UKBouldering.com

Were you taking photos at Stanage Plantation today? (Read 8811 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Someone was wandering around today at Plantation and took a few snaps of me on Green Traverse. If it was you is there any chance I could get a few of the shots?

Cheers
James

dave

It was paul mitchell. Assuming you mean the balding guy with the yellow/orange down jacket.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:09:06 pm by dave »

James Malloch

• forum hero
Yeah that's the man thank you! Is he a member on here?

dave

don't know, think he's more a UKC kinda guy.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Yeah that's the man thank you! Is he a member on here?

You always could try the members list.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
His profile shows that he's not logged in since July 2010 so even though he does have an account here I wouldn't assume that he would see this.

James Malloch

• forum hero
I checked the list but wasn't sure which profile it was. Thanks though!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I checked the list but wasn't sure which profile it was. Thanks though!

My (slightly educated) guess would be its paulmitch .  From that profile page there is a link to message him, if you're lucky his account will be configured to have messages forwarded to his email address (the default I believe) and he'll still be using the same email account as when he registered.

James Malloch

• forum hero
I looked at that and PaulM, the first had an 'i' between paul and mitch though and I didn't want to send it to a random person. I'll drop him a line though cheers :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
You're trying to contact someone you don't know, got to be ready to accept some false-positives otherwise you'll never succeed!

dave

Just stick an advert on ukc looking for a partner to do steep cracks with L and R chalked all the way up

James Malloch

• forum hero
Managed to get in touch now thanks! Don't quite understand the last post  dave though...

James Malloch

• forum hero
Recieved two emails. What an, erm.....charming man :/

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Was he asking you to sign a model release form as he intends to publish the pictures?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Managed to get in touch now thanks! Don't quite understand the last post  dave though...
hes is on about this
here is one of the pictures.

he is also known for doing this:

That guy likes his chalk and whenever he is questions he rants/claims rock looks better painted white  .... Not met him seems like a bit of a douche from his internet goings on. I am sure hes a nice person in real life
:tumble:

James Malloch

• forum hero
No, I got told the time.
I got told time is money.
The time again.
That I was egotistic.
I only contacted him because I wanted something.
And to go back and work the problem...

As I only politely asked for a copy. He was told to get down from his high horse, find some bloody manners and not to bother taking photos of people if he doesn't want requests for a copy.

And wow, that is some good chalking!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Could probably have got an inlking of his slanted take on life from his UKC profile  :lol:

Quote from: Paul Mitchell
Anything Else We Should Know
 Climbing is an art,sometimes a transcendental art.It is best performed as dance,or as near dance as you can.

If you can't do the move,then become the person who CAN do the move.
 Have a read of Paul Reps' book Zen Flesh,Zen Bones,or anything by Thich Nat Han.

The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra is also worth a read,as is Letting Go(of the person you used to be),by Surya Das.Colin Mortlock's Beyond Adventure is worth a read.

Some crags should have the occasional route name written on a notice on a post near the start of the route,to help find the blighters.

TO THE CRITICS:Some people on this site seem to think their criticisms/nagging are going to change the way I climb.Think on.Issuing fatwas to name and shame me
 just shows how conformist and anal some people can be.
 British climbing as yet has no legal written rules,and long may it stay that way.
 GRADES:Yes,grade debates can be pretty boring,but my chief concern is to let people know my opinion,which is intended to keep them away from routes that may be too hard for them.You may swear blind something is VS and I will insist it's hvs.No point in saying that ''everyone'' disagrees with me.

AGE:I know two older climbers who used to top rope and preplace a lot of hard routes in the E4/5 range,and they didn't care who knew it.I will not be naming them.They were two of the best climbers in their generation;both famous.Last year they failed to lead a hvs on Burbage,which I soloed;so ,yes,I am still competitive,despite being in my 6th decade.
 John Dewey said '' Neglect of context is the greatest single disaster which philosophic thinking can incur''.
 Being older and weaker means that I have to ''cheat'' to get up some routes.
 That is my business and none of yours,as long as I don't harm the rock.
 A few years ago I went to the SW to do Kafoozalem and two guys spent 6 hours working Kafoozalem,and wouldn't let me on the route.They didn't get halfway.That is their right.That's a lot worse than pre chalking a route.This is a rainy country and chalk soon washes off.Some people have a Pavlovian response of frothing at the mouth when they see a photo of my chalk.The photo may be permanent,but the chalk isn't.
 When I have the energy I will wipe it off.If there is no time,it will stay on.
 I like to try and get up a route in one day.Having to go back is a ball ache and is expensive in fuel ,effort and time,and does nothing to help global warming.If I want to pre chalk a route that is my business.I am coming up to 56.Few people my age do hard routes on sight.Many routes
 are plastered in chalk anyway;so what if I add a bit more?Ask yourself why you feel the need to have a go at me.What does that say about you?

I removed a situ wire from Wellington crack and also cleaned some of the finishing holds.It's not black and white.Livesey top roped it to death and still used aid on his first ascent.You are welcome to have an opinion,but not to make snide remarks based on one or two events;as if I always climb the same way.I often solo routes most people can't lead, on sight.As I suffer increasingly from arthritis,shoulder and wrist injuries,I think it perfectly ok to preinspect and prechalk.
 Climbing for me is about escaping the societal restraints we suffer in an
 increasingly conservative and conformist Britain.Millions of cubic metres of rock are scoured from mountains and in Derbyshire every year in mining,but do you complain?No.

As for the people who post messages using a nickname,I have little or no respect for them when the tone is critical.Why do you not have the self respect and self confidence to use your real name?A guy recently introduced himself to me at the crag by his UKC nickname,and didn't tell me his real name.Feeble.

I have climbed with some of the best climbers of the last 40 years and been inspired by them.They might have taken the piss,but none of them were overly critical.They know you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

If you rabid critics really want to make a point to me about how impressive your ethics are,why not come soloing with me on Stanage or Burbage south?
 Even if you managed to burn me off,I would still reply that my climbing style is my own business,and congratulate you on your ability.
 MATS:Another form of preinspection.Top roped routes that are then soloed matless
 are bolder because the ground fall is more dangerous matless.Matting routes means you haven't taken the final challenge of the poss matless deck out.Mats are safer than no mats,so the route is less of a challenge.My opinion.If you can't do it without the mat and someone else did,they are better than you.I occasionally use a mat.If it's on a pre mat route,I know I am lowering the grade.Why say otherwise?Just excuses.

Observe what is happening in YOUR mind at this very moment.That is the path to wisdom.Try to be more helpful and less critical.

If you want to know who I am,then arrange to meet.Rumour and hearsay are usually well wide of the mark.
 If you have an ill friend or family member,go and visit them.

Now in my 6th decade and I find myself really struggling to do pull ups.Weak as a kitten compared to when I was putting up hard new routes easily.

Will work on the pull ups but all that lives is born to die,and getting weaker is part of that.

That is some  :furious:

rootask

• regular
I was there on the saturday and a guy described him to me and tom as 'a known wierdo'. which seems farily accurate

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Not seen that profile before, that's some serious soapboxing.

James Malloch

• forum hero
He finally sent the photo the other day, and called the photo something along the lines of 'The Green Faggot'.

This man gets strange kicks...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Post it up then!

dave

He finally sent the photo the other day, and called the photo something along the lines of 'The Green Faggot'.

This man gets strange kicks...

Mental.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Paul's always been sound with me, so I shall continue to return the compliment.

He's right about Fritjof Capra, btw, worth looking at, you don't have to automatically agree with him. (I always meant to read The Turning Point, seems quite apposite right now). You read that or Gary Zukov Slackers, seems like your turf if I'm not mistaken?

Sorry James that's got nothing to do with your thread. Doesn't sound like your communications with Paul have been great, shame really.

Red

• addict
Could probably have got an inlking of his slanted take on life from his UKC profile  :lol:

Quote from: Paul Mitchell
my chief concern is to let people know my opinion,which is intended to keep them away from routes that may be too hard for them.

That is some  :furious:

what a dick

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal