UKBouldering.com

Franco speaks (Read 14008 times)

shaun l

#25 Re: Franco speaks
October 24, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
Hey man, going to share my thoughts on this. I started posting on on-line forums when I was 23, didn't have the internet at school and only really picked it up in my early 20's. I think most people who post on these forums are probably in the same boat. When I speak to young people now say 16-18 years old they generally seem quite reserved and quiet until they get to know you and know you're not going to act like a dick. Most people will generally act different round kids and give them plenty of slack if they say daft things, knowing they're still growing and developing their ideas.

The internet however is a different world, the closest comparison I can think of to people's behaviour on the internet is people's behaviour when driving cars. If the person is kind and courteous then their driving behaviour will reflect this - giving way, driving safely, making life easy for others ect. If the person is the opposite of that then the car is the perfect tool to let them unfurl all their misery and negativity on the world. They can be rude, threatening, obstructive and dangerous towards others knowing they're more or less untouchable. This can be totally dependent upon the person's mood also, making the whole thing even more unpredictable.

I've seen loads of 16 -18 year old's getting ripped on UKC. What happens is the kid writes a load of controversial half-developed ideas and people just take the piss, the more that do it the more join in. Each post isn't enough to get the poster banned (remember, no warnings on UKC) but each is a little knife wound and if they get enough of them they lash out. This then makes people hassle them even more and they get into these negative cycles where people just respond to them based on their past behaviour.

What you most remember is these people are just dicks. You wouldn't be friends with them in real life, say you had to work with them or something - you wouldn't share your thoughts with them, you wouldn't listen to what they say, you wouldn't even talk to them if you could help it. We've known each other what 7 years now? I've met plenty of your mates and each and every one of them was a cool guy. As you know we had a mutual friend who I can honestly say was the most inspirational climber I've ever climbed with. These are the people who's opinions matter. Just 'cause some dick can write an articulate post on the internet doesn't make it worth anything.

Anyway for the Franco doubters I seconded one of his routes back in 2009 (ish). It was without a doubt the hardest route I've ever climbed in a ten year obsession.  5c/6a moves, tiny, slopey holds with your feet three foot above a shallow cam in a sandstone break. Straight up the centre of Roseberry Topping, the most iconic hill in the Tees Valley and one I've been climbing since I could walk. Special day that one.... just think about the real people Franco.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#26 Re: Franco speaks
October 24, 2014, 08:08:18 pm
Does he climb with Si O Conner?

I think it's fair to say most people on here, Peter Andre excluded, would say what they type on here face to face.

(actually I think he's probably rather a good climber and a good chap, but its the log pile after all, so this thread has no where else to go but down)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal