UKBouldering.com

Snowdonia ??? (Read 912 times)

Jonboy

• regular
Snowdonia ???
March 30, 2004, 08:22:44 pm
I have recently been considering spending a few nights camping out and doing a bit of Bouldering/trekking around the Snowdon area.  I will more than likely be going on my own if I do go, I have never been there before and never done any navigation before..but I thought feck it I need to get away for a bit!  If I keep a good note of direction and always keep note of landmarks I should be ok :? ?
Has any1 here done anything like this before and if so what should I know?  ( I know I should larn how to use a map and compass but lessons cost...and if I can get away without having to I will...for now).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Snowdonia ???
March 30, 2004, 08:33:21 pm
The problem with just taking note of landmarks is that it's fine until the weather comes in or it gets dark and you can't see anything any more.

I used to do lots of this sort of stuff when I was young and once you're used to it, you can navigate in shite visibility, though I'd probably just get lost and walk over a cliff these days.

If you want a nice guide to mountain navigation, check this one out on planetfear.com

http://www.planetfear.com/climbing/features/howto/navigation/navigation1.html

Jonboy

• regular
#2 Snowdonia ???
April 01, 2004, 10:40:12 pm
:) Just what I was looking for, cheers Bubba.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal