UKBouldering.com

Franco speaks (Read 13940 times)

Franco

• menacing presence
Franco speaks
February 24, 2012, 04:29:49 pm
Hello UKB,

I was on a bored little narcissistic outing and came across this topic when googling my own name. I realise it's quite an old topic and reviving such things may be ill-advised, but there are some pretty strong opinions about me on here which seem like they need a reply.

I think the first thing that needs to be addressed is the idea that I somehow don't understand why drytooling at Millstone or pegging or whatever is wrong. Obviously I do. I think the best way to convince newbies though isn't to just say 'this is wrong', but to explain why it's wrong. That's what all that devil's advocate bollocks was about.

The second point I'd like to address is the accusation that I am a self publicist. It may surprise you to learn that I have only ever sent one thing into UKC and that was an article about the Whitestone traverse, that Jack turned into a news item. I didn't send details about the Hypocrisy of Moose in- jack saw a picture on my facebook and asked me for details. The tintwistle video was put on without my permission and I wasn't consulted. UKC have their small print sorted and will just use any info you put on their site without asking for permission. I don't mind; it's funny and it annoyed people- which I enjoyed doing at the time. I was involved in the recent april fools thing obviously, but that was only self-depreciating anyway. We've spent the last year putting up routes in the North York Moors and haven't sent anything to UKC- contrast that to the peak lot, who's new E5s are the latest issue of Climb all the time- I think it's good they send them in, but I'm just using that as proof I'm not out to try and get popular.

so basically... I spent many-a-bored hour trolling around on UKC and a few/ a lot of people (often those with egos) got annoyed.  I'm not obsessed with being a big cheese (with climbing anyway) and have deliberately gone out of my way to be untouchable by sponsors. I really dislike the sponsored side of the sport, it leads to an impersonal relationship with routes, using words like 'send' etc. That really grates on me. Decided that a while ago.

If you meet me at the crag (you wont, cause I don't leave the moors), you'd see a quiet, friendly youth who wasn't particularly gifted. A lot of you will still think I'm a dick now, but I really don't mind- the climbing world is more fun with a bit of abuse. Perhaps over the next few years you'll forget who I am and then you're bubbling hatred will cool.

I do hope some of you get up to the moors sometime to try my routes like, or established routes we've re-opened. There's a lot of shit, but some real gems too!

Franco (now back to the Austrian training room....)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:17:43 am by thesiger, Reason: Split from Millstone tooling and renamed »

clm

• forum hero
#1 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 04:41:18 pm
Your bubbling hatred

Franco

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 04:42:28 pm
sorry yeh.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 04:47:24 pm
You've hit your own nail on its head with...

so basically... I spent many-a-bored hour trolling around on UKC

In general people don't like trolls and they then become easy targets for hatred.

Sounds like its perhaps a thing of the past now though.

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 06:55:18 pm
Still reckon I was right, you need to take more drugs....destroy the ego and all that.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#5 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 07:17:47 pm
I'm not obsessed with being a big cheese (with climbing anyway) and have deliberately gone out of my way to be untouchable by sponsors. I really dislike the sponsored side of the sport, it leads to an impersonal relationship with routes, using words like 'send' etc.

Hmmm. I've never been sponsored, but I know a few who are. Trust me, being impersonal towards routes or using words like 'send' has absolutely nothing to do with sponsorship. It may have something to do with being the kind of self-publicist who might seek out sponsorship, but that's not the same thing. Its a real shame people can't make this distinction, as there's nothing more disappointing than a real talent shunning publicity because they think the 'name' climbers are dicks... it only exacerbates the situation.

Franco

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 07:25:15 pm
I reckon you're right, but reading things like this just makes me want to run a mile from gear companies (if I ever got good enough*):

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4465

Numbers, cliches and BS. Makes me want to cry.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 07:32:18 pm

If you meet me at the crag (you wont, cause I don't leave the moors), you'd see a quiet, friendly youth who wasn't particularly gifted.
With the obvious exception of when you nip up to Wimberry to piss up Danger Mouse, obviously. I haven't forgot. I'll be very disappointed if you don't, that hat of mine looks very appetizing after all.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#8 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 07:57:47 pm
Hello UKB,

A lot of you will still think I'm a dick....

...but I've just reared my head to make a relentlessly self-referential post about me,me,me.  :-\

At least 'narcissistic' was correctly spelled.  :yawn:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#9 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 07:58:42 pm
Ok, if this thread is gonna go off on a tangent, can a mod please split it?

FWIW, I know a few people who do have a few sponsors. They couldn't do some of the awesome trips they do without them. They wouldn't be able to tick many of their hardest routes without the support their sponsors offer. Obviously having an understanding employer can be just as important, but let's not underestimate the amount that their sponsors assist in them achieving what they do.

I mean they're not as well supported as in America, but it helps, and it's worth it. Especially if it pushes the standard of climbing within Britain.

Franco

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 08:20:36 pm
It's quite hard to defend ones self without referring to yourself. I'd happily not talk about me, if UKB doesn't think it necessary to accuse me of certain, pretty damning character traits.

In reply to the sponsorship thing. Yeh, I have friends who couldn't have achieved their trips to the greater ranges without sponsorship. There are also people who get the odd bit of free stuff and just climb like they always have done.  The thing I really dislike is the attitude of the gear companies which affects the people who are sponsored a lot. They seem to have to become likeable and just speak in platitudes. I know some people think gear companies only do good, but I disagree. I'm not particularly interested in discussing it on the internet as it will just turn into a fight, but I felt it necessary to mention to back up the point.

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 09:43:30 pm
Can we have a log pile for the log pile please?

rich d

• forum hero
#12 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 09:53:08 pm
"It's quite hard to defend ones self without referring to yourself. I'd happily not talk about me, if UKB doesn't think it necessary to accuse me of certain, pretty damning character traits."
I don't think UKB had ever accused you of such, as a UKB member I certainly never had, surely bringing this back up after this amount of time adds evidence to these character traits.
Hard to believe you're not just trolling again.
Post something useful, positive and not just relating to yourself. (If you met me at the crag - you'd think I was a fat useless punter and you'd be right!)

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 09:58:09 pm
I had curry for dinner. Very nice too. Chicken methi.

clm

• forum hero
#14 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 10:11:41 pm
Hello UKB,

A lot of you will still think I'm a dick....

...but I've just reared my head to make a relentlessly self-referential post about me,me,me.  :-\

At least 'narcissistic' was correctly spelled.  :yawn:

After googling himself, don't forget that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#15 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 24, 2012, 11:51:39 pm
Franco, do you honestly think you are doing yourself any favours posting drivel like this? I would have taken the sleeping dogs approach if I was you.

dave

#16 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 07:46:14 am
Who is this guy and why does anyone give a shit?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#17 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 07:48:52 am
Yawn.

Tell you what though, he's right about that Wild Country team promo thing. It's fucking cringeworthy!

Who wrote it?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#18 Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 08:28:29 am
Who is this guy and why does anyone give a shit?
I believe he was responsible for the deaths of several hundred thousand Spaniards....

dave

#19 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 01:25:14 pm
Ahh, the guernica dude.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#20 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 01:58:45 pm
I thought it was Franco Columbu

clm

• forum hero
#21 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 02:11:12 pm
Though I think this guy knows more about the ethics of grad climbing.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Luambo_Makiadi

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#22 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 02:28:33 pm
I thought it was Franco Columbu

Everything about that video is awesome :bow:

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
#23 Re: Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
February 25, 2012, 08:19:38 pm
so basically... I spent many-a-bored hour trolling around on UKC

In general people don't like trolls and they then become easy targets for hatred.

Sounds like its perhaps a thing of the past now though.

Looks like it's not a thing of the past just yet...I'm assuming (ahem :-\) this tool is Franco (they share the same...characteristics e.g. both...well, tools)

Franco

• menacing presence
#24 Re: Franco speaks
February 25, 2012, 09:20:08 pm
Jurgen isn't a tool though.

shaun l

#25 Re: Franco speaks
October 24, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
Hey man, going to share my thoughts on this. I started posting on on-line forums when I was 23, didn't have the internet at school and only really picked it up in my early 20's. I think most people who post on these forums are probably in the same boat. When I speak to young people now say 16-18 years old they generally seem quite reserved and quiet until they get to know you and know you're not going to act like a dick. Most people will generally act different round kids and give them plenty of slack if they say daft things, knowing they're still growing and developing their ideas.

The internet however is a different world, the closest comparison I can think of to people's behaviour on the internet is people's behaviour when driving cars. If the person is kind and courteous then their driving behaviour will reflect this - giving way, driving safely, making life easy for others ect. If the person is the opposite of that then the car is the perfect tool to let them unfurl all their misery and negativity on the world. They can be rude, threatening, obstructive and dangerous towards others knowing they're more or less untouchable. This can be totally dependent upon the person's mood also, making the whole thing even more unpredictable.

I've seen loads of 16 -18 year old's getting ripped on UKC. What happens is the kid writes a load of controversial half-developed ideas and people just take the piss, the more that do it the more join in. Each post isn't enough to get the poster banned (remember, no warnings on UKC) but each is a little knife wound and if they get enough of them they lash out. This then makes people hassle them even more and they get into these negative cycles where people just respond to them based on their past behaviour.

What you most remember is these people are just dicks. You wouldn't be friends with them in real life, say you had to work with them or something - you wouldn't share your thoughts with them, you wouldn't listen to what they say, you wouldn't even talk to them if you could help it. We've known each other what 7 years now? I've met plenty of your mates and each and every one of them was a cool guy. As you know we had a mutual friend who I can honestly say was the most inspirational climber I've ever climbed with. These are the people who's opinions matter. Just 'cause some dick can write an articulate post on the internet doesn't make it worth anything.

Anyway for the Franco doubters I seconded one of his routes back in 2009 (ish). It was without a doubt the hardest route I've ever climbed in a ten year obsession.  5c/6a moves, tiny, slopey holds with your feet three foot above a shallow cam in a sandstone break. Straight up the centre of Roseberry Topping, the most iconic hill in the Tees Valley and one I've been climbing since I could walk. Special day that one.... just think about the real people Franco.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#26 Re: Franco speaks
October 24, 2014, 08:08:18 pm
Does he climb with Si O Conner?

I think it's fair to say most people on here, Peter Andre excluded, would say what they type on here face to face.

(actually I think he's probably rather a good climber and a good chap, but its the log pile after all, so this thread has no where else to go but down)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal