UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 486379 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
no, the mark of an idiot.

dave

going for bully special prize.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac

River of life today

Wouldn't brush off; won't get rained off; not even pointing at the good bit  :spank:

This was it a little time previous (at night so apologies for the poor image) as you can see it was in fact worse, the tail of the arrow extended pretty much the full width of the flake/feature you hug (what is the correct term for this I wonder)

dave

Walked past mossattrocity last night. Covered in tickmarks. Looks real classy, thanks.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Seems to be a lot of it about these days. Even Stanton-in-the-Woods was plastered in lines the other day (Eyes to the Skies, Hangman and Lean-to).

Two words: TOOTHBRUSH and WATER, please!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:26:15 pm by Bonjoy »

leeroy

• forum abuser
that end of stanton was plastered a few days before. seems to have grown in popularity and therefore chalk...

cofe

• forum hero
nice big lines under the footholds on the easy traverse on Ben's Wall block at the Stride yesterday.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Idiots! At least its easy to wash of :whistle:

cofe

• forum hero
with piss?  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
That'd work, (although obviously water would be preferable as its not an awkward spot to reach).

tomtom

• forum hero
nice big lines under the footholds on the easy traverse on Ben's Wall block at the Stride yesterday.

Fuckers. Some wankers washed off the numbers I'd carefully placed (in Gothic no less) next to each one of those tick marks. Tsk.

cofe

• forum hero
That'd work, (although obviously water would be preferable as its not an awkward spot to reach).

It's OK, I know what you meant.

tomtom

• forum hero
From Harmers wood today. Most of it pretty pointless. The letters were scratched in presumably by the nobs who had a party there and left a load of glass/litter. The tckmarks/chalk were I assume from climbers. Mostly pointless.

Sam

• addict
some spark has scratched the legend "HOMMO HADRY" by the belay bolts of Little Plum.  Most likely to be by a climber because it's right next to the bolt and what scallies are going to go up there for some ad-hoc graffiti? It's not very deep and will probably disappear after a winter of run off. But, if this was you, don't be such a dick in future.

leeroy

• forum abuser
some spark has scratched the legend "HOMMO HADRY" by the belay bolts of Little Plum.  Most likely to be by a climber because it's right next to the bolt and what scallies are going to go up there for some ad-hoc graffiti? It's not very deep and will probably disappear after a winter of run off. But, if this was you, don't be such a dick in future.

saw this in april and was tempted to put a photo on here, as you said at least it looks like it will wear off.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
Kudos wall is looking a bit of a mess with tick marks at the moment, particularly Miller's Tale and the footholds on Kudos. Unfortunately my brush was rapidly losing bristles, so I felt I might be doing more harm than good scrubbing them off!

dave

I wish idiots would realise tickmarks on crags which never receive direct rainfall WILL NOT WASH OFF ON THEIR OWN. similarly the right hand side of terrace under the roof was a chalky mess last night.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Dave Thomas said there's a bad example marking the jug in the break of Skinless Wonder at the moment

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Any French speakers care to give a precis of the post?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
okay, he has a lot to say (and very little specifically about the abuse of chalk although the relatively little frequented - but highly rated- Dampierre-Maincourt is singled out in this regard and photo included) but the general gist is this:

The website is dedicated to preserving the crag environment and does not deal with bouldering itself- though it's by and for boulderers.

There's a shocking amount of detritus out there. he apologises for not updating recently, it's because he's been on holiday - and finds himself and his pals utterly disgusted by the state of the boulders on his return - on this occasion Bas-Cuvier. Problems include litter, chalk, used toilet-tissue, used condoms, and those (of various persuasions) in the act of creating used condoms - not a suitable environment for anyone let alone the youngsters for whom these areas are often an intro to the sport. He'd like the authorities to get a grip, particularly those who use the woods for sex.

They may be about to get support from a major sports retailer who has put forward start of September for a crag clean-up day. He, his pals and various Parisian climbing clubs have had four clean-up days since April this year, removing an average of 250kg of rubbish each time ie 1 tonne shifted so far, added to the 14 tonnes already removed from the car-parks this year by the Forestry Service. As the editor of the Bleausard mag writes - 'wake up, numbnuts' it's time to protect our playground!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Thanks

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
saw some walkers at burbage bridge on saturday who found a chalk bag on the floor... they emptied the contents out into the wind.... also went to try wss and somebody had obviously tried to dry the lowest part of the rigtht hand rail by chalking it to death... tried to brush it off.  :chair:

old cheese

• obsessive maniac
  • does my arse look big in this
saw some walkers at burbage bridge on saturday who found a chalk bag on the floor... they emptied the contents out into the wind.... also went to try wss and somebody had obviously tried to dry the lowest part of the rigtht hand rail by chalking it to death... tried to brush it off.  :chair:

I saw them too, that was ashes they were spreading!

Saw the chalk on WSS too. That was some guys just before us, I couldn't reach the hold to brush it. Weirdly it was a hold you don't use and it was bone dry

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal