training is stressful for muscles.
Anyway I was advised to take aminoacids before and after the workout. Before, they help performance, after they help recovery.
This is a totally non scientific knowledge, just personal experience.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 10:19:34 am
Do you need significant amounts of protein in your system if you are only seeking hypertrophy of small muscles such as the finger flexors through, say, fingerboard work?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:17:15 am

Article here:

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/Nutrition_for_Bouldering_169.html

I've never felt the need or inclination to take supplements

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#5 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:19:16 am
I don't know how much muscles are involved in fingerboarding, but I can imagine that the amount of protein required would be minimal.
on another hand, I don't know why seeking hypertrophy in this case.
fingerboarding is an isometric effort and I don't know how hypertrphy relates to it. I saw my forearms grow when I started diong lots and lots of curls as an elbow and fingers rehab.

Paulos

#6 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:37:08 am
Agreed, no need to get carried away with protein intake. Too much protein is bad for you

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:50:24 am
True, and the right amount is good for you.

Nibile, I think there is evidence that isometric contractions stimulate hypertrophy. Although yeah probably not as much as concentric/eccentric. And it's almost certainly different for different people.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 12:54:14 pm
There's nothing wrong with fats (that aren't saturated) Nibs.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#9 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 02:13:59 pm
I certainly notice protein before a session helps. Ive a habit of having a tin of mackeral on my way to a wall/board session. I used to do the powder thing straight after, only really to help recovery and prevent injury... definately helped recovery, but nothing that a good feed wouldnt do just as well. I think a lot of people do struggle to consume enough protein especially with 'todays' dietry habits, so cant be a bad thing to make sure your keeping a constant supply 'on the go'.  A lot does have to be said for a regulalr small intake of powder shakes I think, all those essential amino acids and such like... technically diet stuff.. blag blag.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 03:03:34 pm
There's nothing wrong with fats (that aren't saturated) Nibs.

saturated fat in moderation has its benefits too

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#11 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 05:54:58 pm
I think a lot of people do struggle to consume enough protein especially with 'todays' dietry habits, so cant be a bad thing to make sure your keeping a constant supply 'on the go'. 

I doubt this, to be honest, I would have said that today's dietry habits tend towards an excessive fixation on protein consumption for the general popualtion. Witness stuff like those Holland and Barrett adverts with a load of blokes playing sunday 5-a-side and scarfing down 100% whey bulk up shakes.
I do not doubt that intense training for climbing requires elevated protein intake, but I think that the advantage of supplements is primarily in their convenience for ingestion at the optimum time, rather than total dietry intake (in most cases).

psychomansam

• forum hero
#12 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 07:06:42 pm
  A lot does have to be said for a regulalr small intake of powder shakes I think, all those essential amino acids and such like... technically diet stuff.. blag blag.

Yes, a lot has to be said. It's called marketing bullshit.

For general recovery, skimmed chocolate milk has been shown (Two studies, which i've linked before on here somewhere) to be better than any of the recovery shakes. Why? Because it has the right mix of protein/carbs, and because we'll probably never make a protein formula more advanced than milk, which evolution has designed to make mammals grow.

And if you want to add something to your highly advanced skimmed milk/carb mix to fortify it with extra protein, allow me to recommend the two most advanced products out there:

Milk powders contain all twenty-one standard amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, and are high in soluble vitamins and minerals.[6] According to USAID,[7] the typical average amounts of major nutrients in the unreconstituted nonfat dry milk are (by weight) 36% protein, 52% carbohydrates (predominantly lactose), calcium 1.3%, potassium 1.8%.

The white of a large egg, or about 1-1/4 ounces, has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.

Just to be clear, I'm not denying that shakes have an element of convenience (I use gels and powders for running sometimes). I just object to people being lied to with false SCIENCE in the marketing. I'm not a hippy, or even a wonderfully healthy eater, but the natural stuff is just better for you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 07:12:36 pm by psychomansam »

mark s

• junky
#13 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 09:18:19 pm
  A lot does have to be said for a regulalr small intake of powder shakes I think, all those essential amino acids and such like... technically diet stuff.. blag blag.

Yes, a lot has to be said. It's called marketing bullshit.

i agree ,there is a lot of bullshit out there. i know which supplements work but you wont buy them in any shops.i have had "real" supplements and wouldnt buy any of the others.

as for shakes,it comes down to quick easy protein.i consider them easier than having  a protien meal.i wouldnt go near them if i had the time or money to eat turkey all day,earlier this year i ran out of protein and thought id try without.i lost about 3 or 4lb in a few weeks.

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#14 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:41:45 pm

For general recovery, skimmed chocolate milk has been shown (Two studies, which i've linked before on here somewhere) to be better than any of the recovery shakes. Why? Because it has the right mix of protein/carbs, and because we'll probably never make a protein formula more advanced than milk, which evolution has designed to make mammals grow.

What would you suggest for a lactose intolerant mammal?  My current usual post-climb munch is a hunza nut mule bar (even though I suspect there is no such thing as a hunzanut), a banana and one of those love bars from prat a minger.  With a proper meal an hour or two later when I get home.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#15 Re: Protein?
March 02, 2012, 11:59:23 pm

What would you suggest for a lactose intolerant mammal?  My current usual post-climb munch is a hunza nut mule bar (even though I suspect there is no such thing as a hunzanut), a banana and one of those love bars from prat a minger.  With a proper meal an hour or two later when I get home.

Man up.

On a more serious note, take the tablets that mean you can have lactose, then man up.

To be boring, if it's for general recovery, you need mostly carbs with some protein. Just be careful to avoid all fat. Trimmed ham is awesome - put it in bread with ketchup. You can do a big joint pretty cheap and very easy in the oven each week. Otherwise, whatever you find tasty and meets the criteria, or fall back on shakes if you have to.

rich d

• forum hero
#16 Re: Protein?
March 03, 2012, 08:45:21 am
stolen from another debate
danica-patrick-and-skim-milk
Noth­ing beats pure water, Pow­er­ade, skim milk as work­out drink. Recent researches proven that skim milk is in fact much bet­ter work­out and post work­out drink than water or elec­trolyte “sports” drinks.
We are drink­ing dur­ing work­out to pre­vent dehy­dra­tion from sweat­ing, right?
Trial con­ducted by Lough­bor­ough University’s School of Sports and Exer­cise Sci­ence con­firmed that skim milk is much bet­ter rehy­dra­tor and assists faster after exer­cise recov­ery then com­monly known work­out drinks like water and iso­tonic “sports” drinks.
In the trial ath­letes were exer­cis­ing until they lost 1.8% of their body weight, drink­ing skim milk, skim milk with added sodium chlo­ride, water or Pow­er­ade. Those who were drink­ing skim milk had unchanged urine out­put in the five hours fol­low­ing the exer­cise ses­sions. Vol­un­teers who were drink­ing water or Pow­er­ade had increased their urine out­put in the first two hours after workout.
Level of lac­tose acid (that what makes our mus­cles to feel sore after exer­cise) in mus­cles of skim milk drink­ing ath­letes was 27% lower after 24 hours com­par­ing to those who drunk water or Powerade.
It turns out skim milk is more effec­tive at replac­ing sweat loss dur­ing exer­cise and fight­ing dehy­dra­tion than water or so-called “sport” drinks.
Accord­ing to var­i­ous stud­ies skim milk also can help you build mus­cles faster, speed up after exer­cise recov­ery and to actu­ally loose weight more effectively.
So called skim milk is far from nat­ural milk known to every­one. Skim milk, some­times labeled as fat-free milk, gen­er­ally has less than 0.5% milk fat. For exam­ple whole cows milk has around 4% fat or 8 gram fat per 200 ml (stan­dard glass) of which around 4.6?–?4.8 grams are “bad” sat­u­rated fat. Con­trary to com­mon belief skim milk is not diluted whole milk. It is whole milk with­out fat. Man­u­fac­tur­ers don’t add water to the whole milk as it would make it con­tain less pro­tein and car­bo­hy­drates as well. Calo­rie wise skim milk has 83 calo­ries per cup size (250 g) while whole milk bears 150 per same amount. Both of them con­tain about 8 grams of pro­tein and 12 grams of car­bo­hy­drates per 250 ml of milk. Iron­i­cally fat remov­ing milk pro­cess­ing makes fat-free or skim milk more nutri­ent dense than whole milk apart from our expec­ta­tions that food pro­cess­ing makes prod­uct worse. Skim milk has way less cho­les­terol (about 5 mg in skim milk cup ver­sus 24 mg in whole cows milk variety). Skim milk is often for­ti­fied with var­i­ous vit­a­mins. Whole milk nat­u­rally con­tains A, D, K and E vit­a­mins but those are con­cen­trated in the fat while skim milk is arti­fi­cially enriched with vit­a­mins after fat removing.
Skim Milk As Pro­tein Supplement
Skim milk con­tains lot of var­i­ous pro­teins where casein pro­tein and whey pro­tein pre­vail (up to25%). Casein pro­tein is slowly digested (up to 7?–?8 hours) while whey pro­tein takes only half an hour to digest. It makes skim milk very ben­e­fi­cial as post work­out drink insur­ing you have con­stant pro­tein sup­ply for mus­cle recov­ery and growth. Because casein pro­tein is not imme­di­ately avail­able it actu­ally can pro­mote our body to use fat stor­age for imme­di­ate energy which ben­e­fits effi­cient fat loss.
Mus­cle Build­ing Ben­e­fits Of Skim Milk
Cana­dian study at McMas­ter Uni­ver­sity of 2007 involved three groups of vol­un­teers who were vig­or­ously exer­cis­ing 5 days a week over 12 week period. First group was given two cups of skim milk as post work­out drink (16 g of pro­tein and 24 g of carbs), sec­ond group got soy pro­tein drink with com­pa­ra­ble amounts of pro­tein and carbs and the third one got car­bo­hy­drates only iso­tonic “sports” drink.
By the end of the study all three groups gained mus­cles and most vol­un­teers lost fat but the skim milk drinkers lost the most fat?—?on aver­age over two pounds each while “sports” drinkers lost only 1 pound of fat each com­pared to soy pro­tein (whey pro­tein) drinkers lost almost no fat at all!
April 2007 arti­cle pub­lished in Amer­i­can Jour­nal of Clin­i­cal Med­i­cine informs that milk based pro­tein pro­motes greater mus­cle pro­tein accre­tion (lean mus­cle build up and growth) than soy based pro­tein while con­sumed after resis­tance exercise.
Does Skim Milk Help Weight Loss?
There many debates on much inter­est­ing for every­one who is exer­cis­ing weight loss issue.
Stud­ies con­ducted at Uni­ver­sity of Ten­nessee pub­lished in April 2004 in Obe­sity Research found that obese peo­ple who con­sumed 2?–?3 serv­ings of milk or dairy prod­ucts a day on reduced calo­ries diet lost on aver­age 24 lbs in six weeks?—?sig­nif­i­cantly more than those who con­sumed same amount of calo­ries but did not include milk in their diet.
Var­i­ous researchers report that weight loss in these stud­ies could be mainly appointed to the higher cal­cium intake from skim milk (which is rich in cal­cium). There are still debates whether skim milk or dairy prod­ucts help to lose weight or not but it worth tak­ing a look at 42 years old ex-Olympian swim­mer Dara Tor­res abs to get convinced.
And lis­ten what she says about drink­ing milk. Click on video to play.
http://www.fitbefit.com/best-workout-drink-skim

Stabbsy

• junky
#17 Re: Protein?
March 03, 2012, 09:17:32 am

TobyD

• forum hero
#18 Re: Protein?
March 03, 2012, 02:29:58 pm
For general recovery, skimmed chocolate milk has been shown (Two studies, which i've linked before on here somewhere) to be better than any of the recovery shakes.
 the typical average amounts of major nutrients in the unreconstituted nonfat dry milk are (by weight) 36% protein, 52% carbohydrates (predominantly lactose), calcium 1.3%, potassium 1.8%.
The white of a large egg, or about 1-1/4 ounces, has 16 calories, 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 55 mg of sodium, 45 mg of potassium, the weensiest little bit of riboflavin, and no fat, cholesterol, or carbohydrates.
Just to be clear, I'm not denying that shakes have an element of convenience (I use gels and powders for running sometimes). I just object to people being lied to with false SCIENCE in the marketing. I'm not a hippy, or even a wonderfully healthy eater, but the natural stuff is just better for you.
Generally i think i agree with you, except that 'natural stuff is better for you'; this is a bit like the illusion that organic is somehow tastier. It is sometimes, but that is because it is more likely to be local and seasonal, and not grown in a giant shed in the netherlands; not because its organic. Similarly, i'm sure you could live 'heathily' off synthesised food products and supplements, but if you had a modicum of discrimination, you would acknowledge that it all tasted like shit. Which is probably what you were saying anyway, but i just fancied a small rant. ;)
If nothing else real food is just nicer to shove into your face than some whey / carb blend which someone has desperately tried to shove chemicals into to make it taste like something else which you would actually find appetising. That said, sometimes i am just too lazy to boil eggs or whatever before i go out climbing, so a bit of whey and a banana is just less hassle.
If you avoid *all* fat however, you will end up with an intreresting range of neurological problems, vitamin deficiencies (as several are fat soluble) and probably getting ill pretty often. :badidea:  None of which will aid the presumed oucome here, which is being better at climbing up rocks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:36:03 pm by TobyD »

Paul B

• forum hero
#19 Re: Protein?
March 04, 2012, 03:36:37 pm
two studies, which i've linked before on here somewhere

Do you mind re-linking? I'm genuinely interested in reading these as other posts in this thread aren't really making a fair comparison (i.e. they're comparing skimmed milk to lucozade style drinks).

The other comparison only shows Milk to be better than the Soy derived whey/carb mix (my whey certainly isn't dervied in this way). This to me only proves the benefit of (slow digestetion) Cassein protein? I'd like to see a derived Cassein protein product compared directly to that of milk with a comparable calorific breakdown in order to draw conclusions of milk being a wonder recovery drink (I'm not doubitng that it might be, but the research presented thus far doesn't show it).

In fact:

Quote from: Ingestion of Casein and Whey Proteins Result in Muscle Anabolism after Resistance Exercise, 2007
Conclusions: Acute ingestion of both WH and CS after exercise resulted in similar increases in muscle protein net balance, resulting in net muscle protein synthesis despite different patterns of blood amino acid responses.

double edit:

Quote from: Ingestion of whey hydrolysate, casein, or soy protein isolate: effects on mixed muscle protein synthesis at rest and following resistance exercise in young men, 2009
We conclude that the feeding-induced simulation of MPS in young men is greater after whey hydrolysate or soy protein consumption than casein both at rest and after resistance exercise; moreover, despite both being fast proteins, whey hydrolysate stimulated MPS to a greater degree than soy after resistance exercise. These differences may be related to how quickly the proteins are digested (i.e., fast vs. slow) or possibly to small differences in leucine content of each protein.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:58:40 pm by Paul B »

psychomansam

• forum hero
#20 Re: Protein?
March 04, 2012, 06:25:34 pm
For general recovery, skimmed chocolate milk has been shown (Two studies, which i've linked before on here somewhere) to be better than any of the recovery shakes.
 the typical average amounts of major nutrients in the unreconstituted nonfat dry milk are (by weight) 36% protein, 52% carbohydrates (predominantly lactose), calcium 1.3%, potassium 1.8%.
Generally i think i agree with you, except that 'natural stuff is better for you'; this is a bit like the illusion that organic is somehow tastier. It is sometimes, but that is because it is more likely to be local and seasonal, and not grown in a giant shed in the netherlands; not because its organic. Similarly, i'm sure you could live 'heathily' off synthesised food products and supplements, but if you had a modicum of discrimination, you would acknowledge that it all tasted like shit. Which is probably what you were saying anyway, but i just fancied a small rant. ;)
If nothing else real food is just nicer to shove into your face than some whey / carb blend which someone has desperately tried to shove chemicals into to make it taste like something else which you would actually find appetising. That said, sometimes i am just too lazy to boil eggs or whatever before i go out climbing, so a bit of whey and a banana is just less hassle.
If you avoid *all* fat however, you will end up with an intreresting range of neurological problems, vitamin deficiencies (as several are fat soluble) and probably getting ill pretty often. :badidea:  None of which will aid the presumed oucome here, which is being better at climbing up rocks.

I agree with everything you just said. My comment was intended to be about milk and not a general one; sorry for the lack of clarity. As for fat, absolutely we need it. Just try to take it on before, rather than after exercise (although perhaps not just before). I switched to fruit and nut rather than fruit muesli and actually noticeable felt better for it. I had a lovely tin of mackerel in tomato sauce before climbing today. On that note, sometimes I eat something and think wow, that was exactly what I needed. Always worth listening to your body.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#21 Re: Protein?
March 04, 2012, 06:28:09 pm
-Do you mind re-linking? I'm genuinely interested in reading these as other posts in this thread aren't really making a fair -comparison (i.e. they're comparing skimmed milk to lucozade style drinks).

I'll try hunting when I have time. (Prob tomo when I'm avoiding essay writing)

TobyD

• forum hero
#22 Re: Protein?
March 05, 2012, 05:29:21 pm
On that note, sometimes I eat something and think wow, that was exactly what I needed. Always worth listening to your body.

:agree:

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
― Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

lukeh

• addict
#23 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 08:52:51 am
Supplements ... a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk.

Tonight's Panorama deals with 'sports products' and so should be of relevance to this thread.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 12:44:00 pm
Putting together supplement and running shoes is very biased.
Also, the idea of performance enhancing supplement is not very clear...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 01:46:01 pm
Putting together supplement and running shoes is very biased.

Not if the evidence to support the claims made of both is dodgy and/or the effect size of either is tiny.

E.g.

Claim - "This protein shake will make you really strong"

Evidence - "It makes a 0.01% difference compared to placebo"

Claim - "These shoes make you less prone to injury"

Evidence - "Injuries are just as likely to occur as with any other shoe"

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#26 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 01:53:19 pm
I had taken the article specifically aimed at supplementation, which it's not. Hence my comment. Had read the artcile but not the title.
Sorry.

stevej

• menacing presence
#27 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 04:06:32 pm
Jens Voigt drinks chocolate milk, nuff said.

Quote from: Jens Voigt (@thejensie)
A 1 liter bottle of chocolade milk, i really dig that stuff, its great for my soul and my head. And hey- a happy rider is stronger rider...

lmarenzi

• regular
  • Receptionist at Comici, Buhl, Dawes & Sharma, Ltd
  • Punter
#28 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 04:23:40 pm
What climbers really give a toss about getting bigger muscles though? In the end you want your muscles to be able to do more, who cares what size they are, unless you inflate like a balloon?

And what climber cares about levels of lactic acid 24 hours after exercise? Its about what you can do on the rock that counts, isn't it? Maybe you would be much better off with much higher levels of lactic acid for weeks on end if it gave you better power endurance after 6 weeks. Or maybe it turns out the levels of lactic acid are just not relevant to climbing at all? Who would know this kind of stuff? Certainly not the poor sods doing the actual studies quoted.

In general, drinking liquids with energy in will be less filling than drinking water and eating the same amount of energy, so drinking lots of protein shakes will make you heavier. Other things being equal. Unless they are so gross that you feel ill when you drink them and lose your appetite, which is why I take them when I am doing a proper diet. And the multivitamin pills too, I feel awful after them, can't eat for hours.  ;D

The mention of a study that will allow you to lose 24 pounds in 3 months by drinking milk cause its got calcium in, well, I am sure it doesn't really say that if you bother to read it but whatever, lets face facts here, common sense dictates the conclusion that drinking milk is no way going to make you any slimmer.

Supplements are all well and good if they remain just that, supplements, especially in a sport like climbing where net expenditure of energy is very, very small, and the body adapts at a snail's pace.

Overall the goal of diet must be to provide a wide variety of nutrients that allow intense effort to be put in and then proper recovery to take place, and for a climber, at the lowest possible body fat percentage and weight (I would suggest in that order). How much does weight loss yield? From what I can tell, 5 kgs off is worth in the region of half to one letter grade in sport climbing. In other words, losing a stone will likely get you a gain of no more than single letter grade, and that will be a one off. Despite what some pundits opinion to the contrary, it is clear that if you are a respectable weight and further weight loss is hard, losing a further stone will yield very, very little for the extra effort. Better just MTFU and learn how to climb harder.

Usual disclaimers apply.

rodma

• forum hero
#29 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 08:29:23 pm
Supplements ... a rather expensive way of getting a bit of milk.

Tonight's Panorama deals with 'sports products' and so should be of relevance to this thread.

Am currently watching this prog and it's a bit log.

35g of protein through protein shake is about 175cals whereas through skimmed milk is about 380cals (and is a stomach churning 1litre). I wonder why i opt for the former

abarro81

• forum hero
#30 Re: Protein?
July 19, 2012, 09:18:00 pm
I only saw half of it, but no reference to timing of nutrients unless i missed it. The main reason I use protein is that its easy to have at the wall before I walk home. Same price as milk anyway

b3n99

• stalker
#31 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 12:07:33 am
Was looking forward to this program but it was, to put it bluntly, a crock of sh**e. Some bloke from Oxford repeating the fact that they have not found strong evidence to support the claims without looking at any of these studies or showing any results. It seemed to be a normal Panorama style 'slag 'em off' hour to me. Rubbish.

35g of protein through protein shake is about 175cals whereas through skimmed milk is about 380cals (and is a stomach churning 1litre). I wonder why i opt for the former

Is this amount of protein necessary? I have found it hard to find any studies or advice with regards to protein that aren't just about how to fill out your unnecessarily small shirt and actually relate to recovery (avoiding muscle and therefor wight gain)

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#32 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 03:54:44 am
When I was trying to lose weight last year I supplemented my protein intake with unflavoured whey powder (mixed with yoghurt and eaten with cereal immediately after a session at the wall) as it seemed the easiest way to get to or at least near 30% of my calories coming from protein (as recommended by Matt Fitzgerald in his Racing Weight books, endorsed and sold by Dave Macleod)

I've piled on the kgs since being in Australia (tipped the scales at 76 kg no too long ago  :o) and I've recently started to try and reverse the trend. Knowing it worked last time I've gone back to trying to boost my protein % and although I'm being way less anal about it (not a single spreadsheet!) the weight is dropping off

On the amino acid side, I've found that glutamine really helps with recovery. I am back to taking a teaspoon full every morning and night and I noticed (or possibly imagined) that I was able to get much more done training wise on consecutive days...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 08:11:31 am
Some bloke from Oxford repeating the fact that they have not found strong evidence to support the claims without looking at any of these studies or showing any results. It seemed to be a normal Panorama style 'slag 'em off' hour to me. Rubbish.

I didn't watch it but would suggest that going through a systematic review and/or meta-analysis on TV would make for very dull and boring viewing, but if you want to review studies yourself knock yourself out (crude literature search, you'll no doubt want to weed out those that don't focus on healthy people as they won't be of relevance, but you can choose your inclusion/exclusion criteria, from the synopsis the researchers in the program started with the studies provided by the manufacturers, not sure how you'd get that list though.). 

The CONSORT guidelines may be useful if you're not familiar with reporting standards for clinical trials to decide whether a study has been well conducted, and the information at the Cochrane Reviews where systematic reviews/meta-analyses are reported (in particular their Handbook for Reviewers) will likely be useful too.

Tons of stuff out there and Google Scholar is particularly good at finding versions of articles that are not behind paywalls.

EDIT : Might also be worth keeping an eye on one of the reviewers (Carl Heneghan) blogs Trust the Evidence for a write-up/overview of what they did.

EDIT 2 : This might be the starting point you're after as it appears to include the 130 citations they reviewed.... Heneghan C, Gill P, O’Neill B, Lasserson D, Thake M, Thompson M (2012) Mythbusting sports and exercise products BMJ:345:e4848 (or you could ask Fiend as he appears to be a co-author :P).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 08:36:06 am by slack---line »

rodma

• forum hero
#34 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 08:36:42 am

Is this amount of protein necessary? I have found it hard to find any studies or advice with regards to protein that aren't just about how to fill out your unnecessarily small shirt and actually relate to recovery (avoiding muscle and therefor wight gain)

I thought you said you didn't know who i am  :P

35g of protein isn't exactly a lot, especially if I'm having vegetable soup for dinner. I have the protein shakes for two reasons, one is convenience, the other is to ensure that I actually am getting enough of it, without eating, meat, fish, eggs etc. every day.

No wait, three reasons, protein also helps with satiety, which for me is a big deal, since I've reached an age where I put weight on really easily if I cave in to all of my cravings (Soup also helps with satiety).

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#35 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 11:31:12 am
Was looking forward to this program but it was, to put it bluntly, a crock of sh**e. Some bloke from Oxford repeating the fact that they have not found strong evidence to support the claims without looking at any of these studies or showing any results.

Not seen the telly but the research which set the media ball rolling is in this week's brit med journal. You might need an athens account but this paper gives a nice clear summary of the some of the stuff spouted by companies trying to make an dishonest buck:

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4848

(There're also a couple of interesting papers on the current fetish for hydration  and its origin.)

I'll continue my personal long-term single case study research into the effects of post exercise fermented malted barley, accompanied by sodium enriched Arachis hypogaea.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#36 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 11:34:57 am
You might need an athens account but this paper gives a nice clear summary of the some of the stuff spouted by companies trying to make an dishonest buck:

Nope I could view that from home when I linked it two posts above earlier. ;)

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#37 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 11:38:35 am
...:sorry: so you did.

It's a problem I have with long posts and my short concentration sp... Look a pigeon!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 11:42:01 am
Its ok, most of what I write is boring crap and of no interest to anyone anyway so I'm not surprised when it gets passed over.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#39 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 04:47:52 pm
Its ok, most of what I write is boring crap and of no interest to anyone anyway so I'm not surprised when it gets passed over.

If it matters, I love it.  I've been reading more studies than ever :) 

(wow, I'm a true nerd....)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: Protein?
July 20, 2012, 04:54:27 pm
Cheers glad you're finding some of the links interesting.

Doesn't bother me if I'm ignored, I got used to it many, many years ago. :geek:

And besides, I probably shouldn't drone on and on and ariston.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal