UKBouldering.com

pullup bar exercises variations etc (Read 1663 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 25, 2012, 06:18:41 pm
does anybody have ideas for useful bar exercises other than basic pullups and front lever?

or even variations in terms of speed, reps/rests, etc.

(forced to do some work @home over the next few days, the bar is on the way to the bathroom and i might dedicate 1 minute every time i pass below it...)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 25, 2012, 06:22:34 pm
asymmetric pull ups.
otherwise for some time I've trained speed: max number of pull ups in 10 seconds, keep going until you can do no more than half of the max you've done.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 25, 2012, 06:39:36 pm
I put a chair about 1m away from the bar/fingerboard and do 1 arm feet on pull ups/rolling action pullups if that makes sense (as in curling your body around under the one arm...)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#3 Re: pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 25, 2012, 07:14:10 pm
- One arm pull-ups with assistance
- One arm lock offs
- French pullups (count to 3-5 at hanging,90degs, full lock, 90deg etc)
- Travelling pullups - moving side to side touching chin on each hand
- Power pulls - fast as possible on way up and lower slowly
- Weighted pull ups - using weight belt
- Offset pull ups with sling or bungee for other hand

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#4 Re: pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 26, 2012, 10:34:43 am
- Offset pull ups with sling or bungee for other hand

or a towell.

jakes

• regular
#5 Re: pullup bar exercises variations etc
January 26, 2012, 02:03:45 pm
For a general beasting:
French-Typewriter pull-ups in L-Hang, i.e. counting 3-5 seconds on right, 3-5 seconds middle and 3-5 seconds left (go back and forth 2-3 times  or more for a set). At each side centralise your weight under that hand and try to take as much weight on that hand as possible i.e. 1 arm locking. Do at least 3 sets at different lock-offs, i.e. first set at 135 degrees, second at 90 degrees and third set at full lock.

For deep lock training:
I've found this very useful (it's very good if you've got short arms and have to maximise your reach!):
Pull to full lock for 1-2 seconds (visually mark the point on the wall in front of you with your eyes), pull deeper (mark the spot again) and pull deeper again). After a while, that 'visual mark' will get higher up the wall. It seems to be a good exercise but buggers the elbows if care isn't taken (speaking from experience).

Front lever cheating/progression tip:
If you're trying to progress to front levers and getting close (or just want to hold one for longer) try pinching the front of the pull-up bar with your thumbs- take's some of the strain off your back, making them easier to hold. Also using the same principle on a fingerboard:  instead of using your thumbs utilise the palm of your hands to 'pinch' against the board on a decent (reasonably fat) sloper.

Core exercise (only applicable if you have friends and non-minging feet; maybe these to things are related?), a.k.a. Core Send-me:
From a vertical hanging position on the bar get a mate to hold out a hand and you have to reach up and touch it with your foot/feet. You go back to vertical and they move their hands and repeat etc. As always, maintaining good form and doing in control etc. etc. is essential!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal