UKBouldering.com

Big bouldering pads, which one to buy??? (Read 13516 times)

chaude

• regular
Big bouldering pads, which one to buy???
January 27, 2012, 01:03:04 am
I'm considering buying a bouldering mat in the near future, and have been pondering about the Beal Big air.

My mate's got the big Moon one but it doesn't seem to fold down that small, the Beal seems to fold to a more manageable size.

Has anyone used other makes like Edelrid or metolius, and how do their pads do?

Thanks a lot
Adrian

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Big bouldering pads, which one to buy???
January 27, 2012, 07:52:53 am
My big mat is a Mad Rock tri-fold, not sure of the model.
(they call it a Tri-fold but it's three sections, so folds twice... Surely a Bi-fold?).
Anyway, it's great. Small enough when folded, huge when open, thick enough for hard landings. Converts into a free standing seat, long enough to be used as a camp bed for two.
Gets my vote.

schloosh

• addict
    • Kirklees Climbing
I've got a Metolius Recon, had it for a couple of months and really like it. Landing area seems huge compared to normal size mats.
Folds twice concertina style, foam is triple layer and seems pretty good when landing on it from height.
Easy to walk with due to the way it folds, no getting stuck in kissing gates and styles.

What I would say is that any big mats are going to be harder to transport that smaller mats, check out the size of your car boot.
I drive a Passat Estate and the Recon only just fits in the boot.

dave

On the subject of big mats, I might be getting a passat saloon soon so might get something bigger than the standard pod. So looking for something big but not so big that you think twice about taking it out. Ideally can live in the car boot. Gotta fold with the mud on the inside, and longevity of the foam is crucial. And ideally not one where the manufacturer has to resort to wrapping the foam in a binbag.

Any ideas?

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
All the Metolius mats i've ever used have been bobbins. Never liked the hinge design, and the foam seem really soft/thin/shit.

Moon pads seem to hold their own pretty well, and have the dirt cover thing over the straps. Never seen anything that actually folds with dirt on the inside though, i don't think.

What i've seen of the Edelrid pads is great though. Good foam - 4 layers of it i believe - apparently waterproof outer, very good padded and sturdy looking straps, and if you get the Deadpoint or Mantle, you get the sit-start pad thrown in.
My next pad will definitely be one of these.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
On the subject of big mats, I might be getting a passat saloon soon so might get something bigger than the standard pod. So looking for something big but not so big that you think twice about taking it out. Ideally can live in the car boot. Gotta fold with the mud on the inside, and longevity of the foam is crucial. And ideally not one where the manufacturer has to resort to wrapping the foam in a binbag.

Any ideas?

A big Pod (although if they're like the smaller ones then it won't meet your criteria of folding with mud on the inside).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Our Franklin Dropzone is still going strong, although it doesn't get much use of late :(

Dave, I can't think of many where you could fold to get the mud on the inside. may be worth investing in a cheap tarp if you want to keep the boot clean.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Moon pads seem to hold their own pretty well, and have the dirt cover thing over the straps. Never seen anything that actually folds with dirt on the inside though, i don't think.
:???: Moon pads fold with dirt on the inside!

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
 the mud on the inside was the idea when i swapped the foam around on my dropzone when i got it 5-6 years ago, so the blue side is now face down and black/high dense foam side up. the straps can get in the way at times but can easily be removed. so the muddy side is now on the inside

i hear that moon cottoned onto my way of thinking and now make their pads this way  :)

dave

I know moon and big pods fold with mud inside. More worried about keeping my snappy duds clean than the car boot, especially since a big mat usually necessitates rucksac style carriage.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You could make a tarp poncho? I reckon you could rock that look!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
And ideally not one where the manufacturer has to resort to wrapping the foam in a binbag.

I had a job for a while stuffing pads with foam. The bags just make it easier to get the foam into the cover, I don't see why they would have any bearing on the quality of the foam.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
:???: Moon pads fold with dirt on the inside!

Oh yeah... must lay off the crack... (til midday at least).
The fact that the straps are on the landing side is backwards to me this morning.

Still, i'd rather have an Edelrid, if only because i understand how they work.
I think.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Big bouldering pads, which one to buy???
January 27, 2012, 11:29:32 am
Snap bun has served me well.. Tarp style base and folds muddy side in. Seems like you can't get em here any more though.. :/ I can get a bun and calzone in the boot of a golf..

dave

And ideally not one where the manufacturer has to resort to wrapping the foam in a binbag.

I had a job for a while stuffing pads with foam. The bags just make it easier to get the foam into the cover, I don't see why they would have any bearing on the quality of the foam.

I heard it was also to safeguard against shortcomings in the quality and water repellancy of the outer. Might be bollox though. I do know that some placcy-wrapped mats tend to roll around under your feet on sloping landings.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just build a patio :clown:

chaude

• regular
Gosh, I guess the big air will be the one for me then, can't afford a big metolius and don't know where to get a mad rock!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#17 Big bouldering pads, which one to buy???
January 27, 2012, 08:49:31 pm
Seems the Mad rock dealer in the UK is ..

http://www.dboutdoor.com/

Never used 'em though, bought mine in BCN.

It's called a Triple Mad Pad, apparently.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
As already mentioned, all Moon pads, the big POD, most Snap pads, the big Wild Country pad, all have the dirt on the inside, but the Moon probably has the best method of dealing with the straps. The covering flap/carpet cover is simpler than strap removal.

I don't know of anyone who has used a Beal one, so I don't have any opinion. Ask the guys at v12. They stock them so will have an opinion. They might suggest the Metolius, or Edelrid might be better, but I'd guess the Beal is pretty good.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I've got a Beal Big Air. It's does indeed fold up surprisingly small- folds into three with one hingey bit and one 'taco' bit and fits in the boot of my 02 Micra with the seats up, which is impressive considering it's so big in use.

The payoff for this is that it's longer and narrower than comparable mats and isn't as thick as a DMM or Moon equivalent. I'm happy bouldering on my own with it though and the foam shows no sign of going soft.

With it being longer than the average mat you can use it as a mattress too. It's exactly the same size as the floor of a Macpac Minaret!

The corner reinforcements are pretty lame though and assuming you use the harder side at the top (I always do) the dirty side is the one that's to your back on the walk out, which is a shame as it's an unwieldy thing to be carrying around suitcase style. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal