UKBouldering.com

Rates for articles and photos in climbing magazines (Read 3304 times)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Are the rates that all the climbing magazines pay for articles and photos common knowledge?
If anyone knows the rates could they PM me or post up please? Interested in all and any climbing magazines.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You should be getting 10p per word for articles, and £60 per page for photos. In the past they used to be pretty open about rates, nowadays more and more stuff is getting haggled over as budgets are tight, eg reviews in return for the gear. Not unusual to not get paid for extended captions up to ~500 words, get paid months later, or not get paid at all. At least they can't lose your slides any more. As both Uk mags are now run by photographers, your shots will have to compete with their files.

Not all bad though - if you can put a good feature together - say six pages, 2000 words plus pics, it should earn £400+. If you bag the cover too that's another £150ish.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Not bad. I seem to remember that Alpinist paid the big bucks? What about the other American mags?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Supposedly they all pay much better than the UK, though I've not had much in 'em. I recently got $200 for a postage stamp in Outside though.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Nice was it a

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Alpinist pay $250 for a full page photo. Nice. http://www.alpinist.com/p//magazine/contribute/photography

Anyone know what they pay per word?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
word. Although if it's Ireland and bouldering related stuff then you may have better chances with Climbing & Rock and Ice. Worth a shot though.

AndyR

• forum hero
word. Although if it's Ireland and bouldering related stuff then you may have better chances with Climbing & Rock and Ice. Worth a shot though.
I dunno - the walk into the top of Glenmac feels quite alpine...

El Mocho

• forum abuser
$0.25 per word

Think this reflects the struggle all the printed press are having, I wrote a little piece for Alpinist a few years back and got 40 cents per word. Is the 10p per word thing in the uk less than before? Had a feeling it used to be 20p?

As both Uk mags are now run by photographers, your shots will have to compete with their files.

Just depends how good your photos are word, they only except real quality images now  :whistle: (possibly getting first image of mine in mag next month)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I don't think rates in the Uk have ever got passed 10p/ word. Though Greenshires never used to provide a breakdown on the remittance.

chillax

• forum abuser
I dunno - the walk into the top of Glenmac feels quite alpine...

Try Binnian North Tor! Theres a reason all the Mournes climbers eventually turn into hill runners.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal