UKBouldering.com

Remote controlled cars (Read 4156 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Remote controlled cars
February 08, 2012, 12:33:40 pm
My fiancé just bought me a nitro remote controlled buggy for my birthday. One of these beasts, a Kyosho Inferno Neo.

I have to say it is pretty amazing compared to the old battery one i used to drive when i was younger. Very fast, noisy and goes over almost any surface. I don't think I've smiled that much in ages.

Here is a video of it in action. (Beware high cheese levels!)

I just wondered if anyone else is a massive kid like me and has some good remote controlled cars. Also does anyone have any knowledge of good places to trash it around in the manchester area. I know Platt fields has a bmx track but i don't know if they will let me drive my car on it.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#1 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 08, 2012, 12:58:06 pm
I have a CRT.5 1/12th scale nitro car. Great fun.

As it's only a 1/12 scale car I can bash/race it down on the purpose built track at Bury.

However, as yours is 1/8th, if you want to have a proper blast round a dedicated track you would have to go to the track at Kirkham.

Take a look here:
http://www.nnrc.info/

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 08, 2012, 12:59:23 pm
There were some guys at Burbage west yesterday giving their tiny 4x4s a workout. I muct admit I thought this thread would be bile/ pisstaking.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 08, 2012, 01:14:32 pm
My son's got the 1:50 F430 version of this:

It's amazing for something so tiny. Even the headlights switch on and off.  8)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 02:03:55 pm
There were some guys at Burbage west yesterday giving their tiny 4x4s a workout. I muct admit I thought this thread would be bile/ pisstaking.

Hehe I think it would be quite a cool thing to have out at the crag, apart from the noise / annoyance to others I guess. Might be fun to do whilst resting in between project attempts, I reckon you could properly thrash the car around rocky areas.

Jamie, if you need any advice / spares / repairs etc, please go to http://www.stevewebb.co.uk/ (or http://www.servoshop.co.uk/ ) - this is run by my cousin, and despite the old-skool website, him and his dad REALLY know their stuff about RC and are very sound and helpful. Based in Frodsham so they might well know stuff about the Manc area.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 02:37:01 pm
Forget remote controlled cars, what you need is a swarm of rotorcoptors....

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 02:52:37 pm
Ace :2thumbsup:

JamieG

• forum hero
#7 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 03:09:46 pm
Cheers Fiend for the knowledge on the shop. I think my girlfriend went in there and talked to them to get some advice. I will definitely be needing all the help I can get when something goes wrong.

I thought about taking it to the crag, but it is far too noisy and will just piss off everyone.

JB, there is no pisstaking here. :) I know it is sad/uncool, but they really are ridiculously good fun.

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#8 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 03:16:01 pm
I was thinking of getting one of these. Makes perfect sense really: a rock crawler for a rock climber and no noise as it's electric:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58405

SamT

• forum hero
#9 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 04:50:46 pm

;D

Never thought I'd see a thread about this on UKb...

I have a Tamiya Frog and Boomerang complete with Beaties bags in the garage awaiting restoration  back to their former glory.  I had both of these as a kid and we used to race every weekend in Castleton village hall - I sorely regetted selling them so in a fit of mid life crisis esque madness - I picked up a couple on Ebay with the intentions of repainting them the same as the ones I had as a kid.

May be sometime before I find the time!!

JamieG

• forum hero
#10 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 09, 2012, 05:15:45 pm
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Phew!

Cheers Gremlin on the link to the NNRC. I think i'll head down one sunday and have a go. They seem pretty friendly.

I think part of the reason RC cars appeal is I enjoy building/tinkering with these kind of kits anyway, and then I get to go out drive it until it breaks and then fix it again. :-)

gremlin

• stalker
    • Java shit
#11 Re: Remote controlled cars
February 10, 2012, 12:46:57 pm
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Phew!

Cheers Gremlin on the link to the NNRC. I think i'll head down one sunday and have a go. They seem pretty friendly.

I think part of the reason RC cars appeal is I enjoy building/tinkering with these kind of kits anyway, and then I get to go out drive it until it breaks and then fix it again. :-)

Yeah, they're very friendly down at NNRC. I spent some good times down there racing my Savage XS monster truck!

As for the tinkering/building, that the appeal for me too and why I'm interested in the Tamyia rock crawler as apparently the kit contains thousands of parts and is a mamoth build  :bounce:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal