UKBouldering.com

Molds for breaking in new shoes (Read 8239 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 12:55:47 pm
Has anyone ever made or considered making molds to break in new shoes?

I'm seriously considering trying it.. I have a new pair of shoes that are quite tight above the big toe knuckle but are fine everywhere else. The area that needs stretching is covered in rubber (they are scarpa instinct slippers), so I know it's going to be a long, painful break-in period.

(I'd buy the shoes in a bigger size but because they are slippers it'd make the shoe useless as the heel would be pants. I've got the lace-up version 1.5 sizes bigger and the heel's a bit slack (mainly width wise) but not really a problem because the laces keep the shoe on)

So I'm thinking of making molds of my feet with my toes scrunched and my foot in an edging position (bent at second joint) to keep inside the shoes. I know I can just wear them climbing to break them in, I've had enough shoes now that I'm confident that they'd loosen up eventually but I've got to the point where I just can't be bothered to endure the pain of breaking them in any more.

Who thinks this will work? Getting the shoes warm in the oven, before slipping them on the molds would help I reckon..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#1 Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 01:40:03 pm
End of a wooden broom handle, brush on ground; use rounded end of handle by pushing down the point to be stretched against it. (handle inside shoe).Use roughly circular motion to stretch out the spot, don't over do it!

cha1n

• forum hero
#2 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 01:44:42 pm
Thanks, I'll try first!

I know it sounds like lots of effort but one set of foot molds to break in the rest of your shoes for life (or until the mold breaks) is probably worth it!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 03:43:27 pm
The problem with the bespoke foot mould solution, is that feet are flexible, and different boots will position your toes and respective toe knuckles differently.. you could (I suppose) make a mould for one brand/type of boots..

Its probably easier to MTFU and wear them around the house while watching TV etc.. a few times to get em bedded in...

cha1n

• forum hero
#4 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 03:51:53 pm
Ha, you're probably right.. Hadn't thought about different toe positions and have no idea how you'd go about making custom molds.

I don't find that wearing around the house does much due to discomfort only occurring when edging.

Might try putting some time in with the broom handle (to stretch the shoes of course)..

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 03:59:24 pm
Has anyone tried using shoe stretchers?  Models for increasing the length and width of shoes cost £10-30 e.g.:

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Deluxe-Shoe-Stretcher/Product1_22051_-1_31412_10551

There might be problems fitting them into very asymmetric shoes but probably worth a try if the alternatives involve the bin or broomhandles.   

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#6 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 05:27:15 pm
Try warming your shoe up in a zip-lock bag and a pan of hot water (don't leave it in there for more than 30 secs or the glue will begin to melt)

If you wear it with a pair of socks then the shoe will stretch to your foot and not the shape of the shoe stretcher.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#7 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 07:44:18 pm
I use to put some good shoe tree's in my new boots which worked well.
Now I'm older I buy my shoes the correct size

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#8 Molds for breaking in new shoes
December 30, 2011, 08:13:36 pm
I use to put some good shoe tree's in my new boots which worked well.
Now I'm older I buy my shoes the correct size

Ha ha 8) :)

ghisino

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
January 05, 2012, 11:06:19 am
Has anyone ever made or considered making molds to break in new shoes?

I'm seriously considering trying it.. I have a new pair of shoes that are quite tight above the big toe knuckle but are fine everywhere else. The area that needs stretching is covered in rubber (they are scarpa instinct slippers), so I know it's going to be a long, painful break-in period.

2 tips

1) take a square of kitchen paper, fold it a few times to form a thick and narrow strip, wrap that over your knuckle (or wherever you feel a tight spot). Plastic bag over foot, slip in the shoe, fasten laces/velcros, stand on toes and flex your forefoot as for a smear, as long as you can stand the pain.
2)While wearing the boot (barefoot), sand down the rubber on the painful spot a little bit. (don't overdo it)

whenever i buy shoes that need an initial stretch i usually wear them at home with a thick sock and a plastic bag first, then refine it with 1) and only rarely with 2)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
January 05, 2012, 11:17:51 am
I once filled a broken-in boot with plaster in the hope of making a susbtitute foot for breaking in shoes. It didn't work.

I tend to buy shoes half a size bigger now - partly due to Five-ten changing the sizes, partly cos I can't be arsed breaking them in, and partly because I tend to have more than one pair on the go at a time, hence less need for one shoe to do everything.

cha1n

• forum hero
#11 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
January 05, 2012, 12:30:33 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I actually sent the shoes back in the end. After wearing a few pairs of my shoes that fit, I've decided that it's madness to wear a painful pair of shoes when there are brands that fit me perfectly.

Just frustrating that I can't find a slipper that fits me well that has toe rubber.

jern

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
January 05, 2012, 04:37:30 pm
The method i've used for 15 years is as follows:

1. warm shoes up (on radiator is OK)
2.  steam insides of shoes using a kettle (allow to cool to prevent burns during stage 4)
3. plastic bags on feet
4. feet in boots - they should slide in no problem
5. Keep the boots on ideally until they dry, you'll feel them shrinking and will mould to your feet.

I did this the other day with a pair of Optimus Primes (ie lots of rubber over the toe) and they went from being almost inwearable to fitting like a, erm, glove?

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#13 Re: Molds for breaking in new shoes
January 12, 2012, 12:06:23 pm
Has anyone tried using shoe stretchers?  Models for increasing the length and width of shoes cost £10-30 e.g.:

http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Deluxe-Shoe-Stretcher/Product1_22051_-1_31412_10551

There might be problems fitting them into very asymmetric shoes but probably worth a try if the alternatives involve the bin or broomhandles.

yes and it works OK for me, used an Ikea spring version as opposed to the fancy expensive ones to comfortise my last pair of VCS, I do hovever reccomend regular checks of them so as not to overdo it ... oddly I have never had to do this with the Anasazi greens as I have managed to find perfect fits out of the box (after trying a few pairs ...)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal