UKBouldering.com

Donkey line / tick mark hall of shame. (Read 483618 times)

dave

SHIIIIIT! That's a bad fall for a "safe" route. Didn't Steve Mac do this with 3 ropes to insure against this happening?

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
Ouch. Steve McClure definitely had 3 ropes as I remember the comment in the video of him doing it. Pearson had 2, but I think they were pretty skinny and he didn't fall.

Get well soon Michele, nasty fall to take.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Two different routes there. Edale MRT not quite on the ball with hard grit aretes ;)

Falling off The New Statesman and landing in the Peak is a nasty fall indeed.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
IIRC Michele fell off The New Statesman before placing the first protection. Close call that one. This one is terrifying.

csl

• junky
In case you couldn't see the giant jug, some helpful tickmarks from Eridge  >:(

Southern sandstone seems to suffer particularly badly from tickmarking hordes, even more frustrating as its often too soft to feel comfortable cleaning them off!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
It's the proximity to London: the broiling epicentre of twat behaviour.

csl

• junky
I feel like an old man saying it, but i think its a 'wall-bred' climber issue. But as a full-blown, card-carrying London twat, I admit it could just be that too.

Durbs

• forum hero
I feel like an old man saying it, but i think its a 'wall-bred' climber issue. But as a full-blown, card-carrying London twat, I admit it could just be that too.

Yep - I'd say more wall-bred than Londoner (I'm in Surrey - much more civilised...).
Seeing ticks on indoor routes is pretty special, though if you need them to find a coloured hold, I imagine having a sandstone coloured jug must require two.  :wank:

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
as a full-blown, card-carrying London twat

wMickey

• regular
Instagram post so can't work out how to embed it but this struck me as pretty awful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZwMms5lMo6/

Wood FT

• forum hero
Probably needs a few more there it seems...

andy popp

• forum hero
Instagram post so can't work out how to embed it but this struck me as pretty awful.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZwMms5lMo6/

Especially combined with all the bollocks about "flow."

andy_e

• forum hero
Flow doesn't occur randomly at all. She needs a word with professors Froude and Reynolds.

Wil

• obsessive maniac
    • Wil Treasure
I snuck around the woods in the Forest of Dean a couple of weeks back to try Labour of Love. Disappointed to see it ticked to pieces. There are a few hard to see footholds under the overlaps, but every hold on the route was ticked! Brushed them off, but didn't have a camera handy.

It's a good, if quirky, route if anyone is down that way. Think Nesscliffe meets valleys sandstone.

kelvin

• forum hero

Dunno how to link it in properly but this needs showing on repeat at every climbing wall.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:58:21 pm by kelvin »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
Rob Greenwood has added a gallery to UKC for this sort of thing and some of the entries are absolutely vile. I think the worst is the attempted drying of Zippy's with chalk:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=302878

I'm seething.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
 :slap:
There's an article due shortly which should help.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
Grim reaper at new mills an absolute disgrace yesterday.  A load of foot long arrows presumably drawn by dabbing a chalk ball repeatedly against the rock and in case they still couldn't see the footholds they had underlined all the good edges. Brushed most of it off, hopefully restoring my karma for pulling a hold of bionics wall.  :(

Anyone know what happened with the big block that has come of bionics wall? Hopefully no one was climbing it sat the time! Weirdly it seems to have been taken away as it was nowhere in sight.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
I reported this to Punterwatch the other day. The Sugarloaf boulder at Caley. On the side that faces the bridleway. Written in climbing chalk, so obviously done by climbers. Obviously this sort of thing normalises the view that the rock is a canvas for scratching in your initials/marriage proposal or whatever. Incredibly stupid. Fortunately I had a hand brush in the bag and it came off very nicely with some washing.

https://twitter.com/PunterWatchUK/status/1032169573192269825

Durbs

• forum hero
Written in climbing chalk, so obviously done by climbers.

Not necessarily, climbers aren't averse to letting lumps of chalk fall out their bucket/bag and not put them back in.
So still, could've been avoided had they not, but would be surprised if it was actually climbers doing the "art".

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones

Not necessarily, climbers aren't averse to letting lumps of chalk fall out their bucket/bag and not put them back in.
So still, could've been avoided had they not, but would be surprised if it was actually climbers doing the "art".

I'd be amazed if it wasn't climbers.

tomtom

• forum hero

I'd be amazed if it wasn't climbers.

Something you aren’t telling us Will? ;)

Time for an identity parade.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
There can't be that many Nick and Holls in Yorkshire who have only just started climbing.

tomtom

• forum hero

(Obvs graffiti is bad - v bad - but identity parade reminded me of this :D)

andy_e

• forum hero
It could just as easily be non-climbers as climbers. There's often plenty of bits of chalk knocking around that area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal