UKBouldering.com

Essential Yorkshires (Read 12111 times)

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#25 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 11:57:53 am
right, i can see where this is going, im sacking off the bouldering and goig on a tour of yorkshire eateries.

I have a breakfast project- £5 otley cafe brekkie
An evening meal freestyle challenge at the cheerfull chilli

All i need now is a tricky burger van lunch project and my week will be compete.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#26 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 01:08:56 pm
As an aside from the "must do's" already described, I'd recommend Shipley Glen (stop laughing at the back....). 

It's not somewhere you would make a special effort to visit BUT it's west-facing and sheltered (the crag is sunk below the brow of a steep glen).  So it's a good option for windy days when recent rain rules out the north facing likes of Caley etc (Brimham is also largely west facing but can stay damp and fog-bound).  It's got as much quality below f7a+ as any other crag in the area too - Red Baron, Vim, Daz, Mansons Wall, Green Traverse, Millstone.  A better option than Ilkley any day of the week ( I live in Ilkley and can't recall the last time I bouldered there).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 01:40:52 pm

All i need now is a tricky burger van lunch project and my week will be compete.

Burger Van at Ilkley? What made John Dunne the man he is!

You could try doing a double Betty's challenge? Morning Cake at Betty's in Ilkley, climb in at Ilkley, cake at Betty's in Harrogate, climb at Brimham. Although you might get kicked out for looking like a scruff amongst the blue rinse brigade.

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 02:29:24 pm

Burger Van at Ilkley? What made John Dunne the man he is!

You could try doing a double Betty's challenge? Morning Cake at Betty's in Ilkley, climb in at Ilkley, cake at Betty's in Harrogate, climb at Brimham. Although you might get kicked out for looking like a scruff amongst the blue rinse brigade.

Dont forget to stop at the Wetherby Whaler en route from Almsliffstershire up to Slipstonesville...

I think this thread should be re-named Essential Yorkshires (aka eating trip for Krank) :)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#29 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 02:59:07 pm
On a Shipley tip, if you're headed over that way me and Mrs Z found a nice bakery place in Saltaire the other weekend that sells some top pastry-based goods and looks like it does some hefty takeout rolls and all.

Located here:

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#30 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 03:03:50 pm
You need to try the black pudding and apple pork pies from the farm shop next to the hunters inn near the cliff, one of the best things you will ever eat.  I say that without an ounce of hyperbole

metal arms

• menacing presence
#31 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 03:32:47 pm
You need to try the black pudding and apple pork pies from the farm shop next to the hunters inn near the cliff, one of the best things you will ever eat.  I say that without an ounce of hyperbole

The hyperbole makes them all soggy.  Get some pickle on it instead.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#32 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 02, 2012, 04:12:39 pm

I highly recommend the date slices from there too: the densest dessert items known to man.  Tasty and capable of weighting down a bouldering mat in the fiercest of Almscliff winds.  The excuse I give to myself for succumbing is that, as they're made from dates and oats, they're practically health-food (fruit and porridge innit?).  Best sampled after bunging in an oven a while to crispen the oaty outer into a flapjacky crumble and served with custard...hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

As for Betty's in Ilkley: responsible for getting me through an incalculable number of bad work days.  It's my "Breakfast at Tiffany's"; whenever I have the "mean reds" I pop in for some high-class carry-out cakeage and reassurance that civilisation abides (at £2 it's cheaper than Prozac).  It's just a bonus that the curd tarts and fat rascals are fantastic too (and I'm already looking forward to the Easter simnel versions of the fat rascals).

andy_e

• forum hero
#33 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 01:21:35 pm
Is the farm shop any good now it's re-opened?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#34 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 01:54:37 pm

I've always rated the meat you can get there - fantastically thick pork chops and sausages perfect for a toad in the hole.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#35 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 02:21:19 pm

The cakes and prepackaged stock are identical.  From what I can see the meat is from the same suppliers too.  It just seems to have had a refurb, rather than any change in produce

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#36 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 02:30:25 pm
If you get a shit weather day I would suggest linking the depot up with a Bradford curry. Akbars is pretty close but to be honest you will struggle not to get an amazing curry in bradford.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
#37 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 04:32:38 pm
come on fella's, this is getting silly now. 2 pages and not a single chip shop recommendation

I'm dispointed

Dolly

• forum hero
#38 Re: Essential Yorkshires
February 03, 2012, 04:38:11 pm
Sorry mate  :-[
The last time I went the chippy in Otley near The Junction was pretty good.

The Junction is obviously a pub you might want to visit as well

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal