UKBouldering.com

Van overnight spots (Read 6849 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 10:42:13 am
I will of course be discreet, not litter, use the loo in the garage etc...

Having said that, anyone know any good spots for an overnight stay when on Peak grit for a couple of days? Preferably where I won't get bothered by scallies/doggers.

Similar suggestions for Lakes, Yorks, N Wales etc also gratefully received.

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 11:07:46 am
N Wales I usually stay in the public car park near the Vaynol. Great for the pub and has toilets that are open most of the time. Never been hassled despite running into both the feds and the guy who opens the bogs, however a weekend in spring/summer will see you wakened by walkers using the park and ride from first thing in morning.

Peak is a tricky one. If you park anywhere “obvious” like Stanage, Burbage etc. you will probably get moved on by the warden, this certainly used to happen. For my money they rule themselves out anyway as they aren’t near a pub. You could definitely stay near The Barrel at Bretton. It’s a super quiet back road, I’ve heard the pub will allow vans in car park if you give them custom, if not there is loads of parking 200yards up road where no-one will bother you. Good central location.

You could also try the Froggatt NT/PDNA (not sure which?) car park near The Grouse, I’ve stayed here in past but again signs say not to do it, not sure how likely it is you’ll get moved? Probably mid-to-high at the weekend tbh.

Lakes – depends where you want to be? Seems like the hardest place to stay, every decent spot has “No Overnight Parking” signs up. If you park in an NT car park you definitely will get moved on, plus probably guilt tripped into joining if not already a member! I’ve stayed by Ullswater without probs (by road), and I’m sure there are plenty of quiet spots on the hill roads, other than that not sure but then my folks live near enough that I don’t have to bother.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 11:16:02 am
I’ve stayed in the public carpark in Tideswell (not too far from decent boozers). Haven’t seen any no overnight stay signs and have not been bothered by anyone. It has a toilet block too.
Under Raventor probably a good bet, it’s flat fairly discrete and on a dead end road, plus near a pub.

A good fallback if you can handle a bit of traffic noise is to park discretely (not in front of a house) in a village/town. In my experience you usually draw no more attention doing this than you would parking the vehicle unoccupied.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 11:18:30 am
For the Yorkshire grit I usually stay in a tiny unmarked carpark on the right side of the Brimham road just north past the main entrance and before you get to Crimpy Roof. It is flat, quiet and has no signs warning you off.

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 11:27:21 am
There's a back road near Ambleside, across the river from the park, that I've used numerous times. Good for pubs etc. as it's close to the town. Good for Langdale boulders but everywhere else is a little far.

andy_e

• forum hero
#5 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 11:51:23 am
  :)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 12:40:50 pm
The Barrel at Bretton has ace views too - for checking weather as well.

Hodge Close in T'Lakes could be an option? I forget if it's NT or not. By the best climbing the lakes anyway.

Duddon Valley bound to have some quiet spots.

Duma

• forum hero
#7 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 04:56:02 pm
Cheers all, much appreciated.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 05:07:47 pm
PMed you ( i think?)

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Van overnight spots
February 15, 2012, 05:10:47 pm
Yeah I got it, cheers for the link.

lukeh

• addict
#10 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 09:28:20 am
A friend just started a site that may be of interest - its aim is to become a guide to the wild camping spots.

http://www.dreamstops.com

You can post overnight spots for everyone to see or create private/hidden groups for more sensitive spots. Should make sharing a bit easier.  :)

EDIT: The site is still pretty much brand new so the list of locations is pretty small, but it has to start somewhere!  :2thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 09:43:42 am
 :-\ Won't that ultimately defeat the object as you'll end up getting people aggregating at locations listed on the site?   :shrug:

lukeh

• addict
#12 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 10:07:42 am
Yea, I guess that could be a possibility if the number of members greatly outweighed the locations being provided; the problem being the free riders not providing extra locations to spread the load. However, I wouldn't have thought that it would lead to large enough volumes to create problems?

There is also the option to create hidden groups, so perhaps a ukb group, which would then be a small enough community to prevent the misuse, and then loss, of sites...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 10:10:59 am
:-\ Won't that ultimately defeat the object as you'll end up getting people aggregating at locations listed on the site?   :shrug:

From experience of using similar website already in existence I've found this not to be the case. For most of the spots we have used in Scotland and N England anyway.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 10:16:13 am
Fair-do's, the impression I have is that decent spots where you don't get hassle are getting rarer, and if everyone made such spots widely known they'd get frequented more regularly (with possible pernicious side-effects).

I guess Scotland is a bit different from England/Wales as you can wild camp pretty much anywhere can't you?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Van overnight spots
February 21, 2012, 10:44:57 am
Scotland yes, but also a few recommended spots we've used as far South as Yokshire have been good too. No idea further south.

TonyS

• regular
#16 Re: Van overnight spots
February 27, 2012, 09:57:20 pm
Hi ya,

A overnight spot in the peak.  Near moneyash on the B5055 from Bakewell.

It as a small car park / toilet stopping place just before you go up the hill into moneyash it's self.. The parking is just up from the entrance path to Lathkill Dale so is also great for an early morning strole or dog walk.

The toilets were open all night last year as they were community toilets, the pub up the road in moneyash is also very good and the food is great if you want a treat.

Also another vote for the wildcamping Website it was very usefull on our 5 weeks around Scotland last year and just got a place in Dorset for next weekend.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#17 Re: Van overnight spots
February 27, 2012, 11:11:39 pm
As long as you're subtle

:lol:
(Would totally have them both though)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal