UKBouldering.com

Petzl statement on a special use of the Petzl Shunt (Read 4784 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Johnny Brown

• forum hero

petejh

• forum hero
I predict lots of access companies ditching Shunts ASAP    8)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
This is commonsense isn't it? It only applies when on the move where advice has been to have a single strand of cord pinched between finger and thumb - quite likely to be dislodged in the event of sudden movement, albeit not guaranteed.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I predict lots of access companies ditching Shunts ASAP    8)
If only it was so simple. The problem (apart from IRATA's failure to produce any guidance info to companies yet, despite having ended discussions with Petzl in mid Dec) is that there is no alternative device which doesn't generate its own set of problems. The most likely candidate is the Petzl ASAP but there is quite a lot of resistance (for various technical reasons) among access workers to adoption of it as a backup device. Companies who use subcontracted labour, like the one I work for, are loathe to order people to fork out for new kit they don't want to use, which also requires a complete re-train (as far as I can gather) i.e. a big layout of cash, when the end result will most likely be, if anything no change in work related accidents or maybe even an increase! But we may have to. My current plan is to get people to ditch the tow cord for now and then switch to an alternative device at their next IRATA upgrade/re-train. This maybe insufficient to cover our arses, hopefully the promised info from IRATA will bring some clarity.

<only spotted your blatant pun after I'd wrote the above>

Danny

• junky
I've no idea about all this IRATA stuff, but when I first started messing around with new routing and shunts I threaded a massive handle of 5mm through that wee hole...not the best plan with hindsight.

These days I just have a small finger and thumb's worth, but to go down a few moves I never use it, I just squeeze it open whilst doing a one arm lock. I'm sure this is totally cowboy, but I'm happy enough that its OK. Still, shuts have always given me the heebie jeebies, but I don't know of any other device thats so handy for working moves. Someone must be able to design something better, half of these petzl devices are fundamentally unchanged since the dawn of time.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
IRATA have now issued a statement and covering info on this http://www.irata.org/

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Was chatting to a well known climber/IRATA assessor/red wine fancier this arvo - shunts are still fine, but for how long before Petzl make us use something much more expensive - who knows? :shrug:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Shunts are still fine IF you want to try and justify their use yourself. Petzl no longer support that choice. That's far from ideal, but the reason everyone hasn't stopped using them is that ASAPs have their own issues. A death with an ASAP will be easier to worm your way out of in court though...

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Ok johnny or bonjoy will know this. The rigg is advised as a level 2 and upwards piece of gear, why can't they just just push the shunt into this "experienced users" category?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal